Not Your Typical Apex Toggle Switch Box

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came today and ill say it was so easy to setup (and im not a Apex guru). Took me 20-30 minutes to program everything and i was set. Gotta decide what im gonna use them all for but i think i got it down. One momentary still open (idk what im gonna use that for.)

Overall i like it.

770610F5-440D-431B-BABB-BAA35F71587E.jpeg

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my box too! Very excited to set this up this weekend. Thank you for designing this.

I hope it's appropriate to ask this question here in case it helps others. My ATO alarms every so often for unknown reasons. I would like to set one of my momentary switches just to reset my ATO. Is this the right programing for cutting off power while button is depressed and power restored as soon as button is released?

If Swx7_1 CLOSED Then OFF

Or do I have to set up the virtual outlet as described in the first post?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my box too! Very excited to set this up this weekend. Thank you for designing this.

I hope it's appropriate to ask this question here in case it helps others. My ATO alarms every so often for unknown reasons. I would like to set one of my momentary switches just to reset my ATO. Is this the right programing for cutting off power while button is depressed and power restored as soon as button is released?

If Swx7_1 CLOSED Then OFF

Or do I have to set up the virtual outlet as described in the first post?
If thats a momentary it will only shut off then back on.

You will need to program a defer. I have one of my momentary set for my ato to turn off but only for 3:30 but this defer is also programmed for everything else like water changes and if i shut the return pump off. Is this the correct way. Idk but seems to work. (I renamed Switch 2 to ATO_SW)
See pic.
4CE29D46-8428-4967-8540-790137351490.png

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thats a momentary it will only shut off then back on.

You will need to program a defer. I have one of my momentary set for my ato to turn off but only for 3:30 but this defer is also programmed for everything else like water changes and if i shut the return pump off. Is this the correct way. Idk but seems to work. (I renamed Switch 2 to ATO_SW)
See pic.
4CE29D46-8428-4967-8540-790137351490.png
Thank you! That is what I am looking for - immediately shut off and then back on. The reason is because when I have a tank sitter and the ATO alarms for no reason, I want an easy way for them to reset it without having to log into fusion and learning how to use it.

Thank you for the code though! I will need it for the other switches.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed 11 days ago through fixreef.com/contact as instructed... No response yet. Not in spam.

Hi Sean,
I don't think I received anything from you... but I did from others. Must have been a glitch. Sorry about that :(

Currently sold out of the parts that I had. More is coming in a couple of weeks. If you'd like, I can put you on waiting list for the next run.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That is what I am looking for - immediately shut off and then back on. The reason is because when I have a tank sitter and the ATO alarms for no reason, I want an easy way for them to reset it without having to log into fusion and learning how to use it.

Thank you for the code though! I will need it for the other switches.
What I also found on the momentary switches you have to push wait a second then release. It can no be a quick touch or it won’t activate.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I also found on the momentary switches you have to push wait a second then release. It can no be a quick touch or it won’t activate.
It does depend on when you press the button. There is no way to time it. Apex head unit polls the toggle box every so often, perhaps once every second. It you happen to press it right before the poll, it will register immediately. Otherwise, it may take a second or so. There is no way to time it.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does depend on when you press the button. There is no way to time it. Apex head unit polls the toggle box every so often, perhaps once every second. It you happen to press it right before the poll, it will register immediately. Otherwise, it may take a second or so. There is no way to time it.
I've been happy with it overall.

I did find the way i had it originally mounted; I shut the cabinet it would push on the USB cord and sometimes send me an alert that the module was unplugged. So i swapped it around and have the cord come out the other side. Hasn't done it again

I need to look for a flat sided USB maybe and see if that will clean it up a bit assuming USB is USB.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I wish there would be a module that can have lots of 24DC outlets that can be controlled from Apex just like the native 24DC (not 1Link) outlets that come with EB832 and 1Link modules. 2 of those ports is not enough. I like to use them to power simple dosing and ATO pumps.

Or those many outlets cold be used to control just about anything via relays.

GHL has done that with DIN mountable unit but limited to 6 (which matches their power strip) relays and its for sale for the same price as the strip which outside of some specific scenarios that you're building own own control cabinet it just doesnt make sense.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... One could, however, create a module that emulates something like an EB832, but just for the purpose of the 24v outlets for example. But that's because the head unit already supports that type of module and the communication.

or many EB832s in single enclosure (up-linked internally) or offered as DIY modules one can mount in own enclosure and choose how many with 24V outlets,

oh I love where this is going already.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new update to the project. By popular demand, the new version of the toggle box comes with custom symbols laser etched on the switch buttons:

IMG_1267 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1268 - Copy.JPG

The top row (1-3) are the momentary buttons that can be programmed to trigger an event for a predefined period of time.

For example:

#1 can be programmed for feed mode which triggers pump shut off for 10-15 minutes.
#2 would temporarily shut certain pumps for dosing
#3 shuts off some equipment during testing

The bottom row (4-6) are the latching buttons which can be used to turn equipment on/off until the button is pressed again.

#4 shuts off pumps for a water change
#5 is the emergency stop
#6 adjusts lights for photography

The etched symbols do not light up when pressed, but they are still useful to help visually differentiate the functionality of each button. You can completely ignore them and do your own programming or you can program each button with the functionality that matches the symbol.

IMG_1270 - Copy.JPG

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A new update to the project. By popular demand, the new version of the toggle box comes with custom symbols laser etched on the switch buttons:

IMG_1267 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1268 - Copy.JPG

The top row (1-3) are the momentary buttons that can be programmed to trigger an event for a predefined period of time.

For example:

#1 can be programmed for feed mode which triggers pump shut off for 10-15 minutes.
#2 would temporarily shut certain pumps for dosing
#3 shuts off some equipment during testing

The bottom row (4-6) are the latching buttons which can be used to turn equipment on/off until the button is pressed again.

#4 shuts off pumps for a water change
#5 is the emergency stop
#6 adjusts lights for photography

The etched symbols do not light up when pressed, but they are still useful to help visually differentiate the functionality of each button. You can completely ignore them and do your own programming or you can program each button with the functionality that matches the symbol.

IMG_1270 - Copy.JPG
PM Sent!!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the etched symbols don't light up, but I assume the buttons still do?

What color buttons are currently available?

Can I choose to NOT have the pictures etched on the buttons?

This is SUCH a cool idea :)

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the etched symbols don't light up, but I assume the buttons still do?

What color buttons are currently available?

Can I choose to NOT have the pictures etched on the buttons?

This is SUCH a cool idea :)
Thank you!
Correct, the buttons are all illuminated, but not the icons. All four colors (RGBY) are still available.
I don't have any buttons without icons left though...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not so fast... With this specific module you can't send anything from Apex to the module. Because you are at the mercy of the head unit. Modules are passive, they can't make the head unit do what it's not programmed to do. One could, however, create a module that emulates something like an EB832, but just for the purpose of the 24v outlets for example. But that's because the head unit already supports that type of module and the communication.

Perhaps I missed it, did this ever come to fruition?

Either that or just bunch of relay allowing end user to use as desired.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I missed it, did this ever come to fruition?

Either that or just bunch of relay allowing end user to use as desired.
Not yet. I need some critical mass in terms of interest to design something like this. Oh, and some free time also ;)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not yet. I need some critical mass in terms of interest to design something like this. Oh, and some free time also ;)

Stackable boards with 8 relays per board or DIN mountable modules with 8 N/O or N/C relays. I can see many, many people going crazy doing their own outlet/boards based off of this. I'd take 4 or more off the bat if price was right.

Imagine stacking 4 boards, plug in one USB into the apex and bam - 4 EB8s show up! Oof the possibilities!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back