Not gonna give up

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted several different things about my levels in my tank and trying to figure out what’s going on.. after running into an experienced reefer and talking to them about what’s going on. He told me that he has ran into that problem before, what he had to do was replace the sand and rocks in his display basically redone his entire system. I’m wondering if the possibility of hitchhikers that may have died and they are in my rocks and maybe sand. Should I clean out my tank and recycle it with new sand and rocks? Give me your thoughts

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about your tank or problems but depending on the size and situation a rip clean solution is an option. Problem is that you need to determine what caused your situation and learn from it otherwise you will make the same mistakes and end up on the same path with a redone tank.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about your tank or problems but depending on the size and situation a rip clean solution is an option. Problem is that you need to determine what caused your situation and learn from it otherwise you will make the same mistakes and end up on the same path with a redone tank.
That is my plan to see what went wrong, I have a feeling that it’s from my wife cleaning and using fragrance that she boils and it got into my system pretty bad. It’s an 180 gallon tank

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps an ICP is in order first. It could point you to the problem and how to fix it and if it points to a rip clean you’ll that the work you’re going to put in is absolutely necessary.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I wish I would have asked. I’ve seen Triton lab’s mentioned so I went with them. Still waiting on results they take a looooong time since they are in Germany. If I were to do it again I would have posted that question here on R2R and see what the reefing community would suggest. Good luck and I will look forward to seeing your post and see if I could have went with a better, cheaper and faster company. Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I wish I would have asked. I’ve seen Triton lab’s mentioned so I went with them. Still waiting on results they take a looooong time since they are in Germany. If I were to do it again I would have posted that question here on R2R and see what the reefing community would suggest. Good luck and I will look forward to seeing your post and see if I could have went with a better, cheaper and faster company. Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out.
I appreciate it. I’ll make a post and see what is suggested as well

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No additional cost. Just sample the water package it, send it and, wait. Make sure you document info on packaging and within a few days you should have a set of test results after you sign up. It’s really easy.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No additional cost. Just sample the water package it, send it and, wait. Make sure you document info on packaging and within a few days you should have a set of test results after you sign up. It’s really easy.
Awesome. Hopefully I’ll have something this week going

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation and my 250 was far gone spent months trying to figure things out - I took a punch - did a 95%+ water change , started from there, It was easy to manage the levels than putting bandaids with dosing / and what not. I only run now trace / calcium reactor for dosing and never been happier with growth (although i always believe i can do more). There is nothing like a big reset. if its applicable to you.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation and my 250 was far gone spent months trying to figure things out - I took a punch - did a 95%+ water change , started from there, It was easy to manage the levels than putting bandaids with dosing / and what not. I only run now trace / calcium reactor for dosing and never been happier with growth (although i always believe i can do more). There is nothing like a big reset. if its applicable to you.
I have a feeling that’s the route I’m gonna have to go with. I’m gonna do the Icp test first as suggested so that I could find out what went wrong and what to avoid in the future

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap ! not a bad idea. I had my nitrates running at 250 and everything dying. Few things that i did

1) Got a new Trident
2) stopped monitoring nitrates/phosphates and focused on big boys (ph, alk,ca, mg) - only once a month or if i see something is not looking good in my tank
3) started dosing KZ trace elements
4) Switched to ca reactor (although i doubt other dosing method are bad but just too much work - all4reef is a good option as well)
5) increased the flow and increased the light - against all of my understanding nothing died infact everything is growing fast - 2 AI Hydra 64 + 2 blackbox and 2 T5's as supplemental

After big reset I did 10% water change a week for few weeks and then switched to do once a month 10% water change.
EVery quarter I do ICP test - just waiting for my next result.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap ! not a bad idea. I had my nitrates running at 250 and everything dying. Few things that i did

1) Got a new Trident
2) stopped monitoring nitrates/phosphates and focused on big boys (ph, alk,ca, mg) - only once a month or if i see something is not looking good in my tank
3) started dosing KZ trace elements
4) Switched to ca reactor (although i doubt other dosing method are bad but just too much work - all4reef is a good option as well)
5) increased the flow and increased the light - against all of my understanding nothing died infact everything is growing fast - 2 AI Hydra 64 + 2 blackbox and 2 T5's as supplemental

After big reset I did 10% water change a week for few weeks and then switched to do once a month 10% water change.
EVery quarter I do ICP test - just waiting for my next result.
Over the next few months I’m gonna update and replace any thing that will make things better in my system. I hate having to dose a lot in my water, the fewer the better I believe.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should receive the test in a day or two. I appreciate your help
You will see the instructions but you create a simple account on their website and put in your tank info and they upload the water results to your account to view and give you recommendations to fix any problem areas. They test your RO water also.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see the instructions but you create a simple account on their website and put in your tank info and they upload the water results to your account to view and give you recommendations to fix any problem areas. They test your RO water also.
I seen something about the ro water. That would be of great help as well

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back