Not sure what’s going on

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s going on..so much information and so much contradictory information. I started a new tank. I have live sand, live rock and 2 paired clown fish. No ammonia, no nitrate, no nitrite, ph doesn’t seem to move when enhancer is added, salinity finally moved down from1.026 to 1.024. No other readings seem to move. Tank doesn’t seem to cycle. Clowns are happy and active for the first 12 hours. Any thoughts or recommend actions? CN there be something in the water that is frustrating all tests?

image.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say the tank doesn’t cycle? Did you add an ammonia source? How long has it been up? Did the clowns die? What is Ph?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say the tank doesn’t cycle? Did you add an ammonia source? How long has it been up? Did the clowns die? What is Ph?
I mean fish are an ammonia source. I’ve added a cycle enhancer, I’ve added live rock, live sand. All these things are supposed to add ammonia. Not a single test varies. Ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, nothing. The clowns are thriving. But nothing has changed a test result regardless of what I add. The only thing that changes was salinity from adding fresh water

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean fish are an ammonia source. I’ve added a cycle enhancer, I’ve added live rock, live sand. All these things are supposed to add ammonia. Not a single test varies. Ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, nothing. The clowns are thriving. But nothing has changed a test result regardless of what I add. The only thing that changes was salinity from adding fresh water
If you used real live rock and sand, it likely can handle the tiny bioload created by the clowns and may not need to cycle if so. You can add an ammonia source until it reads 2.0 PPM. If the tank is cycled, it should be back to zero in 24 hours. I’d suggest removing the clowns before dosing ammonia that high.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used real live rock and sand, it likely can handle the tiny bioload created by the clowns.
I get that. I just don’t understand why none of the values are changing and why I don’t see an algae bloom..nothing. My ph has been 8.2 from the beginning but I’ve added 4oz I’d enhancer trying to get 8.4 but it hasn’t moved. Ammonia has always been 0. Nitrate 0. Nitrite 0. How is there no fluctuations? I just don’t believe I can be doing everything perfect

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t catch that. Yeah, ammonia would likely not have a chance to accumulate with just the fish in only 12 hours.

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. I just don’t understand why none of the values are changing and why I don’t see an algae bloom..nothing. My ph has been 8.2 from the beginning but I’ve added 4oz I’d enhancer trying to get 8.4 but it hasn’t moved. Ammonia has always been 0. Nitrate 0. Nitrite 0. How is there no fluctuations? I just don’t believe I can be doing everything perfect
HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN RUNNING?

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i started the tank Thursday. I added clowns monday
So the clowns (the only ammonia source) have only been in the tank 24 hours? That’s not long enough for anything to happen. You’re going to need to up the patience about 1000%

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are far from perfect

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a few weeks to see algae. Algae needs nutrients and time to grow

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clowns (the only ammonia source) have only been in the tank 24 hours? That’s not long enough for anything to happen. You’re going to need to up the patience about 1000%
And take the clowns back to the store!

Upvote 0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s going on..so much information and so much contradictory information. I started a new tank. I have live sand, live rock and 2 paired clown fish. No ammonia, no nitrate, no nitrite, ph doesn’t seem to move when enhancer is added, salinity finally moved down from1.026 to 1.024. No other readings seem to move. Tank doesn’t seem to cycle. Clowns are happy and active for the first 12 hours. Any thoughts or recommend actions? CN there be something in the water that is frustrating all tests?

image.jpg
Why would you say tank has not cycled?

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the live rock is they are also an ammonia source. At the fish store they said they feed the rocks ammonia and they should cycle the tank immediately
I'm not trying to be mean, but you seem to have a very slim grasp of this basic process (the nitrogen cycle). Please do some research and educate yourself about responsible reefing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the live rock is they are also an ammonia source. At the fish store they said they feed the rocks ammonia and they should cycle the tank immediately
The rock is real reef rock. This is my first tank. I don’t know exactly what’s what. And the information out there is so contradictory that it would have you believe you can create an ocean in 20 minutes or shouldn’t even try for 20 years

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back