NPS eye candy

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photos, but here are some black coral (Antipathes sp.) and spiral wire coral (Cirrhipathes spiralis) along with a few other NPS in one of the tanks at the PA I volunteer at:

48F88B7F-2243-40A0-892F-D45267AD30BC.jpeg
8C637FAE-2F8D-4DFF-9E7C-B367055071D9.jpeg

The same NPS tank also has a Sacura anthias which may be the only one in captivity in the world:

BD914D1D-0299-4FD2-96D1-90B9AFB041F6.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received reef roids and feed tank. Feeding response was effective, but not as immediate as with minced up fresh live mussels. Clams are ok, but oysters & mussels have more gut cavity, which is what I want for bacteria.

Two deep water gorgonions ions enjoying evening light in 75G 25 year old Jaubert Plenum.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry about poor pictures & duplicates.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my nps (in potato quality).

NPS stocking list:

Gorgs: menella (purple and gold), blueberry gorg (have had almost a year), leptogorgia, diodogorgia, Swiftia exserta

lps: various suns (true yellow, orange/pink, black), branching dendro, fathead dendro, balanophyllia

other: chili coral, various sponges

47zD3op.jpg

Nh6v60C.jpg

TpXqpwC.jpg

T1SjPVt.jpg

bo32K8f.jpg

ic4duST.jpg

jzNPnfG.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my nps (in potato quality).

NPS stocking list:

Gorgs: menella (purple and gold), blueberry gorg (have had almost a year), leptogorgia, diodogorgia, Swiftia exserta

lps: various suns (true yellow, orange/pink, black), branching dendro, fathead dendro, balanophyllia

other: chili coral, various sponges

47zD3op.jpg

Nh6v60C.jpg

TpXqpwC.jpg

T1SjPVt.jpg

bo32K8f.jpg

ic4duST.jpg

jzNPnfG.jpg

WOW, very cool.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a sad version of the gold. Is that strictly NPS?

It isn't in high light but it is the only one that ever has algae issues.

It closes completely at night.
It is happiest after feeding RodsReef. We don't feed anything smaller except occasional phyto.
0b22e52827ad3ca85bb903e38d6c4d44.jpg
61c08b4108840fd205aefaf61f244fd8.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is happiest after feeding RodsReef. We don't feed anything smaller except occasional phyto.
0b22e52827ad3ca85bb903e38d6c4d44.jpg
I love it. Man, I think very nice

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a menella, and yes, they are strictly nps.

Your's doesn't look too bad. I've found menella not to be too difficult, but if tissue recession does occur, keeping algae off can be a struggle (true of any gorg). I've cut the tips of branches off, or, in case of losing the algae battle, I'll completely cut branches off and remount. My small gold menella,in front of the blueberry gorg, was originally about the size of yours... I cut off the remaining healthy branches after battling algae on it for 1.5 years (I've had tissue recession when letting water parameters get off... high alk, phophate, and salinity have all been culprits). Once algae takes hold, it seems hard for them to regrow tissue, otherwise, I see healthy gorgs regrow tissue at rate of 1" in a week.

That's good sign it's open, although, a very healthy one will have "fuzzy" appearance. Any meaty food in the water column should entice it open... they don't open necessarily because it's dark. My large yellow menella stays open most of time, including the during day, while my large, purple one tends to be closed during the day and open with food in the evening (remaining open throughout night).

They eat zooplankton and not phyto-plankton... I recommend target feeding with reef roids and smaller micron size frozen food such as rotifers. Anecdotally, I've read people keeping with just reef roids (or similar). If it seems to be opening less-and-less, then it's not getting proper food and action should be taken... letting it stay closed makes it more and more difficult to get them to open.

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local lfs, I think was the very first one to order in these Spider Sponges from way back. Back then it was very affordable (pricewise) but now they cost at least over $100 bux and more depending on it's size. Used to own them but back then my system was a "temperamental" one. :D

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a menella, and yes, they are strictly nps.

Your's doesn't look too bad. I've found menella not to be too difficult, but if tissue recession does occur, keeping algae off can be a struggle (true of any gorg). I've cut the tips of branches off, or, in case of losing the algae battle, I'll completely cut branches off and remount. My small gold menella,in front of the blueberry gorg, was originally about the size of yours... I cut off the remaining healthy branches after battling algae on it for 1.5 years (I've had tissue recession when letting water parameters get off... high alk, phophate, and salinity have all been culprits). Once algae takes hold, it seems hard for them to regrow tissue, otherwise, I see healthy gorgs regrow tissue at rate of 1" in a week.

That's good sign it's open, although, a very healthy one will have "fuzzy" appearance. Any meaty food in the water column should entice it open... they don't open necessarily because it's dark. My large yellow menella stays open most of time, including the during day, while my large, purple one tends to be closed during the day and open with food in the evening (remaining open throughout night).

They eat zooplankton and not phyto-plankton... I recommend target feeding with reef roids and smaller micron size frozen food such as rotifers. Anecdotally, I've read people keeping with just reef roids (or similar). If it seems to be opening less-and-less, then it's not getting proper food and action should be taken... letting it stay closed makes it more and more difficult to get them to open.
Nice, Thank you!

I can tuck it in several darker places. That should help the algae problem.

Does it prefer crazy SPS flow or more like xenia flow.

Random flow or mostly lateral and crosswise?

Thanks again!

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult are NPS Gorgs? They're so beautiful and sometimes I see them priced quite affordably. I don't want to buy something I can't keep alive though

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back