Nutrient export.

gms1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Want at looking for nutrient export ideas.
I have a waterbox 7225 with a reef mat in the refugium section of the sump and the filter sock holder removed (reef mat didn't fit nicely in this section). Would it be worth loading up this section with some bioballs as it's low flow. - there is a grate between refugium and filter sock section, no direct current flowing over it unless emergency has water going down it.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Want at looking for nutrient export ideas.
I have a waterbox 7225 with a reef mat in the refugium section of the sump and the filter sock holder removed (reef mat didn't fit nicely in this section). Would it be worth loading up this section with some bioballs as it's low flow. - there is a grate between refugium and filter sock section, no direct current flowing over it unless emergency has water going down it.
Waterbox makes a slick aquarium. Very nice acquisition! Do you have the standard or peninsula style?
We generally don't use bio balls or other filter media in reef systems as you don't want to promote to quick of denitrification as it can lead to higher levels of nitrates and other things. What type of system are you planning? Fish only, Fo with Live rock, Mixed reef, ect? How much live rock do you have? Sand? Algae/lighting in the refugium? Other forms of filtration?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that it’s not recommended to use ceramic filter media for bio filtration. I have a mesh bag filled with ceramic bio rings. My tank is almost 3 months old what would be the impact of removing them at this point?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that it’s not recommended to use ceramic filter media for bio filtration. I have a mesh bag filled with ceramic bio rings. My tank is almost 3 months old what would be the impact of removing them at this point?
I use them in my sump ceramic rings I mean

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What nutrients are you trying to export? It matters.

Reducing feeding is usually a bad idea since you can limit available forms of nutrients to your coral, if you have any. Stepping up export is a better idea.

Bioballs do not export anything. They just convert the first stages of the nitrogen cycle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back