Not sure what my sebae anemone is doing...

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this sebae anemone from my LFS about three days ago and so far he hasn't really attached to anything. I had my circulation fan and return pump off for 24 hours so the current wouldn't blow him around but he did not attach in that time. I've tried placing him on the sand and also on rock and he still won't stick. His mouth is closed from what I can tell and his 'foot' is very sticky. I came home today after being at work for 30 hours (military, long story) and found him in the corner. Not sure if he moved there or was blown by current.

What should I do at this point? I've read it's bad to continually move them around.

Lk41GCF.jpg

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it there and try to feed it once for a week spreading solution of zooplankton round it
Do attention to powerhead since it stick

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, that does not look like a sebae. It looks more like a condy...

I would put it in an area with low flow. I would clear. Some sand down the bottom glass, stick its foot directly on the glass, and place rock rubble around the foot. This might kind of brace it until it attaches...

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It is a Seabae they are sand dwellers he looks to be completely bleached they are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry best to not buy those very bleached ones they usually don't make it if it eats and its tentacles are sticky it might have a fighting chance if not I'd bring it back for a rbta

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
And $50 for a Seabae is kind of pricy especially if it was a Condy that is way over priced!

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tents just look very thick to be a sebae. It does look like it has too many tents for a condy though. Lol actually, not all sebae are sand dwellers... I believe malu are more rock dwellers and crispa sebae to be more sand dwellers....

How about a couple good pic? One showing from the top and one with the whites on?

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better pic for you guys... I dug down a little and nestled him in there against the rock. So far he's stayed put.

4WxP4tx.jpg

WQNzoYc.jpg

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
That's a seabae and I don't think your water quality is a problem I see a lot of coraline growth your best bet is to try feeding it and see if it eats feed small bits at a time like some brine or mysids and see if it sticks it and moves it to its mouth :)

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a bleached H. crispa. (( Sebae is a common name for both H. crispa and H. malu )). H. crispas can be found both in the sandbed and in the rocks. H. malu is strictly sandbed dwelling.

Ignoring the fact that it is bleached, it doesn't look too bad. The tentacles still have some length on them --- so it hasn't fully started consuming itself for energy.
What size tank do you have?
What lights? (( what lights was it under and are you acclimating it to your lights? ))
Current water parameters -- with numbers please.
Are your powerheads covered?

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g tank with 10g sump. Last time I checked my ammonia it was 0 and nitrates at 0. PH was 8.3 and alkalinity was 11 dKh. Tank has been set up for about 4 months and was started with cured live rock from LFS.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I woke up today around 6am for work and noticed that the anemone had flipper over and was stuck under some rock. I'm not sure if it got carried away by current or tried to move and there was a mishap. Either way I returned him to his original spot and left for work. I got home around 5:15pm and it looks as if the nem may have attached. As you can see, the currently is 'lifting' him up but he is staying in place. Also hard to see in the pic but it does look like the foot may be stuck to the rock.

Also does anyone know what that orange thing is on the nem? Looks like there might be something crusty around it. Too hard to get a clear photo up close unfortunately. I tried feeding the nem some mysis shrimp last night but I don't think it accepted it.

8ZB7K0D.jpg

LRpP5sy.jpg

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g tank with 10g sump. Last time I checked my ammonia it was 0 and nitrates at 0. PH was 8.3 and alkalinity was 11 dKh. Tank has been set up for about 4 months and was started with cured live rock from LFS.

If it recovers, it will over take that tank --- I had one years ago that took up 1/3 of a 75.
What is your salinity/SG?
What lights do you have? Are you acclimating it to your lights.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Orbit Marine Pro from Current USA, currently have blue channel set to 60% intensity and white channel to 40% intensity. My SG is 1.026.

I'm going to contact the LFS on Tuesday to see if he'll take him back - yet again today I came back home to find the 'nem stuck under some rock, completely upside down. Not sure if current carried him away or if he tried to move or what happened. I'm worried that this $50 investment is about to go down the drain, literally.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the sebae anemone saga continues. Two times now he's been flipped over and stuck under rock so I continued to play with the powerheads and finally found a spot where I'm confident he's latched on. It's not the most ideal place, but I just want him to be happy and to regenerate to zooanthellae. This is the most 'open' I've seen him in the last 24 hours.

Sorry for the algae, it looks MUCH worse in this photo then it does in real life haha. *nervous laugh*

Dq7qtcY.jpg

OTNCGeN.jpg

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep up your water quality and watch your lights --- at this point you don't want to give it too much light. In fact I would back down the lights a bit. Can either use the settings, or put window screening b/t the tank and the lights. I usually use 3 layers (( supported by egg crate )), and remove a layer every 5 days or so.

For the future, remember when it comes to hosting anemones, white ones are to be avoided.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the 'nem some mysis shrimp for the first time. I think he spit some of it out but I also think he ate some! Fingers crossed.

uLoTqix.jpg

5QleYpH.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back