Not new to hobby but new to Lexington KY area. Need supplier help

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lived in Florida for 30 years and was into Saltwater fish only tanks for 20 back in the 80s and 90s and was on the edge of the reef keeping "start up". I kept 90, 120 and 300 gallon tanks successfully with few losses or problems. Long story short, I'm ready to jump in again. I've got my plans on a 100-120 fish and softy tank for starters, plans in my head for a build on a sump but do not want to take a chance on building the tank. I did build the 120 and 300 but they were all frames in a wall and only had front viewing. I want a free standing tank, drilled with overflows and returns, no tower over flows. Having problems finding a tank supplier that can sell me a glass tank to drill. Any suggestions? Thanks and love the site!!! R2R is awesome source of info and discussion
Ferrell

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a glass company, that is were the tank builders also buy. You are looking follow iron glass that is not tempered to drill. Also try contacting your local reef club, and the members will have the local scope.;) link

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a glass company, that is were the tank builders also buy. You are looking follow iron glass that is not tempered to drill. Also try contacting your local reef club, and the members will have the local scope.;) link
Thank you. I will check into to that. Still in the planning stages for sure but the excitement is back

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Lexington! I dont know of any local places to get a good tank deal. There is an LFS in town called Kentucky Saltwater Supply but I've only ever seen Marineland Tanks in the store. I had a friend get a custom 600g aquarium from Cincinnati Aquarium Design so they may be able to help you out.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I went to KSS and have been scouting up into Cincy and will also try Loisville soon. I can build or order most of the things I need online but didn't want to get killed with the tank shipping cost!! It was so much easier to get a tank together in Florida. Appreciate your input

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any decent stores for fish or coral there? Just 1 store in Owensboro. Some diversity would be nice and its not a bad drive.

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any decent stores for fish or coral there? Just 1 store in Owensboro. Some diversity would be nice and its not a bad drive.
There is a small LFS called Kentucky Saltwater Supply. I get all my food and some misc equipment from them. I haven't been impressed with the quality of livestock but the owner is very friendly and will order whatever you want. I was told by them they were moving into a new location soon so hopefully that will increase all aspects of the store.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small LFS called Kentucky Saltwater Supply. I get all my food and some misc equipment from them. I haven't been impressed with the quality of livestock but the owner is very friendly and will order whatever you want. I was told by them they were moving into a new location soon so hopefully that will increase all aspects of the store.
I hope that is true. The two times I was there i could smell the paints in the air from the shop next door. That can't be good for the fish and corals

Sam Boyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour and half east across the bridge from Ashland is Ricks Coral And Aquatics great prices on fish and best prices on coral.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour and half east across the bridge from Ashland is Ricks Coral And Aquatics great prices on fish and best prices on coral.
Thanks Sam I'll look into it. Does he sell equipment, tanks and all the fixings or just basically fish and corals?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back