Not sure what's up with these corals, too much light?

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing some monti I've had since I started my system. I'm thinking it could be too much lighting, my alkalinity was sky high a few weeks back but these montis have been STN since about Christmas time. I have a full sized one that is completely healthy and it seems only these two are doing bad. Any tips I would appreciate, I was thinking of prying them off the rocks and putting something else on, also I was told it could be monti eating nudibranches. I have a 6 line and lunar wrasse already.

Screenshot_20210302-111610_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210302-111642_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210302-111717_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
EuphylliaAddict

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-112139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-112139_Gallery.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 42

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a relationship between the nutrients in your system and the light your corals can accept. basically, if you get too lean on feedings your coral will pale out eventually resulting in bleaching with too much lighting.
also it pays to mention, in my system montipora cap is more sensitive than any other coral and i would not adjust anything to suit one coral if the rest weren't showing distress as well. that being said, there is nothing wrong with investigating to make sure nutrients and light aren't the only issue.

OP
OP
EuphylliaAddict

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a relationship between the nutrients in your system and the light your corals can accept. basically, if you get too lean on feedings your coral will pale out eventually resulting in bleaching with too much lighting.
also it pays to mention, in my system montipora cap is more sensitive than any other coral and i would not adjust anything to suit one coral if the rest weren't showing distress as well. that being said, there is nothing wrong with investigating to make sure nutrients and light aren't the only issue.
I actually have an icp test that may be worth using.

My parameters are:
Alk:9.6dkh
Calcium:420-430ppm
Mag:1480ppm
Po4:0.14ppm
Nitrate:<5ppm
Temp is usually around 78-80°
Lights are t5/ai hydras I run a 12 hour photo with 2 hour ramp time on hydras and 6 hours of t5 for full spectrum...

Im thinking I'll just let it die and grow coraline and then I'll just out acros on top of it. I'm in the process of trying to graph the purple and the orange I'm not sure they'll accept each other or not. Would be a shame to lose them but as long as it's not nudibranches I'll be ok, no other monti seems that way, I have digi that does good and digi that doesn't and the stuff doing good is a few inches off the top of the water.... I just am not sure about where to place corals yet, sometimes they thrive while others struggle but in the same conditions....

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have an icp test that may be worth using.

My parameters are:
Alk:9.6dkh
Calcium:420-430ppm
Mag:1480ppm
Po4:0.14ppm
Nitrate:<5ppm
Temp is usually around 78-80°
Lights are t5/ai hydras I run a 12 hour photo with 2 hour ramp time on hydras and 6 hours of t5 for full spectrum...

Im thinking I'll just let it die and grow coraline and then I'll just out acros on top of it. I'm in the process of trying to graph the purple and the orange I'm not sure they'll accept each other or not. Would be a shame to lose them but as long as it's not nudibranches I'll be ok, no other monti seems that way, I have digi that does good and digi that doesn't and the stuff doing good is a few inches off the top of the water.... I just am not sure about where to place corals yet, sometimes they thrive while others struggle but in the same conditions....

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
coral placement in my experience is a game of pin the tail on the donkey. 5" in any direction changes the light and flow enough that a coral can go from clinging to life to thriving or the exact opposite. don't be afraid to move it if the coral looks like its losing the battle or the polyps don't extend.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back