Nurturing the next coral generation: Do you have a separate frag tank?

Do you have a separate frag tank?

• I currently have a separate frag tank.

Votes: 51 23.1%
  • I have had a separate frag tank in the past.

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • I have not had a separate frag tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • I have no plans to add a separate frag tank.

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nurturing the next coral generation: Do you have a separate frag tank?

After establishing a nice display tank, a reef keepers mind often wanders to thoughts of adding another tank. One of the options to consider is adding a frag tank. Whether you are wanting to set up a small side hustle, need somewhere to grow out new corals, or just need somewhere to put frags when you trim, a frag tank is a great option. A 100g lowboy frag tank used to be one of the main go-to option, but now there are many tanks to choose from and many light choices to provide optimal lighting. Maybe you have already gone through this process and have added more than one tank. Please let us know if you have a separate frag tank. If so, feel free to share pictures, tips, and recommendations for the R2R community!

X37BReefer_FragTank.jpeg

Photo by @X-37B Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

"Offering one of the largest selections of coral and dry goods online. Top Shelf Aquatics is your one stop shop for all of your aquarium needs. We have made our name by not only providing the healthiest and most vibrant frags shipped straight to your door, but we pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service. Whether you are looking for that one of a kind piece or for the perfect beginner coral to start your reef, our dedicated staff is always eager to help!"

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 60g "other acro" tank which serves as a frag tank for me. The 100g DT has several Acropora which need to be trimmed and I have nowhere else to put the frags, so the "other" tank to the rescue!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
currently looking to consolidate space in my apartment by going from a 40B, to a 60G cube. i don't really have plans on keeping multiple tanks for sake of having less things to maintenance or keep up with, but am certainly fine with upgrading size as time, space, and money allow.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans of a basement sump then a frag tank incorporated in it or next to it

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to convince the misses to use a section of the basement as my sump/fishroom. It's about 10'x15' section that has a separate entry.
Currently, my sump is in the basement under the stairs and have a very small frag rack in the Rubbermaid tub. It's tight.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, but I would really need one, given how my mantis sandbed is covered in red monti cap frags!!!

Although they do seem to provide him with a bit enrichment, as I see him scooting accross the sand bed, lifting them while looking for something to eat! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare 90 gallon reef tank I plan on adding to my system. I will have a bigger frag tank then my display. I just don't want to disturb my reef tank by putting it into the 90 gallon

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up aquaculturing coral and starting a business.

For most hobbyists however, at least having a tank where you can put the extra coral from fragging, or accidentally breaking coral. It just helps keep the frag racks out of the display and keeps things nice and clean! :)

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m rehoming a crazy amount zoa frags from my tank, mostly to new hobbyists. I literally made 400 frags in the last six months, have about 120 left and I can’t get rid of them fast enough.

This is actually growing into a garage operation now.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a "frag tank" with a simple 10g and a cheap led. Then a 20 long, then a 33 long. Now I have two low boy frag tanks plumbed to one sump, and about 500 frags at any given time. I've invested in some "show tanks" and have done some smaller regional frag swaps.

I've added some heat to our basement with hopes of relocating all the frag stuff and the sump for the display to the basement. Hopefully I can get it all into one system and only have to maintain one set of parameters. Right now the frag system is on the 2nd floor, and lugging 5g buckets from the basement to the 2nd floor for water changes is getting old.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the patience to deal with coral frags, (which I do not), I would add frag racks in my 30 gallon basement sump tank. Even with the macroalgae and rock there is plenty of room for frag racks. Then I would give away the frag coral to new hobbyist in my area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back