Nutrient/alk snapshots from the main at Battlecorals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As of yesterday 7-13-23. Seems like I get asked about these two pretty often. Nitrate and Phos that is. So, here's a quick snapshot of my main system. Phos is definitely higher than I tend to go. Or at least higher than the last time I used these. But overall acceptable to me. lol

I don't pull them out nearly as often as I probably should, but I like these checker things. What do you say?

IMG_7923.jpeg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you keep your p04 up boss?
Well, I’m not entirely sure, but my best guess is I’ve been feeding with pretty heavy with frozen food, un dunces. the LRS herbivore frenzy with a mix of mysis shrimp, and I have noticed the jump up I think was a direct result of that.

And/or switching back to the large sized reborn now that I think of it. That may be part of it as well.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, I’m not entirely sure, but my best guess is I’ve been feeding with pretty heavy with frozen food, un dunces. the LRS herbivore frenzy with a mix of mysis shrimp, and I have noticed the jump up I think was a direct result of that.

And/or switching back to the large sized reborn now that I think of it. That may be part of it as well.

image.jpg
For 7 years I've never seen my phosphate above .1
I had finally just swapped out half my reactor for the new reborn, and p04 hovers a little over .1 now which is pretty nice. Definitely one of the reasons for sure.
20230701_190407.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For 7 years I've never seen my phosphate above .1
I had finally just swapped out half my reactor for the new reborn, and p04 hovers a little over .1 now which is pretty nice. Definitely one of the reasons for sure.
20230701_190407.jpg
Makes sense to me. Nice looking tank! Clearly .1 is working! thanks for the post.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By comparison, here is my back up. as of today 7-14-23 lol I'll posit that the probable reason for the massive difference is the algae scrubber I installed a couple months ago now on the back up system, coupled with a pretty low fish load. seems too be working quite well in fact. Maybe a little too well.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 4.41.44 PM.png

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is your backup system just as capable of growing your corals?
Oddly enough the back up is like my neglected magic. It just humms along. Never really causing me much stress. And the coral in there has always looked good.

Growth between the two systems is comparable I’d say but the backup requires far less intervention or general maintenance. And causes me considerably less heartache.

Suppose that’s the nature of the beast. Lol

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you expand on that? Less intervention/general maintenance in what way? Algae growth?
Well mostly just amounts to laziness on my part or a willingness to let things work their way out on their own lol. Not really a good methodology. Ultimately but my back up has always been me “ let’s see what happens” system lol

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mostly just amounts to laziness on my part or a willingness to let things work their way out on their own lol. Not really a good methodology. Ultimately but my back up has always been me “ let’s see what happens” system lol
Thanks, Adam. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks, Adam. :)
Anytime! Im reminiscing here. Seeing your avatar reminds me of years ago. I bought a juvenile orange shoulder. Totally yellow. Loved it.

Went in an old 300 I had set up, and one day he just disappeared. For a couple years. I just assumed he was gone until one other day I decided to clean the overflows, (long over due I know) and sure enough he was in there. To my surprise! Fully grown, completely perfect orange shoulder coloration I was jubilant!

Everything looked great, I netted him out of there, put them back in the main. All was well with the world.

The next day. The darn thing jumped out. I wrote a story about it. on RC. with pics even I think. I'm sure if I dig deep enough it can be found lol. username: rtbm

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! Im reminiscing here. Seeing your avatar reminds me of years ago. I bought a juvenile orange shoulder. Totally yellow. Loved it.

Went in an old 300 I had set up, and one day he just disappeared. For a couple years. I just assumed he was gone until one other day I decided to clean the overflows, (long over due I know) and sure enough he was in there. To my surprise! Fully grown, completely perfect orange shoulder coloration I was jubilant!

Everything looked great, I netted him out of there, put them back in the main. All was well with the world.

The next day. The darn thing jumped out. I wrote a story about it. on RC. with pics even I think. I'm sure if I dig deep enough it can be found lol. username: rtbm
I wish my orange shoulder tang can change to the adult colors. My avatar is a photo from google.

This is mine:

IMG_2206.jpeg

Maybe I should put him in the overflow haha. Kidding.

Random question, do you hav experience with elevated alkalinity and acropora? Since you have an aquaculture business, wouldn’t it make sense to ride in the express lane? :)

All this grow out talk got me thinking of ways we can increase coral growth. Someone said low alk is a waste of electricity haha. They kept their alk at like 13dKH.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish my orange shoulder tang can change to the adult colors. My avatar is a photo from google.

This is mine:

IMG_2206.jpeg

Maybe I should put him in the overflow haha. Kidding.

Random question, do you hav experience with elevated alkalinity and acropora? Since you have an aquaculture business, wouldn’t it make sense to ride in the express lane? :)

All this grow out talk got me thinking of ways we can increase coral growth. Someone said low alk is a waste of electricity haha. They kept their alk at like 13dKH.
LOl. yeah mine was safe in there. That's fore sure. He definitely ate well. I never saw that in-between phase yours is in now. It all happened in the overflow!

Keep us posted on that guy I forgot how much I like those things. that's a beauty there!

Here is the RC post! I guess it was more like 6-7 months. lol

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 8.26.31 PM.png

and the aftermath

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 8.27.51 PM.png

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you keep your p04 up boss?
Honestly I have no idea really. I do feed probably too much and I have been in the habit of overturning rocks with algae on them. Guess the steady die off is probably part of it too

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Battlecorals Did you see this question I made in this thread?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back