Not the time of year for Live Aquaria

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this place... but maybe not any longer. They don't seem to know what to do during cold weather. This is the second shipment with frozen dead fish in 1 week. They send me one little fish in a 10x16 box with one heat pack and no popcorn filling. Everyone knows how shipping centers handle boxes so why not take that into consideration?

All I need is one more fish!!! argh!!

20161220_155602.jpg

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww poor guys:( I'm sorry to hear that, it's a shame the fish had to suffer because if improper packaging.
I know. I feel bad for ordering them, really. I can't get quality fish here so it's my only resort. That said, I've never had an issue and I've ordered this time of year before. For some reason though, they just aren't going the extra mile to make sure they arrive alive. Sad.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA is 0 for 2 for me so far in the last two weeks. I ordered fish from DD and LA at the same time twice in the last week and the DD fish are packed great and arrive in great shape, the LA fish have had at least one belly up in the bag.

Just received my package today and the single fish from DD the package was 10 pounds, the package from LA that had 4 fish was only 9.4 pounds!

At least they are great to work with when you do have issues but I would much rather not lose a fish in a shipment.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've always done an exemplary job for me in the winter but in fairness I purchase larger quantities of fish. That doesn't excuse the unnecessary death of the fish from negligence but certainly there's more margin for packing supplies on larger orders. I would call customer service obviously and if this becomes a recurring issue we shouldn't order from them in the winter.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've always done an exemplary job for me in the winter but in fairness I purchase larger quantities of fish. That doesn't excuse the unnecessary death of the fish from negligence but certainly there's more margin for packing supplies on larger orders. I would call customer service obviously and if this becomes a recurring issue we shouldn't order from them in the winter.
I agree completely. LA has always done a great job. I have never lost a fish from them. Any other time I would highly recommend.

What has happened here, almost seemed like a slap in the face. The shipment before this one arrived cold with dead fish. They gave me a credit and I went to pick out another fish. While entering payment info, I sent them a message explaining what happened with the last shipment and suggested extra heat packs. I mean, even the last box came with popcorn. And then now, this box again comes with one heat pack but this time, no popcorn. Unbelievable.

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the retail side of Sustainable Aquatics. Their website is www.coralreeftn.com.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really poor packing job! I know they have really good customer service but....too bad for the poor fish. I have ordered fresh water fish from them before @ like .99c each and they came loaded with packing peanuts in the styrofoam "cooler". Think of the beating the bag took in that big box during shipping! Sad. That being said, it took me darn near a half hour to open, get out the peanuts and un-bag the 4-5 layers of bags around my last purchase from divers den....

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I just got a shipment from them 5 days ago that had 3 small fish (an exquisite firefish, Yasha's goby and a yellow watchman goby). It was a good sized box and it was packed with insulation and had 3 large warmers taped to the inside the lid of the styrofoam container that covered the entire surface of the lid. Nothing like the sorry job on yours.

I'm guessing someone was interrupted while packing your shipment and seriously messed up.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said they do an awesome job packing with the DD but the LA side is not quite the same. Hopefully they can get this corrected on their end and for you!

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a half an hour ago I received an Aussie Elegance coral from them (Diver's Den.) It was beautifully packed with heat packs. Thank goodness because UPS didn't see the need to deliver by 10:30am and delivered the package more than 4 1/2 hours late. Last night was the coldest night of the year in my town in northern California and the temp dropped to a record 28°F.

Lesson learned: Don't order livestock in December. The delivery services are overwhelmed with Christmas presents and your delicate fish or coral may get lost in the shuffle.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered from Blue Zoo recently?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back