OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, tank was filled with RO/DI, and I used/mixed Nyos Pure salt in the tank. I only did this for the initial fill, I have a couple of Brute bins for mixing now that the initial fill is complete.

Tank cycling started last night using Microbacter XLM.

I also purchased a UV sterilizer (25w UV aqua) for future install off of the R2R marketplace and an ATO reservoir from Bashsea.

If you all are interested in the cycling data (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) let me know; I can certainly post the results.
IMG_1058.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still cycling. Parameters are below, and going much slower than I anticipated using Microbacter XLM.

DateTimepHAlkalinity (dKh)Ammonia (ppm)Nitrite
1/3/20248:00pm8.272
1/4/202412:30pm8.12.01
1/5/202410:00am8.12.01
1/6/202411:52am8.11.8.05
1/7/202410:47am8.11.8.1
1/8/20248:00am8.11.8.18
1/9/20249:00am8.11.8.18
1/10/202410:30am8.11.8.18
1/11/20249:00am8.11.7.2
1/12/20249:00am1.6.3
1/13/20249:00am1.6.3

I think the diatoms have also begun to generate in the tank…

IMG_1086.jpeg IMG_1085.jpeg

Update Jan 20, 2024: Still cycling, parameters have really not changed, and the above is likely not diatoms as I have seen no increased growth since this picture was taken.

Last edited:

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So here is the scape in the tank. I feel it should go a bit higher. Thoughts? The highest point is at 12”. My assumption when full is that there will be 18 inches of water over a 1.5in sand bed. So the bottom 1.5 inches of scape will be covered by the sand.

Should the scape go higher? And if so, which part(s) would you increase height on?

That's beautiful! What made you decide on sand vs bare bottom?

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's beautiful! What made you decide on sand vs bare bottom?
A personal preference, I like the look of sand…seems more natural to me, and also leaves me open to gobies, etc. I recognize, however that there will be increased maintenance, so ask me again in one year. :)

redseaenroute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I almost never post online... Like EVER. Maybe once or twice in the past 5 years. I just seek out info and then disappear... I tell you this because it takes quite a bit for me to actively engage with random people online. But after seeing this RECENT thread related to the MAX 350... I had too. I recently moved into a new home and have been without my saltwater for about 5 years now. It eats at me everyday that I don't have a tank going. Finally in a situation to kind of "go all out". I've settled in that exact setup. 350 MAX with all the matching Red Sea equipment. All of it.

I have extreme OCD when it comes to my tanks. I've been staring at a painters tape layout and measuring down to the inch every little detail over the past two weeks as I prepare myself to plug in my debit card numbers and make the leap. I just gotta say.... That scape is PERFECT. Well done. For a new saltwater aquarium owner you are absolutely on track! The fact that you take advice and make adjustments based on that advice tells me that you will succeed in this hobby. Please keep up with the posts. The lessons learned from you regarding this specific setup would be priceless for me!

Again... Absolutely phenomenal job. I'm truly envious that you beat me to it!

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I almost never post online... Like EVER. Maybe once or twice in the past 5 years. I just seek out info and then disappear... I tell you this because it takes quite a bit for me to actively engage with random people online. But after seeing this RECENT thread related to the MAX 350... I had too. I recently moved into a new home and have been without my saltwater for about 5 years now. It eats at me everyday that I don't have a tank going. Finally in a situation to kind of "go all out". I've settled in that exact setup. 350 MAX with all the matching Red Sea equipment. All of it.

I have extreme OCD when it comes to my tanks. I've been staring at a painters tape layout and measuring down to the inch every little detail over the past two weeks as I prepare myself to plug in my debit card numbers and make the leap. I just gotta say.... That scape is PERFECT. Well done. For a new saltwater aquarium owner you are absolutely on track! The fact that you take advice and make adjustments based on that advice tells me that you will succeed in this hobby. Please keep up with the posts. The lessons learned from you regarding this specific setup would be priceless for me!

Again... Absolutely phenomenal job. I'm truly envious that you beat me to it!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! And I look forward to hearing how your build comes along as well. I have been pleased with the all Red Sea kit thus far, and they worked with me in resolving an ATO pump issue that I was facing.

I am sure you know, but don’t forget to get back ups in case of primary failure.

My build is going quite slow and first fish are going to be in the tank next week. As most do, and regret later for their aggressiveness, I purchased two clowns, two Royal Grammas, and one fire fish from Dr. Reef’s (Quarentined). I had hoped to QT my own fish and have set up a 10 gallon. Unfortunately, the cycle seems to be stuck with high nitrites. I have been waiting over 3 weeks for that to come down and have even added more starter culture and also added Dr. Tim’s one and only to try to get some movement with the nitrites, but no luck so far…

Thus the purchase of pre-quarentined fish…the family and I have gotten very bored looking at the empty, cycled, DT!

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the vote of confidence! And I look forward to hearing how your build comes along as well. I have been pleased with the all Red Sea kit thus far, and they worked with me in resolving an ATO pump issue that I was facing.

I am sure you know, but don’t forget to get back ups in case of primary failure.

My build is going quite slow and first fish are going to be in the tank next week. As most do, and regret later for their aggressiveness, I purchased two clowns, two Royal Grammas, and one fire fish from Dr. Reef’s (Quarentined). I had hoped to QT my own fish and have set up a 10 gallon. Unfortunately, the cycle seems to be stuck with high nitrites. I have been waiting over 3 weeks for that to come down and have even added more starter culture and also added Dr. Tim’s one and only to try to get some movement with the nitrites, but no luck so far…

Thus the purchase of pre-quarentined fish…the family and I have gotten very bored looking at the empty, cycled, DT!

As I understand (and I could be wrong, so fact check me!), nitrite is not harmful to marine fish. As long as the ammonia is gone (or minimal) I would go ahead and add the fish. The cycle will eventually get sorted. You at least have what you need to deal with the ammonia from the fish.

Again, double check me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand (and I could be wrong, so fact check me!), nitrite is not harmful to marine fish. As long as the ammonia is gone (or minimal) I would go ahead and add the fish. The cycle will eventually get sorted. You at least have what you need to deal with the ammonia from the fish.

Again, double check me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thanks for this! I may pick up another fish for the QT tank this weekend then! With the full treatment, it will be at least 4-6 weeks before it would go into the DT, so should be plenty of time for the DT to re-cycle after the initial fish add.

Next is to find some corals!

redseaenroute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I may pick up another fish for the QT tank this weekend then! With the full treatment, it will be at least 4-6 weeks before it would go into the DT, so should be plenty of time for the DT to re-cycle after the initial fish add.

Next is to find some corals!
Just curious what test kit you're using? Have you bounced it off a different brand kit? Just to make sure you're not getting a false positive.

Also... You pushed me over the edge. I should have shipping info on my pallet sometime next week (hopefully!)

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what test kit you're using? Have you bounced it off a different brand kit? Just to make sure you're not getting a false positive.

Also... You pushed me over the edge. I should have shipping info on my pallet sometime next week (hopefully!)
Excellent! Make sure you have help bringing the tank into the house/garage….

The delivery guys left it by my curb with no notification aside from date of delivery. Luckily I knew some of the guys at my neighbors place and they helped me bring it into the house.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for test kits, I bought off of BRS and I have been using the same kit for both the DT and the QT, so I am inclined to believe that the results are accurate.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back