NP Reducing BioPellet Advice

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Im wanting to start using my biopellet reactor soon. My tank is only a couple of months old. Im experiencing the normal algae cycle at the moment. Its primarily green cyano. Also I have added a anthias as my first fish. Its a juvenile and im making sure to feed him multiple times a day which is producing extra nutrients. Even tho im doing weekly water changes. my nitrates are low but not as low as I want them for when I start adding sps. Im sure this is due to the tank being so young. I wanted to run this system skimmer-less just relying on cryptic sponge and squirts for most of the nutrient export. My seed cryptic sponge and squirts are small at the moment. Here is where I need advice. Upon my research I have noticed a skimmer is used to export excess bacteria and bacteria that have consumed nutrients. I planned on only using less than half of the recommend amount of pellets in the reactor. Also im aware that the sponge will feed off the bacteria that is produced. But is the skimmer absolutely necessary to keep the bacteria in check and balance the system. Dont get me wrong im not against using a skimmer. I just wanted to keep everything simple as possible and rely on as much natural filtration as possible for excess nutrient export. But im also aware that for me to have the end result im looking for being a low nutrient sps tank. I need these pellets or other types of carbon dosing to achieve this. So skimmer or is there away to move forward with my system as is?

Thanks,

James

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you out a bit here...

Just fyi an anthias might not have been the best "first fish" for you.

A protein skimmer removes many organic compounds but regarding bio-pellets, the skimmer removes bacterial biomass containing organics consumed by the bacteria as part of their life cycle and consumption of the bio-pellet. Without the skimmer there is no true "export". Export means removing something completely from the water stream. One way or another, something has to be removed from the water and that might be skimmer waste or macro algae, etc. PO4 and NO3 can sometimes be "stored" but that is usually a temporary situation.

"Bio-Pellets" can be the auto-pilot method of nutrient control but there certainly are other methods. Do your research and compare "bio-pellet" brands, they're NOT all the same.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can add that a protein skimmer is a very important component to running pellets. You need to have a good skimmer and you need to run it all the time.

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you out a bit here...

Just fyi an anthias might not have been the best "first fish" for you.

A protein skimmer removes many organic compounds but regarding bio-pellets, the skimmer removes bacterial biomass containing organics consumed by the bacteria as part of their life cycle and consumption of the bio-pellet. Without the skimmer there is no true "export". Export means removing something completely from the water stream. One way or another, something has to be removed from the water and that might be skimmer waste or macro algae, etc. PO4 and NO3 can sometimes be "stored" but that is usually a temporary situation.

"Bio-Pellets" can be the auto-pilot method of nutrient control but there certainly are other methods. Do your research and compare "bio-pellet" brands, they're
NOT all the same.

Thanks so much that's good info, I've also realized the skimming is used a lot for increased oxygen because the bacterial mass depletes oxygen quickly. I've kept anthias before in my previous tanks. Just curious why you feel this wasn't a good choice.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Jon said.....You need a skimmer for it to work....and I'll add that any carbon dosing method also requires a skimmer for it to all work.

And FYI Boxer, if you are not aware, Jon Warner is the grand pooba of Warner Marine....a leading researcher and supplier of biopellets (and other fish stuff as well.)

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Jon said.....You need a skimmer for it to work....and I'll add that any carbon dosing method also requires a skimmer for it to all work.

And FYI Boxer, if you are not aware, Jon Warner is the grand pooba of Warner Marine....a leading researcher and supplier of biopellets (and other fish stuff as well.)

Good Deal, thanks for the input

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back