Now what is this ….

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all
So I was having issues with cyano for a while now and decided to take care of it with chemi clean. Now I’m cyano free but now I have this ! Any idea on what it is ?

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all
So I was having issues with cyano for a while now and decided to take care of it with chemi clean. Now I’m cyano free but now I have this ! Any idea on what it is ?

Attachments

• 9AB799E4-4F57-43D5-952C-45F6D621714B.jpeg
    9AB799E4-4F57-43D5-952C-45F6D621714B.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It blows away kinda easily

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 77

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for the new pics. My best guess is that you have a couple things going on. I think the brown stringy/goopy stuff looks like dinos. Although, I don't see any air bubbles trapped in the goop AND dinos are light hogs so they're usually found high up in the tank (unless you have pretty good PAR at your sand level). Those two caveats are preventing me from saying dinos for sure. The other thing going is that green/brown stuff on the sand. That kind of looks like diatoms, but it could be other things.
Can you let us know what your parameters are? Temp, salinity, pH, Alk, PO4, NO3, and (less important here) Ca and Mg? Also, what are you using for lights and what intensity/program are you running? Other tank details (size, major equipment, etc.) would also be helpful.

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for the new pics. My best guess is that you have a couple things going on. I think the brown stringy/goopy stuff looks like dinos. Although, I don't see any air bubbles trapped in the goop AND dinos are light hogs so they're usually found high up in the tank (unless you have pretty good PAR at your sand level). Those two caveats are preventing me from saying dinos for sure. The other thing going is that green/brown stuff on the sand. That kind of looks like diatoms, but it could be other things.
Can you let us know what your parameters are? Temp, salinity, pH, Alk, PO4, NO3, and (less important here) Ca and Mg? Also, what are you using for lights and what intensity/program are you running? Other tank details (size, major equipment, etc.) would also be helpful.
Np also
Salinity .026
Alk is 10 (reef crystal salt)
Ph is 7.8
Nitrates: undetected
Po3- .02
Calcium is 500+
I don’t have a text for magnesium
AI prime for my lights they are running the brs schedule for 120 par through out tank
Temp is about 77°
20 gallon AIO
Chemi pure blue and filter floss
No skimmer
Nero 3 wave maker
I just battled cyano with chemi clean

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its known as Lyngbya spp. which is a type of cyanobacteria. Even though it looks just like string algae, it is filamentous rather than slimy. It dislodges easily from the rock, has no discernible root or mat structure and grows fast. Lyngbya species seem to grow very faster in warmer tanks, and spread quickly once attached to a powerhead, suggesting they can replicate by fragmentation easily. Nevertheless manual removal over time can be effective using a turkey baster, and siphon and lowering white light intensity 5-10 days. If on the rocks, use a toothbrush and scrub off the rock and glass and capture floating mass in nets.
For the most part treat it as you would red slime algae which is also a type of cyano. Adding cleaners such as Nerite and astrea ssnails, Cerith snails, Chitons, and Carribean Blue leg hermits will eat some of it.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its known as Lyngbya spp. which is a type of cyanobacteria. Even though it looks just like string algae, it is filamentous rather than slimy. It dislodges easily from the rock, has no discernible root or mat structure and grows fast. Lyngbya species seem to grow very faster in warmer tanks, and spread quickly once attached to a powerhead, suggesting they can replicate by fragmentation easily. Nevertheless manual removal over time can be effective using a turkey baster, and siphon and lowering white light intensity 5-10 days. If on the rocks, use a toothbrush and scrub off the rock and glass and capture floating mass in nets.
For the most part treat it as you would red slime algae which is also a type of cyano. Adding cleaners such as Nerite and astrea ssnails, Cerith snails, Chitons, and Carribean Blue leg hermits will eat some of it.
Thanks vetteguy53801! I've never dealt with that type of cyano before so I was scratching my head at the OPs pictures. Is Lyngbya both the brown stringy stuff and the greenish fuzz stuff?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks vetteguy53801! I've never dealt with that type of cyano before so I was scratching my head at the OPs pictures. Is Lyngbya both the brown stringy stuff and the greenish fuzz stuff?
Yes. They both love light for growth hence the reduction of white light or light intensity

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They both love light for growth hence the reduction of white light or light intensity
Interesting thanks! Would you mind taking a look at this other thread?
The OP on that thread has a bunch of green fuzz on his sandbed. Is that Lyngbya too? Thanks!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know so much???

Your knowledge base is very impressive!!!

Now following you so that I may pickup some of that knowledge!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you know so much???

Your knowledge base is very impressive!!!

Now following you so that I may pickup some of that knowledge!
35 years in hobby and former full line pet store owner 12 years

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you ! O

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back