Nutrient deprived corals

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
In my Fluval Evo 13.5, I’ve been noticing some nutrient issues with some corals. The corals most worth noting are my mushroom corals, which seem to be on their death bed.
4632E415-851E-4D62-8957-D86B4B29A029.jpeg
F02B33DB-F63E-4A47-941E-CEAFFFCD0EB6.jpeg
17D88D5C-08B9-4FDA-AA06-72A86B3D1460.jpeg

I think with a little attention and care, their state can be turned around. I’ve come up with a few solutions, and just need a little feedback. Thanks.

1. I think that these corals are in dire need of some phytoplankton, or something of the sorts— I have many different types of microorganisms in my tank, but I don’t know if there’s any plankton in there. I will have to go to the LFS and buy a bag of phytoplankton to seed my aquarium with.

2. Reduce amount of water I’m changing— It made sense to do 30% a week when kickstarting my tank, but now, I think I’m doing more harm than good with that amount of water changes. I think my tank is a little too “clean”. Perhaps I should consider reducing the amount of water—and nutrients—that I am replacing every week. Maybe the corals will benefit from some dirtiness.

3. Add fish—it’s been almost 90 days since I’ve had any fish in the tank to make a mess, eat food, poop, and keep the cycle going. The fallow period in my tank is going to be done this week. I truly think that the addition and feeding of fish will benefit the corals as well.

These are my possible solutions. I’d love feedback on these ideas, and any information of what else I could do. Thank you, everyone!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your no3, po4, etc... levels? You kind of need to know these, along with all the other parameters, to see if it is a nutrient issue.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are low (~0-5 ppm) but phosphates are reading around 2 ppm
Sorry is this a typo? 2ppm phosphates is extremely high. Are you 100% sure?

0-5 nitrates is low, especially for soft corals, you'll want to increase this.

Too much light can also lead to bleaching.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aim for some common values with your test numbers. Say 5-10 on nitrates, .05 to .08 on phosphates, 450 calcium, 7 to 9 on alk, mag around 1350-1400, salinity around 35ppm(1.026). They all look bleached out and starved. You can direct feed the mushrooms and other lps corals also.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have balancing issues.

Please post ALL of your parameters so we can clearly see what's going on. Without this, it's a failed point.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very surprised and confused when I read 2 ppm as well. I think it was a misread on the API test kit or I tested wrong. I can try again. I might bring water in to the LFS in my next visit, for hopefully an accurate reading and some advice.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very surprised and confused when I read 2 ppm as well. I think it was a misread on the API test kit or I tested wrong. I can try again. I might bring water in to the LFS in my next visit, for hopefully an accurate reading and some advice.

Api isn't very good for alot of tests..

I only use api for two things. High range ph and ammonia. Heres a list in my opinion what is good to use..

Nitrates - salifert (best), red sea
Phos - salifert (ehh), red sea, Hanna checker (best)

Calcium - salifert (best), red sea, Hanna checker (maybe)

Alk - hanna (best) , salifert, red sea

Mag - salifert

Ph - api, hanna

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? How high are they mounted? How many hours a day a full intensity? Lots of questions here. I would suggest finding a more experienced reefer with the same lights, a successful one, and copy their lighting spectrum and schedule. Led's (?) can be really tricky for newer users. There are proven schedules for Radions, AI's, Noopsyche's, etc. even chinese black boxes. Find one and copy it until you have sustained success then you can alter it to your own taste. Get a test at your LFS for the 5 main parameters and get those in line. Good luck.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important spectrum is blue/uv. That's how the zoo eats...i feel like I mentioned this months ago.
This is the first I’ve heard this. I leave blue on often, but some of my corals hate the blue lighting. Only the mushrooms like the blue lighting more, at least from what I can tell.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? How high are they mounted? How many hours a day a full intensity? Lots of questions here. I would suggest finding a more experienced reefer with the same lights, a successful one, and copy their lighting spectrum and schedule. Led's (?) can be really tricky for newer users. There are proven schedules for Radions, AI's, Noopsyche's, etc. even chinese black boxes. Find one and copy it until you have sustained success then you can alter it to your own taste. Get a test at your LFS for the 5 main parameters and get those in line. Good luck.
It’s stock fluval evo lighting, so nothing special.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval lighting is not enough for corals despite what they say. I've tried it, just not strong enough for most anything beyond some softies. Get a better light, maybe you can hit up the for sale section for something affordable and upgrade later.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the fish is going to be the biggest favor that you can do yourself. Those mushrooms don't look to good, but they should return to normal as the fish begin to poop. Whenever you go fallow, remember to take the place of the fishes' poop and ammonia from their gills with high quality foods. While nitrate and phosphate can be used by corals, they much prefer ammonia/waste/direct food. There needs to be something to provide those same substances in place of fish. Also they could be bleaching from too much light so maybe lower them in your tank into a rock overhang/shadowey area. It could also depend on how old your tank is, if it is around three months or younger, the corals definitely have a harder time surviving. Adding phytoplankton won't help as much IMO, as mushrooms prefer slightly meatier foods, it might also cause a cyano bloom. I would target feed reef roids or something similar to the mushrooms, and then as soon as the fallow period is up, add the fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back