Number of Saltwater vs Freshwater LFS's

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I heard a stat recently but I don't remember where it was. I believe it may have been a Tidal Gardens Livestream (Always a good time) but I can't find it now so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I believe the stat was saltwater specific fish stores out number freshwater specific fish stores 2 to 1 in the U.S. I don't remember if that's the exact stat and I'm having a hard time finding any information like this online. It's crazy to think about considering how much more widespread freshwater fish keeping is which is why I want to read more into this. If anyone has any information that they can share/link on this or remembers hearing this stat as well and can correct me that would be very helpful.

Also if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be the case (provided the stat is accurate) I'd love to know why.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its more a case of reef stores are saltwater only or salt and fresh while freshwater only stores no longer seem to exist and instead are part of big pet chain stores and therefore wouldn't be counted

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its more a case of reef stores are saltwater only or salt and fresh while freshwater only stores no longer seem to exist and instead are part of big pet chain stores and therefore wouldn't be counted
Most of my fresh stores around here, also do salt. Places like PetSmart that only do freshwater also do other pets. I think the only exclusive freshwater store I've been to that still exists is south of Boston.

OP
OP
W

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, although Petco's seem to be about 50/50, at least by me.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think depends on where you live

In LA, there is way more only freshwater stores than only saltwater stores. Lots of the reptile stores are also freshwater stores.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much so depends on where you live. Here we have 0 saltwater only stores and all but maybe like 2 or 3 stores apart from the Petco chain stores do freshwater only.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the stat, but it’s all freshwater in my county. Most of the successful saltwater shops I have seen also have freshwater and reptiles. I think the reason is that the saltwater aquarium hobby is a very small sliver of the pet industry.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to exclude chain stores like Petco and Petsmart, then Saltwater stores win out here locally. I can think of 4 locations with just saltwater fish. Freshwater I can only think of one. I am aware of three shops that are a mix.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back