NS siphon vs yellow tang

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught my yellow tang taking chunks off 2 nassarius snails siphons! 1. Do they grow back? 2. Are tangs normally doing this?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught my yellow tang taking chunks off 2 nassarius snails siphons! 1. Do they grow back? 2. Are tangs normally doing this?
1) theoretically, yes
2) no, that’s not normal. Do you feed your tang enough nori that it can graze throughout the day supplemented with a high variety of frozen or live meaty offerings each day?

If not and you’re a flake and pellet kind of guy, this can and does cause tangs to “act out” as you describe.

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) theoretically, yes
2) no, that’s not normal. Do you feed your tang enough nori that it can graze throughout the day supplemented with a high variety of frozen or live meaty offerings each day?

If not and you’re a flake and pellet kind of guy, this can and does cause tangs to “act out” as you describe.

I feed nori once a day. Not feeding live/frozen but a wide variety of pellets. Didn’t kno not feeding actual meat to tangs made them go crazy

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori once a day. Not feeding live/frozen but a wide variety of pellets. Didn’t kno not feeding actual meat to tangs made them go crazy
It can, they need meaty offerings high in nutrition and in their absence they’ll seek to supplement this. A healthy tang is a very fat tang that’s able to graze for 2/3 the day or more in captivity. Ensure enough nori such that this is possible and it may well help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. How can I keep nori offered so it doesn’t blow all over the tank? Using the clip, once the nori gets wet it goes everywhere.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. How can I keep nori offered so it doesn’t blow all over the tank? Using the clip, once the nori gets wet it goes everywhere.
What kind of nori are you using?

I fold mine several times in to a tighter sheet and clip it. I use the ocean nutrition red and green.

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nori are you using?

I fold mine several times in to a tighter sheet and clip it. I use the ocean nutrition red and green.
TLF green, purple, and red. Pellets: hikari, PE, spectrum algae and reg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLF green, purple, and red. Pellets: hikari, PE, spectrum algae and reg
I’d try folding your nori many ways and clipping it well. See if that helps. If it blows all over and makes a mess, that means you’ve added too much to the tank. By about 1/2 to 2/3 the day it starts falling apart and fouling the water.

Also be sure your powerheads don’t blow at it or that it’s in a low flow area, this will help as well.

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try folding your nori many ways and clipping it well. See if that helps. If it blows all over and makes a mess, that means you’ve added too much to the tank. By about 1/2 to 2/3 the day it starts falling apart and fouling the water.

Also be sure your powerheads don’t blow at it or that it’s in a low flow area, this will help as well.
Cool thanks alot

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I had my Yellow Tang, on the first day it was in the tank it found most of the remains of a Turbo snail that my Melanurus Wrasse had recently shredded and promptly gobbled them up. I don't believe in the concept of a true herbivore for fish in the marine hobby. I agree that there are fish that prefer more green than meat, but all "herbivores" need the amino acids from some form of meat in their diet. My Yellow Tang definitely ate meat and my Foxface (another Yellow Herbivore) definitely gobbles down frozen reef frenzy (which is mostly meaty food).

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my Yellow Tang, on the first day it was in the tank it found most of the remains of a Turbo snail that my Melanurus Wrasse had recently shredded and promptly gobbled them up. I don't believe in the concept of a true herbivore for fish in the marine hobby. I agree that there are fish that prefer more green than meat, but all "herbivores" need the amino acids from some form of meat in their diet. My Yellow Tang definitely ate meat and my Foxface (another Yellow Herbivore) definitely gobbles down frozen reef frenzy (which is mostly meaty food).
I have a blue hippo in my fowlr along with a clown trigger and a niger trigger that puts them to shame when I drop clams and such in there. So I suppose tangs should be more omnivorous than herbivorous

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo in my fowlr along with a clown trigger and a niger trigger that puts them to shame when I drop clams and such in there. So I suppose tangs should be more omnivorous than herbivorous
They’re opportunists, I would say. They’ll eat anything available! Ha

Back