Noticed Dinos recently on my birdsnest and other random spots

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don’t they just hang around. As I said in the earlier post I blew them off at 1AM the other night and they grew back by 9AM
Are you sure? Have you observed them overnight without blowing them off the rocks? My moon light is enough to keep them around but the majority disappear until my simulated sunrise.
I just started uv this evening along with reduced photo period (- 4hours, 2 during peak) and intensity reduced to 50% in acclaimation mode for a month. Lettuce pray.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Zeal. After reading through this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/optimal-phosphate-level-mixed-reef.678080/

Ive concluded that your po4 being at .1ppm and nitrate at 10, you should infact increase your po4 slowly to 1ppm to be in a better position with the dinos and coral health in general.
It makes sense. My reef was running amazing with no detectable nitrate and .01phosphate until i went and screwed things up and overdosed nitrate.

Thank you to @living_tribunal for THIS!!!

Screenshot_20200110-121837_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200110-122106_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Zeal. After reading through this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/optimal-phosphate-level-mixed-reef.678080/

Ive concluded that your po4 being at .1ppm and nitrate at 10, you should infact increase your po4 slowly to 1ppm to be in a better position with the dinos and coral health in general.
It makes sense. My reef was running amazing with no detectable nitrate and .01phosphate until i went and screwed things up and overdosed nitrate.

Thank you to @living_tribunal for THIS!!!

Screenshot_20200110-121837_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200110-122106_Chrome.jpg
Idk o need proof. One persons aging one thing does mean anything

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof is in the puddin there....

Im at 500x nitrate over phosphate.... coral health quickly declined and dinos reared their ugly head after nearly 10 years of never dealing with them.

Unless you just want to reduce the phosphates and let us know how it works for you. Ill be dosing more phosphate as soon as i get home to get it closer to 1ppm.

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've ran into the same issue, i wasn't trying to do ULNS, but got dinos anyway. my po4 was like .1 and no3 was 10ish. so i removed GFO and was kinda hoping it'd go away with a little extra fish feeding, but that didn't seem to be doing it, so i started doing the hydrogen peroxide thing. my alkalinity consumption dropped to near zero too so my doser has been off for a month plus

i didn't do the blackout, but i did change my lighting to only blues and lowered the photoperiod so i can do a couple doses of h2o2 at night and in the morning before the lights come on. 1 mL per 10 gallons once at night and once in the morning is what i've been doing. i haven't seen the dinos in a few days so hopefully it's working. i guess i'll slowly start increasing lighting and keep doing a half dose of h2o2 at night..

reef safe wise h2o2 seems to be ok, although i do have a blasto colony on the strugglebus, but idk if that's dino related or the h2o2. i haven't noticed any inverts having a bad time, urchins are fine and no new dead snails or crabs.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the dinos are knocked back pretty good from combined uv overnight and less photo period coupled with blowing them into the water column. Ill report back tomorrow. Only a couple bubbles and strands remain.
Let us know how your attack goes!

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed Phosphate E in the skimmer 2ML and filterpad 2ML. Water got cloudy nearly instantly lets see what happens.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue is much more clear. My filter pad is literally brown. Just replaced it going to dose late tonight once more and rest test in the morning. No live stock dead or struggling everyone seems happy. Corals are happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is the filter pad. I changed this filter pad yesterday around this time and it never gets this dirty in under 24 hours. All in did yesterday to the tank was feed alittle bit of LRS food about the size of a thumbnail.

0B8BF7CC-582A-4376-B963-6B4713AD0126.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it forsure dropped your phosphate. Let us know how the dinos seem to be handling it.
Is that a boyd polyfilter pad? I think it will bind phosphates as well.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay lots of so so advice. I had the same issue adding additional live rock to my tank leaching minerals. Dinos can thrive on an abundant of trace elements. Not just nitrate and phosphate. I would stop wc for 2 weeks. Do a 3 day black out. The more you blow dinos off in my experance the more they spread and the faster the birds nest will have issues. Dont freak out and change a ton stuff real fast. Just let it run its course. If you are freaked about nitrate phosphate skim hard and add some dr Tim's waste away. I did all that and my tank bounced back in 7 days with crystal clear water. Gl note my system is a ultra low .01 phosphate .5 nitrate

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it forsure dropped your phosphate. Let us know how the dinos seem to be handling it.
Is that a boyd polyfilter pad? I think it will bind phosphates as well.
Believe so. Forgot the name. But all seems well.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay lots of so so advice. I had the same issue adding additional live rock to my tank leaching minerals. Dinos can thrive on an abundant of trace elements. Not just nitrate and phosphate. I would stop wc for 2 weeks. Do a 3 day black out. The more you blow dinos off in my experance the more they spread and the faster the birds nest will have issues. Dont freak out and change a ton stuff real fast. Just let it run its course. If you are freaked about nitrate phosphate skim hard and add some dr Tim's waste away. I did all that and my tank bounced back in 7 days with crystal clear water. Gl note my system is a ultra low .01 phosphate .5 nitrate
This may sound crazy but I knew my tank was acting up because my acans and my hammer coral were closed. Usually when my hammerhead is closed up its a clear indication that something is up. Right now it's open.

Also im sucking out the dinos into a small turkey baster and shooting them into a filter pad and letting the water go back into the tank.

I cant stop doing WC, ive been doing them weekly for a year and a half and I just cant break that cycle.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is that nobody knows how to solve the issue.

True. But the fact my filter pad is that dirty after 24 hours and me adding phosphate E and 1AM and 12 hours later it’s that dirty says a lot. Clear indication that some type of funk was exported out

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But the fact my filter pad is that dirty after 24 hours and me adding phosphate E and 1AM and 12 hours later it’s that dirty says a lot. Clear indication that some type of funk was exported out
That's true. The question is if this helps your situation or not

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back