Nutrients bottomed out.. Maybe? LFS says no.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was ready to add coral to the tank this week, went ahead and tested with 2 different Red Sea Algae Control kits. Nitrate and Phos both showed undetectable, twice, on both test kits. Some Dino's started showing up this week, so I went to my LFS and had them test it, they got 0 nitrate on API and a Salifert kit. They did Phosphate on a Hanna Master Marine tester, and it came back .10.

I went ahead and bought a Hanna LR checker today, and three times it came back 0.

I have NeoPhos and NeoNitro coming today so I can dose, but I'm a bit nervous of starting to dose because of their PO4 reading.

Not totally sure what to start doing. I'm fairly confident in my testing, and now that some Dino's have started to show up I think nutrients are definitely bottomed out. Just go with my plan of dosing? or?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Something detectable on both asap.

You got to remember that the margin of error exists on all of these test kits. I think Hannah low range has a margin of three... As ridiculous as that is

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was ready to add coral to the tank this week, went ahead and tested with 2 different Red Sea Algae Control kits. Nitrate and Phos both showed undetectable, twice, on both test kits. Some Dino's started showing up this week, so I went to my LFS and had them test it, they got 0 nitrate on API and a Salifert kit. They did Phosphate on a Hanna Master Marine tester, and it came back .10.

I went ahead and bought a Hanna LR checker today, and three times it came back 0.

I have NeoPhos and NeoNitro coming today so I can dose, but I'm a bit nervous of starting to dose because of their PO4 reading.

Not totally sure what to start doing. I'm fairly confident in my testing, and now that some Dino's have started to show up I think nutrients are definitely bottomed out. Just go with my plan of dosing? or?
You need Hanna ulr phophate not sure if it is same as your stated LR phophates tester.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be waiting personally. . Two days ago, I fed a whole cube of mysis to a 30g frag tank with one fish in it after getting a second confirming 0 on phos. Tested an hour later and .016.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, feed more now.

In the future, food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate may be much cheaper and have a purity guarantee that Brightwell doesn't provide.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, feed more now.

In the future, food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate may be much cheaper and have a purity guarantee that Brightwell doesn't provide.
Hey Randy,

Where would you suggest getting these from? I'm in a small town in Alaska, I doubt we have this stuff available anywhere locally. Are there products on the shelf in a grocery store that I can use?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy,

Where would you suggest getting these from? I'm in a small town in Alaska, I doubt we have this stuff available anywhere locally. Are there products on the shelf in a grocery store that I can use?
I just purchased sodium nitrate via Amazon.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely what I'll end up doing as well.
I found a really helpful calculator online for making the solution. Had to use potassium nitrate in the calculator and I believe the factor vs sodium nitrate was 0.83 but please confirm that.

I knew I wanted to add 5ppm No3 to my given volume in 10 ml doses. Was able to work back and upon confirmation testing, landed at +4.8 / 10ml.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a really helpful calculator online for making the solution. Had to use potassium nitrate in the calculator and I believe the factor vs sodium nitrate was 0.83 but please confirm that.

I knew I wanted to add 5ppm No3 to my given volume in 10 ml doses. Was able to work back and upon confirmation testing, landed at +4.8 / 10ml.
BRS? Or?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know saltpeter is pottasium nitrate, and probably something you can find on the shelves(short term this would be fine, but I know Randy would rather us dose sodium nitrate).

Not sure what you could use off the store shelves for phosphates though.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick question. What is in the aquarium right now? Curious about where dinos came from.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made the first dose yesterday AM. The formula provided by Brightwell came out to 27ml for 2 PPM nitrate, I did 30, and was tested on my Red Sea kit and a Hanna nitrate checker, slight pink on the RS kit for about 2 PPM, the Hanna said 2.3.. I added another 10ml today, and I'll retest tomorrow.

Phosphate was about 9ml by their calculation to get to .02. I dosed 10, Hanna reads .03 this morning.

I was a bit concerned my test kits were incorrect, but looks like they weren't.. In 20+ years I've never had a tank that didn't have nutrients.. Lol.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back