Not quite 1 year old nano.

Yeah, I have been doing 20% water changes every 2 weeks, which I heard was ok for newer tanks, but mine is probably not so new now, so I'm sure that's contributing to the Dinos too. So I will go to the rule of thumb I've heard, 20 to 25% once a month and start testing to get a better feel for the parameters once a week or so. So we'll see. Thanks for the advice, I don't run a refugium, so I'll start with the reduced water changes and I may try to lower the display for a while. I have new corals coming soon, so it wouldn't hurt to lower them a bit to allow the newbies to acclimate at the same time.

Why do less water changes while you're battling dinos? I'm doing weekly 20% changes till they are totally gone. My understanding is that dinos are feeding off silicates and phosphates, so water changes would help reduce these.
 
Why do less water changes while you're battling dinos? I'm doing weekly 20% changes till they are totally gone. My understanding is that dinos are feeding off silicates and phosphates, so water changes would help reduce these.
That's funny you say that, I've heard that, but I've also heard that zero nitrate and phosphate also contribute to them, and I don't feed heavy, so I have a suspicion with all of the water changes I'm depleting them. So that is why I do need to test, I want to see what is really going on, so you may be right. Thanks for the input.
 
received_244003776723671.gif
 
Last intro post I promise, but I know people like pics, so this is what I have going on today. My 24 gallon mixed nano with the Dinos problem, amongst other things I'm sure. My 29 gallon community freshwater tank, no issues besides being somewhat of an eyesore, I'm no aquascaper. And my latest is one of those 1.8 ish gallon pennplax aquaterrariums with shrimp which may be my favorite.
Thanks again

IMG_20200430_181703.jpg
 
Welcome to R2R your going to love this place!
 
Hi and welcome from the UK. Very friendly and knowledgeable folk on here, you will love it.
Stay safe
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new