Not consuming mag and calcium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scottm032
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Scottm032

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
45
Location
Ormond Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tanks is newish. Lots of stony and soft corals. Been running about 5 months now. I add 50 ml/day ALK via doser. I been testing cal and mag this entire time and they’ve both been off the charts the entire time.

Why am I not consuming these elements??

Pic added to show what’s in there

IMG_2194.jpeg
 
My tanks is newish. Lots of stony and soft corals. Been running about 5 months now. I add 50 ml/day ALK via doser. I been testing cal and mag this entire time and they’ve both been off the charts the entire time.

Why am I not consuming these elements??

Pic added to show what’s in there

IMG_2194.jpeg

Numbers are needed.

How much alk is dKh per day? What calcium level and is it still the same as your salt mixc?

Calcium moves much more slowly than alk, and magnesium moves glacially slow.

Coral calcification uses 2.8 dKH for each 19-20 ppm of calcium and only around 1 ppm of magnesium.

Accumulating nitrate and sulfur denitrators deplete alk and not calcium.
 
My tanks is newish. Lots of stony and soft corals. Been running about 5 months now. I add 50 ml/day ALK via doser. I been testing cal and mag this entire time and they’ve both been off the charts the entire time.

Why am I not consuming these elements??

Pic added to show what’s in there

IMG_2194.jpeg
what is that 1" pvc coming down the wall on the left side ?
 
Numbers are needed.

How much alk is dKh per day? What calcium level and is it still the same as your salt mixc?

Calcium moves much more slowly than alk, and magnesium moves glacially slow.

Coral calcification uses 2.8 dKH for each 19-20 ppm of calcium and only around 1 ppm of magnesium.

Accumulating nitrate and sulfur denitrators deplete alk and not calcium.
Thanks Randy. Good information to consider
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new