Not sure what this is.

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Got 4 Springeri Damsel Fish from my LFS had them order them they stayed in the shipping bags never touched there water brought them home floated the bags and then gave them an H2O2 dip. Followed Humboldt fish. Then put them in my 10 gallon QT tank with prazipro for 4 days did the water change today and gave them there 2nd H2O2 dip pulled this guy out first. I noticed 2 days ago he was loosing fin. The other 3 fish stay on the opposite side of the tank from this guy theres no aggression or anything so... i pulled him out first to take a closser look and noticed the what look like whitish sores on his body coming up from his tail fin, which his tail is gone its just a nub. He is also loosing some top fin in the back above the spots. The spots are only on the one side, the other side is still blue. So he is separated now the other 3 are back in QT. the other 3 have ZERO signs of what this guy has and the 3 eat and get along great.
The one with the problem he eats not as actively as the other 3. He does swim around, he STRUGGLES but he does swim around and eat some. So he got a lil more aggressive H2o2 dip alone in his own specimen container. His respiration rate looks fine and he dosnt bob or swim all messed up just wiggles REALLY fast cause he is missing his whole back tail. From my research i think it might be urinema. Which aside from formaldehyde dips which i dont feel comfortable doing cause i have small children at home. All i know that can help is h2o2 dips and anecdotally people have said that putting in a very well established tank with great micro biom can in a way take care of it in a probiotic type of way helping it heal but my Display tank is only 8 weeks old so that is not helpful nor would i want to introduce that to my DT. So can i get some 2nd opinions on what this is and if there is a way to help him out. Ive got metroplex, focus, and canaplex on hand along with nitrofurazone. Thank you all for any help.

20230130_193926.jpg 20230130_193937.jpg 16751381761377141589333425293130.jpg 16751382142347843923490882671414.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the result of infection that stemmed from injuries. Damsels are not friendly, even the nice guys, so it’s likely the rest all ganged up on this one.
Try treating with seachem kanaplex and keep it isolated from the other damsels, but at this level of damage, it may never heal properly (if it survives).

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the result of infection that stemmed from injuries. Damsels are not friendly, even the nice guys, so it’s likely the rest all ganged up on this one.
Try treating with seachem kanaplex and keep it isolated from the other damsels, but at this level of damage, it may never heal properly (if it survives).
Thats what i was afraid of was he got ****ed up by all the other fish at the distributor and he got infected really bad i waa hoping that if i can save him then he can go in my frag quarantine tank and can still eat bugs and whatnot but not run the risk of getting sucked into an MP40 powerhead cause he canot swim very fast.
But if its urinema then Im really not sure i should risk trying to keep him around

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Full aggression and will be difficult while not impossible to get healed.
as long as fish is isolated and eating- will offer its best chance.
Treatment to prevent infection will be seachem kanaplex or neoplex in a quarantine tank with added aeration

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full aggression and will be difficult while not impossible to get healed.
as long as fish is isolated and eating- will offer its best chance.
Treatment to prevent infection will be seachem kanaplex or neoplex in a quarantine tank with added aeration
Ok awesome he is currently isolated he isnt doing the greates im gunna have to go get a lil 3 gallon tank or something from petco for him tomorrow to treat him separately for awhile

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok awesome he is currently isolated he isnt doing the greates im gunna have to go get a lil 3 gallon tank or something from petco for him tomorrow to treat him separately for awhile
Walmart sells starter kits also that has most of the essentials

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just woke up and saw this. There may not be anything you can do for this damsel, the tissue loss is pretty severe. Based on the location of the damage (the tail and a few random sites on the body) I would say this is from one of the other damsels. You won't often see this sort of aggression because when you are watching the fish, they stop fighting and watch you. Also, there may be an infection component to this - where the original damage may have been less, but then bacteria grew that consumed more of the tissue. Isolate and treat with antibiotics as they said is the best course of action. Lowering the salinity/specific gravity to 1.020 can also help with osmotic stress due to the fish's damaged skin.

As for it being Uronema - possible, but very unlikely. This species of damsel isn't prone to that disease, and the fin being involved points more to damage of some sort.

As a side note - you should NEVER dip newly shipped fish, not in H2O2, freshwater or formalin. Fish that have been shipped overnight arrive highly stressed and in water with a low pH and high ammonia, they should not be exposed to the added acute stress of a dip. The fish should "rest" in a stable tank for 48 to 72 hours before beginning any treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just woke up and saw this. There may not be anything you can do for this damsel, the tissue loss is pretty severe. Based on the location of the damage (the tail and a few random sites on the body) I would say this is from one of the other damsels. You won't often see this sort of aggression because when you are watching the fish, they stop fighting and watch you. Also, there may be an infection component to this - where the original damage may have been less, but then bacteria grew that consumed more of the tissue. Isolate and treat with antibiotics as they said is the best course of action. Lowering the salinity/specific gravity to 1.020 can also help with osmotic stress due to the fish's damaged skin.

As for it being Uronema - possible, but very unlikely. This species of damsel isn't prone to that disease, and the fin being involved points more to damage of some sort.

As a side note - you should NEVER dip newly shipped fish, not in H2O2, freshwater or formalin. Fish that have been shipped overnight arrive highly stressed and in water with a low pH and high ammonia, they should not be exposed to the added acute stress of a dip. The fish should "rest" in a stable tank for 48 to 72 hours before beginning any treatment.

Jay
Ok thank you

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Please stay away from Petco, I had a really bad experience with them. Petsmart is the greatest for quality and best customer service. Sorry I can't help you with this but you just got the best advice from others.

Back