Nuclear waste concerns in the Pacific?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reeflogic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
885
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely believe anything I read on FB, but do we have any experts on R2R that can confirm / disprove this? In case folks do not want to click the link, it basically states that the nuclear waste that is being dumped into the ocean in Japan (from the tsunami) has crossed the Pacific and is affecting fish along the US west coast. It really only touches on the fishing industry, but it makes me wonder about reefs, etc.

http://altereddimensions.net/2015/p...-contamination-united-states-fish-radioactive
 
I didn't click it but if debris have made it from the tsunami (it has) to the West coast, then the radiated water also has.
 
Pretty scary stuff!! I wonder what effect this is having on reefs, whales, sharks, top of the food chain down....
 
It is pretty scary and I understand the need for power. When are we going to put our foot down and say enough is enough?
 
I wouldnt worry too much. We bombed the heck out of atolls in the south pacific for years and a couple big ones in Japan. Then set off a few here in the states that blew all over ourselves and the globe. The San Onofre plant in OC Ca sprung some leaks very recently and was shut down and the beaches are shut down in TJ from toxic runoff constantly. China. nuff said right? And we added lead to gasoline for 80+ years even though we new it was toxic for the last 2000 years.
So really. Its a drop in the bucket.
 
Yeah, you're probably right, it's a drop in the bucket, but thousands of gallons of radioactive waste pouring from the reactor directly into the ocean for the last 5 years seems pretty significant. I think the A-bombs deployed on land have a different effect on the environment, but who knows. I'm sure it has to be worse than the oil spills we always seem to witness, but I guess only time will tell! Hopefully, we can get some folks that have been directly impacted by this, to chime in, thanks for the feedback guys!
 
Yea. its really tough. weve all been affected more than we know.
I live 60 min south of the san onofre reactor an 10 north of TJ.
 
Went to a dive club meet last week the speaker was a professor from Long Beach State,he has some research going on, where they have found traces of isotopes that came from Japan in kelp along the west coast of the US.Some of the isotopes have a 30 year half life. You can check it out on a site called Kelp watch.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new