Nutrients and Cloudy water in SPS tank

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Let me first give you some background on myself and my tank.
I am not an expert in reefing but I am not new to it either. I have grown several successful reefs and farms.

But like all of us I have forgotten and become impatient about some of the new tank uglies.

My tank is a 62g tideline lagoon. And it’s about 3 months old, now I know what you’re thinking, you are crazy that tank is way too new to keep sps. However, I can assure you I know what I’m doing and my sps are thriving and happy. Coralline is coming in and my tank parameters are stable.
My question is, I have had trouble keeping No3 and Po4 so I started dosing them via Sodium Nitrate and NeoPhos. I keep them stable at 10ppm nitrate and .04-.06 phosphate, but I have noticed cloudy hazy water clarity. And I am sure it’s a bacterial bloom but is this new tank uglies? Is it because of my dosing? I’d like to clear up the water using carbon but don’t want to strip my tank of the nutrients sps need.
Any tips or comments are accepted!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water is common in a new tank. Do you have a skimmer; it will help remove the extra bacteria. The bloom will go away with time.

Good job with having the nutrients dosed.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water is common in a new tank. Do you have a skimmer; it will help remove the extra bacteria. The bloom will go away with time.

Good job with having the nutrients dosed.

Maybe a small UV will help. There are AIO models like the green killing machine
Thanks! I have the tideline 62g so it’s an AIO, luckily I also have the aquamaxx Ws-1 which does fit in the back, although it’s kind of an eyesore because it has to sit outside the tank so far. I had it on for a bit but took it off after not being able to get a good skimmate. Maybe if things get worse I will put it back temporarily.

I did get a coralife turbo twist UV sterilizer and it’s been running for about 4 days and I did a water change today and while my water isn’t as cloudy as it was, it still has a noticeable yellowish tint to it.

I know how to achieve clear water, but am wondering how people do it with sps and knowing you can’t strip the column too much. I’m running pretty stable nutrients now but in the past have let them get low and see negative affects in sps. I have no scientific proof that it was low nutrients that caused this. Just an assumption.

I think I am just being impatient, with no reason to be complaining honestly, my tank is only a few months old and coralline is growing everywhere and my sticks seem to be happy, although color and growth is not optimum. And working from home I constantly look in my tank and am tired of seeing it appear thick and dirty, if you’re a reefer I’m sure you know what I mean by that lol. I’m ready for it to be thin and polished looking! :)

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering how people do it with sps and knowing you can’t strip the column too much
I have 65gal total and use activate carbon (40-50 ml total in a bag passive) change every 4-6 weeks, Fauna Marin Bacto reef balls (just 2) and replace every 2 weeks (this grow bacteria so hopefully corals consume them and helps with water clarity) and I dose 0.4ml of Tropic Marin NP Bacto Ballance (food for bacteria) and it has its own supply of N and P. The first two do help with clarity the last helps with coral food.
None of it is used for nutrition control so I am 1/2 or less of the minimum suggested dose.
That is what I use and what I found to be least impactful on P.
But as the reef changes and I change the scape etc... I do end up adding N and P, so things are fluid.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 65gal total and use activate carbon (40-50 ml total in a bag passive) change every 4-6 weeks, Fauna Marin Bacto reef balls (just 2) and replace every 2 weeks (this grow bacteria so hopefully corals consume them and helps with water clarity) and I dose 0.4ml of Tropic Marin NP Bacto Ballance (food for bacteria) and it has its own supply of N and P. The first two do help with clarity the last helps with coral food.
None of it is used for nutrition control so I am 1/2 or less of the minimum suggested dose.
That is what I use and what I found to be least impactful on P.
But as the reef changes and I change the scape etc... I do end up adding N and P, so things are fluid.
Awesome info! Thanks! I am going to look into this!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back