NSW precipitation in brute reservoir? (Reef Crystals)

U

User1

View Badges
Air Frames are starting to blur and merge across services due to budgets. Probably isn't a bad thing and this was something Rumsfield tried to do years ago.

Having said that there is really only 1 platform known to the public that can deliver packages to high interest targets on short notice. And that is an asset owned by the Air Force which is the B1. Totally off topic though...

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might this have something to do with the container? When I was in the hobby in the late 90’s through mid 2000’s, I used a Rubbermaid garbage can for mixing/storing saltwater and had the same thing using IO/RC. I now use a 40 gal translucent vertical tank that is FDA and ANSI/NSF 61 approved, and though I’ve been running IO for over 2 years and have never cleaned the container, I have no residue. The only other thing I do different is that I always let the salt mix for 2-3 days before using. In the past, I would often use after mixing for only a couple of hours, probably even sooner on some occasions. I’ve always had several gallons left sitting in the container both now and then, though in the past, I would empty and rinse out my Rubbermaid container every several months. Like I said, with my current container, I’ve never emptied/rinsed.
I tend to agree, I used a large trash can as well and saw the issue, now use a glass aquarium for mixing and don't see it using the same salt.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air Frames are starting to blur and merge across services due to budgets. Probably isn't a bad thing and this was something Rumsfield tried to do years ago.

Having said that there is really only 1 platform known to the public that can deliver packages to high interest targets on short notice. And that is an asset owned by the Air Force which is the B1. Totally off topic though...

Agree. I don't want to further derail this thread. Love the B1. I was a pilot in the Air Force for 14 years, loved flying in formation with the B1, when we could.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might this have something to do with the container? When I was in the hobby in the late 90’s through mid 2000’s, I used a Rubbermaid garbage can for mixing/storing saltwater and had the same thing using IO/RC. I now use a 40 gal translucent vertical tank that is FDA and ANSI/NSF 61 approved, and though I’ve been running IO for over 2 years and have never cleaned the container, I have no residue. The only other thing I do different is that I always let the salt mix for 2-3 days before using. In the past, I would often use after mixing for only a couple of hours, probably even sooner on some occasions. I’ve always had several gallons left sitting in the container both now and then, though in the past, I would empty and rinse out my Rubbermaid container every several months. Like I said, with my current container, I’ve never emptied/rinsed.

Pic?!?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used regular IO but RC has always been bad. I now use Red Sea Blue which also leaves that brown gunk but not nearly as bad. I think I actually saw a picture you posted in Reefkeeping magazine of your Brute with the calcium carbonate caked on the bottom. It is that same brown color so maybe that is what it is in my case. It ends up coating the pumps, heater, and everything though.

Regular IO is a lot less for me. Maybe it’s the higher ALK, CAL, and Mag in Reef Crystals?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think it might have something to do with the Mag 5 pump I leave running in the reservoir. The heat of the pump gets up to 82 degrees with the lid on. The higher Alk level with that heat may precipitate. I should probably turn the pump off after I mix the salt and see if that makes a difference.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back