Not sure what’s going on

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s going on..so much information and so much contradictory information. I started a new tank. I have live sand, live rock and 2 paired clown fish. No ammonia, no nitrate, no nitrite, ph doesn’t seem to move when enhancer is added, salinity finally moved down from1.026 to 1.024. No other readings seem to move. Tank doesn’t seem to cycle. Clowns are happy and active for the first 12 hours. Any thoughts or recommend actions? CN there be something in the water that is frustrating all tests?

image.jpg

OP
OP
J

JeffS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh....
Red beard is right.
As are the rest of us.
Because what you didn't get from his post is just like everything, science is part luck too.
We've all had ups and downs in this hobby, 90% of them having nothing to do with science.
Remember along the way to have fun and respect what you are doing.
Sorry I'm just a regular dummy, not a scientist thought you were on here for advice. We all did the best we could with that my bad
Best of luck.
Ummmm…no. Science is not luck. Science is about as black and white as it gets. Believe me, there are people that have done this thousands of times..the same way..and been successful every time. That’s science. That’s why it works. You and others may have had “luck” figuring out science. But science isn’t luck. I promise you every time you combine 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen you will come up with water. That’s science. And there is a scientific equation to make a reef tank work too.

Upvote 0

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point. Everything must have some scientific reason. I get that.
My life has always been many shades of gray so the black and white thing doesn't compute.
If your rock is truly aged then you skipped the cycle and the clowns should be fine.
Many of us here just care deeply for these animals. That's all.
What I meant by luck is there's more to this hobby than science and I'd hate for you to get so caught up in that that you miss the joy.
You should see some nitrate soon.
Any non scientific questions, let me know.
Best of luck.
Joel

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh....
Red beard is right.
As are the rest of us.
Because what you didn't get from his post is just like everything, science is part luck too.
We've all had ups and downs in this hobby, 90% of them having nothing to do with science.
Remember along the way to have fun and respect what you are doing.
Sorry I'm just a regular dummy, not a scientist thought you were on here for advice. We all did the best we could with that my bad
Best of luck.
Notice that Red Beard is the only one telling him it's ok to keep the fish... I wonder why the OP chose to only listen to him. :thinking-face:

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the live rock is they are also an ammonia source. At the fish store they said they feed the rocks ammonia and they should cycle the tank immediately
If you have a fish store telling you they feed rocks ammonia and it cycles instantly then you should really find a different fish store… when I cycled my tank I started with carib sea rocks and sand. Added my salt water, seed (bottled bacteria), and an ammonia source and let the tank sit for a month and a half.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is real reef rock. This is my first tank. I don’t know exactly what’s what. And the information out there is so contradictory that it would have you believe you can create an ocean in 20 minutes or shouldn’t even try for 20 years
Info on the cycling of the tank isnt that contradictory as its just basic science. And me not being a science person I bought a book for setting saltwater tanks up and the chemistry I needed to watch and test for

Upvote 0

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is real reef rock. This is my first tank. I don’t know exactly what’s what. And the information out there is so contradictory that it would have you believe you can create an ocean in 20 minutes or shouldn’t even try for 20 years
Looks to me like you've only been reading the sources that were most convenient for your goals. Which to me reads like you want everything to happen overnight.

Most of the available information doesn't align with your expectations at all. And information on the nitrogen cycle is pretty dang solid.

Slow down by a factor of 100 at least if you want any success.

My tanks cycled for 6 weeks before anything living touched the water. Adding two little fish and expecting measurable ammonia in a big volume of water with hobby grade tests is so far off reality.

Upvote 0

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it crossed any of your minds that the LFS may have sold him pre cycled rock theyve had sitting in a tub cycling for months already? That his rock could very well be cycled already? That his tank could be doing exactly what it should be at this stage?
I am glad i wasnt treated with this much hostility on my first post or i would have never come back to this site either.

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back