Not Enough Light or Water Movement?

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received some coral from a friend's tank for the Fluval 13.5 Gallon and they aren't looking as good as they did in his tank.
I'm wondering is it due to lack of water movement or the light?

I have a Fluval CP1 on the way that I hope will be enough for the tank.
The lights are the factory 14000K LEDs.

Any suggestions, should I keep the lights on longer?

Thanks, attached a couple pictures of the coral.

DytJciK.jpg

m01Hekb.jpg

FCC3TRq.jpg

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lighting or flow, generally Duncans and Torches like a good amount of flow. I know Duncans can be temperamental at times for no reason. Just give it some time and if they don't open move them a little- if you can match the previous tank. Also make sure parameters are good.

Hercaluis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received some coral from a friend's tank for the Fluval 13.5 Gallon and they aren't looking as good as they did in his tank.
I'm wondering is it due to lack of water movement or the light?

I have a Fluval CP1 on the way that I hope will be enough for the tank.
The lights are the factory 14000K LEDs.

Any suggestions, should I keep the lights on longer?

Thanks, attached a couple pictures of the coral.

DytJciK.jpg

m01Hekb.jpg

FCC3TRq.jpg

more than likely its the lighting. It may not be sufficient enough. What lights were they under before?

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more than likely its the lighting. It may not be sufficient enough. What lights were they under before?

I was worried about that, then the lid would have to stay off and then kinda defeats the whole purpose of having it all closed up and an all in 1.
Guess I'll see how they do with a bit more water movement and go from there.

They were under T5HOs

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that your sand and rocks are pristine white makes me think this is a very new tank. How old is your tank, and is it fully cycled? What are you current water parameters, and how stable are they? When my tank was still relatively young it went through several phases of various bacterial outbreaks, algae growth, and after stabilizing the corals started looking more healthy. Until you start seeing significant coralline algae growth, you're likely going to go through some issues.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are finicky for awhile. Up to two weeks maybe. The hammer should open immediately and looks ok. Blastos on bottom seem ok. Generally I like to keep hammers away from the sand, especially when they’re that low. They can get sand in their crown and leaves them susceptible to bacterial infection.

Were these just fragged? Sometimes after a fresh fragging, they take a bit to open up. But your lights look really white. Are they meant for reef tanks?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The new light should help with added colors and assure you have proper readings,,,,,,,, salinity 1.025, ph 8.1 - 8.2, moderate water flow.
I assume tank is cycled?
Have you tested water parameters?

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer some of the questions, yeah it's a newer tank, but what I did was transfer cylced media from my old 225 Gallon into this tank.

It's a Fluval All in One 13.5 Gallon.
Been running for a few weeks now, but brand new Live Sand, and rocks that I had bleached due to pest snails. But I filled the media side of the tank full with media and just have hermit crabs in the tank, that I feed every 3 days.

Salinity is at 1.024, ph at 8.0, temp at 77F.
Ammonia and Nitrite was 0, but will check nitrate tomorrow.
Water flow is weak due to the factory pump.

Most of the coral is actually all attached to rock but I buried the rocks under the sand, but will probably move some pieces because of the advise above.
The light is the one that came with the tank and meant for salt but may be too weak.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer some of the questions, yeah it's a newer tank, but what I did was transfer cylced media from my old 225 Gallon into this tank.

It's a Fluval All in One 13.5 Gallon.
Been running for a few weeks now, but brand new Live Sand, and rocks that I had bleached due to pest snails. But I filled the media side of the tank full with media and just have hermit crabs in the tank, that I feed every 3 days.

Salinity is at 1.024, ph at 8.0, temp at 77F.
Ammonia and Nitrite was 0, but will check nitrate tomorrow.
Water flow is weak due to the factory pump.

Most of the coral is actually all attached to rock but I buried the rocks under the sand, but will probably move some pieces because of the advise above.
The light is the one that came with the tank and meant for salt but may be too weak.
If ammonia and nitrites are at 0, I’d consider it cycled. And corals are more forgiving than fish at that point. It’d be nice to get some fish and that will help add nutrients to your tank although, I’m sure that’s not why they’re unhappy. I’d wait awhile and see if they improve. Sometimes corals are like that. Also, 1.024 salinity is a little on the low side. Most keep at 1.025/26.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back