Not sure if I posted in the correct forum.

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please advice. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many forums here are suitable for such a discussion. Where you did is OK, but has more new people in it. The main Reef Discussion forum is a fine place, and this forum is more focused in detailed chemistry, so it is fine here too.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? I would keep the numbers where you have them, raising nitrates slightly. The algae will be there whether you have phosphates and nitrates or not unfortunately. I have made the mistake of bottoming out those numbers several times in the hopes to eliminate GHA only to kill coral, while the algae flourishes. I would increase your CUC and manual removal until everything balances out. Worse case there are chemical methods to control algae (like Vibrant) but use at your own risk.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? I would keep the numbers where you have them, raising nitrates slightly. The algae will be there whether you have phosphates and nitrates or not unfortunately. I have made the mistake of bottoming out those numbers several times in the hopes to eliminate GHA only to kill coral, while the algae flourishes. I would increase your CUC and manual removal until everything balances out. Worse case there are chemical methods to control algae (like Vibrant) but use at your own risk.
Thanks, yes dry rock and sand.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes dry rock and sand.
Yeah, unfortunately starting with dry rock poses some additional challenges......the bacterial diversity takes some time before things balance and algae starts to be outcompeted by things more desirable.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back