NPS eye candy

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tubastraea from Ebay arrived last night. The polyps are just beginning to open with a bit of coaxing with some mysis and cyclops. Was sold as "20+ polyps". In reality, it has about 35 large polyps and about 40+ more tiny ones. Going to carefully frag it into a few pieces this weekend to spread it around on the rockscape of my NPS tank.

sunpolyp.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tubastraea from Ebay arrived last night. The polyps are just beginning to open with a bit of coaxing with some mysis and cyclops. Was sold as "20+ polyps". In reality, it has about 35 large polyps and about 40+ more tiny ones. Going to carefully frag it into a few pieces this weekend to spread it around on the rockscape of my NPS tank.

sunpolyp.jpg
WOW.

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photos, but here are some black coral (Antipathes sp.) and spiral wire coral (Cirrhipathes spiralis) along with a few other NPS in one of the tanks at the PA I volunteer at:

48F88B7F-2243-40A0-892F-D45267AD30BC.jpeg
8C637FAE-2F8D-4DFF-9E7C-B367055071D9.jpeg

The same NPS tank also has a Sacura anthias which may be the only one in captivity in the world:

BD914D1D-0299-4FD2-96D1-90B9AFB041F6.jpeg

Oh my. I’m so beyond jealous. Name a price

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Menella sp. is my absolute most favorite gorg and by far the hardiest in my tank. I’ve had my colony for 3 years and fragged it over 20 times for locals. I used to have a purple/violet polyp variant that I found on DD. Sadly it didn’t make it. I’d love to find one with purple flesh and yellow polyps though... in addition, I do concur. My menella responds to Reef Roids better than anything else.

We have a sad version of the gold. Is that strictly NPS?

It isn't in high light but it is the only one that ever has algae issues.

It closes completely at night.
It is happiest after feeding RodsReef. We don't feed anything smaller except occasional phyto.
0b22e52827ad3ca85bb903e38d6c4d44.jpg
61c08b4108840fd205aefaf61f244fd8.jpg

That's a menella, and yes, they are strictly nps.

Your's doesn't look too bad. I've found menella not to be too difficult, but if tissue recession does occur, keeping algae off can be a struggle (true of any gorg). I've cut the tips of branches off, or, in case of losing the algae battle, I'll completely cut branches off and remount. My small gold menella,in front of the blueberry gorg, was originally about the size of yours... I cut off the remaining healthy branches after battling algae on it for 1.5 years (I've had tissue recession when letting water parameters get off... high alk, phophate, and salinity have all been culprits). Once algae takes hold, it seems hard for them to regrow tissue, otherwise, I see healthy gorgs regrow tissue at rate of 1" in a week.

That's good sign it's open, although, a very healthy one will have "fuzzy" appearance. Any meaty food in the water column should entice it open... they don't open necessarily because it's dark. My large yellow menella stays open most of time, including the during day, while my large, purple one tends to be closed during the day and open with food in the evening (remaining open throughout night).

They eat zooplankton and not phyto-plankton... I recommend target feeding with reef roids and smaller micron size frozen food such as rotifers. Anecdotally, I've read people keeping with just reef roids (or similar). If it seems to be opening less-and-less, then it's not getting proper food and action should be taken... letting it stay closed makes it more and more difficult to get them to open.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
NPS offers some of the nicest colors. Gotta love colt coral

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody experience long term growth with the (impossible) Dendronephthya, Blueberry Gorgs, or other rarities? I’d even love to see some photosynthesic cousins to them such as rare Duncan’s or unique photosynthetic gorgs.

In addition do post photos and experiences you’ve had with the Red Tip Tree Coral,
(Stereonephthya sp.) they’re fascinating, I simply haven’t had any luck finding them

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unusual encounter...

***Don’t worry, this was temporary as my seahorse reside in a seperate display now***

It was quite interesting watching the two seahorse beat the Ribbon Eel to and ate the feeder guppies that were met for him. The eel never once showed any signs of agression towards the seahorse. He would even allow them to hitch onto it’s body.

As with this being an NPS thread, one of my
Truncatoflabellum veroni can be spotted in the bottom right corner

36DA9785-F3C9-418F-83CA-AADAAC296531.jpeg

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still searching for a Black Coral/Spiral Wire Hexacoral, anybody know see one available in the US?

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best photos, but here are some black coral (Antipathes sp.) and spiral wire coral (Cirrhipathes spiralis) along with a few other NPS in one of the tanks at the PA I volunteer at:

48F88B7F-2243-40A0-892F-D45267AD30BC.jpeg
8C637FAE-2F8D-4DFF-9E7C-B367055071D9.jpeg

The same NPS tank also has a Sacura anthias which may be the only one in captivity in the world:

BD914D1D-0299-4FD2-96D1-90B9AFB041F6.jpeg

Where were these acquired?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of NPS corals, I just have some suns at the moment, I would like more but I have no more space and also they are quite difficult to source in the UK.

Balanophyllia sp.

BalNPS.png

Tubastrea sp.

SunNPS.png

Dendrophyllia
sp.

DendrosNPS.png

T. micrantha

blackNPS.jpg

Regards

Lisa
A vendor has some Balanophyllia sp., their gorgeous. Thanks again, comrade

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back