Nutri seawater

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity in my 15 gallon water box tank is 1.017 trying to raise it up and I use nutri-sea water and even that test 1017. I checked it against distilled water and that came back 1.000 so the calibration is right am I missing something?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know the answer but i do know randy holmes farley has no love for that stuff at all

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some old posts of mine:

I just looked up an old post of mine (2010) on this product, and it reminded me how bad it really is:

It has a stunningly stupid web site that gives a product chemical analysis which, if you believed it, would be an utter disaster:

http://www.nutriseawater.com/

It shows it has a salinity about 50% higher than seawater (from sodium and chloride alone), then they incorrectly claim the specific gravity is 1.027. If you beleive their analysis, it must be more like sg = 1.040.

Then it says:

"The salinity level of this product is natural (untouched) from the ocean. If you desire a lower salinity level add Reverse Osmosis water." lol

Just look at these incredible claims:

Magnesium 2,085,000 ug/l ---> 2,000 ppm Uh, not good

They used to claim calcium was 0.007 ppm:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071219232654/http://www.nutriseawater.com they have "fixed" that issue

Then they have the audacity to claim:

"*This product is in it's natural state we did not alter it, levels may vary." SO what does adding the special QX-23 do if not alter levels?

Really, this has to be among the worst ever product claims. To support them by its use is to support stupidity. :(

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another golden oldie:

The Nutri Seawater has the secret to all good reef tanks:

http://www.nutriseawater.com/

"Fortified with QX-23® Enriched"

lol

Come on, that is so condescending that I would never use that product, even if I saw evidence it worked better. :(

Seriously, what is QX-23?

Unbelievably, 8 of the ingredients have no known biological role, unless they get too high, at which point they become toxic:

Calcium, Iodine, Molybdenum, Strontium, Magnesium, Cobalt Potassium, Lithium, Aluminum, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, Nickel, Selenium, Silver, Cadmium, Zinc, Thallium, Stannus, Antimony.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not gonna lie… I did at one point use this product when I first started out in the hobby. But the cost alone vs making your own just wasn’t feasible. I’m no Chemist by any mean but the numbers they do show in there site seemed to be a little over exaggerated in my opinion. I didn’t have anything bad happen while I used it. Other than I did see some coralline algae start to die off at the end. If I have to be completely honest with myself though the salt creep just wasn’t preset when I used it compared to the salt creep I’m currently getting from my salt mix. I also never had to dose anything to the tank it was in for 1 1/2 years of coral growth with bta that split twice and tons of coralline algae. Alk, mag, and ca all stayed with in range with out much fluctuation. Although I did try To google Qx-23 I found nothing but information on x-23 a comic character Haha. Gotta say I’d love to see ppl do more research on it out side of the manufacturer’s hands. Again I’m not a fan or a supporter of the product just would like to see more helpful information for people to be able to make the best choice for there systems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn’t have anything bad happen while I used it.

Very likely its because it doesn't actually contain what they say, but is closer to all other commercial seawater mixes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back