Nutrients turned into nitrates How long does it take?

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a low nutrient system with a pretty effective skimmer and water change schedule. I’ve recently started to dose Acropower to add nutrients and I was left wondering how long does it usually take for nutrients turn into nitrates? I ask this because I don’t want to dose too much of this Acropower and a few days later wham a Nitrate spike and then a mandatory massive water change. I understand that the process from nutrients to nitrates is food - fish poop - Ammonia - Nitrite- Nitrate but how long does it take the nutrients take turn into Nitrates when dosing Acropower or any amino acid nutrient additive in a 5 year old cycled tank with lots of live rock?
E762E635-0839-49B5-B7CB-9A9018A0A473.jpeg

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Acropower, I have a very small bioload at the moment
2 clownfish a mandarin and a neon Dottyback back,
Oh yea plus roughly 8 hermits and a dozen snails.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, acropower :rolleyes:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/power-up-your-acros.142538/

Shouldn’t be that long.
I tested daily on the No3
Lol that thread is too long to find the answer to my question , which is not about the product itself but the time it takes to turn into nit
Huh, acropower :rolleyes:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/power-up-your-acros.142538/

Shouldn’t be that long.
I tested daily on the No3
sorry man I can’t read through 30 pages of comments, I have OCD pretty bad lol so starting off fresh to find the answer how long it takes to turn into nitrate? I know this is a good product already (reviews don’t lie) and I know you can over use any nutrient product. I have noticed my skimmer skimming more since my first dose two days ago but still have low nutrient readings on phosphate and nitrate.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too long...... :eek: what has the hobbyist become in this hobby :rolleyes:
In the early days we had to read up books in order to understand for where we going or want to be in the hobby.
Then they simplified it with throwing the internet at us and awesome forums but now are threads to long.

“If you think you going slow, slow down even more, as nothing fast happen in this hobby”

Hey where did I read this before..... @saltyfilmfolks

Nitrates are always in your system, it’s just how you want to set your level.
AP is mainly based on AA, if you wanna target No3 directly read up using Sodium Nitrate.
Mix 2 TBS on a 20oz bottle of RODI shake it, let it stand over night to disivle completely and dose 1 ml per 10g tank volume at first for 3 days to see where your level ends up.

Some use stumpremover but that’s a potassium nitrate, both do a good job I just didn’t want that extra of potassium in my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates are always in your system, it’s just how you want to set your level.
AP is mainly based on AA, if you wanna target No3 directly read up using Sodium Nitrate.
Mix 2 TBS on a 20oz bottle of RODI shake it, let it stand over night to disivle completely and dose 1 ml per 10g tank volume at first for 3 days to see where your level ends up.

Some use stumpremover but that’s a potassium nitrate, both do a good job I just didn’t want that extra of potassium in my tank.

Ok I’ll do my homework on sodium nitrate after work. I don’t have any stumps in my tank “yet” so gonna stay away from stump remover plus my potassium is at 400 so I don’t want extra potassium either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may never see a rise in nitrate dosing amino acids, but depending on many factors, whatever is going to happen to the amino acids in the dose will have happened within a couple of days, IMO.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may never see a rise in nitrate dosing amino acids, but depending on many factors, whatever is going to happen to the amino acids in the dose will have happened within a couple of days, IMO.
Thank you for that, I feel like an idiot now cause on the back of the bottle it says does not elevate nutrient levels. I have noticed my green Acro has grown a little bit since the dosing but I did also get my phosphate below .1 too so guess it could be a coincidence either or I feel a sense of accomplishment from getting my phosphate that low by the water change method opposed to chemical additives. Guess I’ll just have to feed a little heavier or possibly use the sodium nitrate to keep my level up if my nutrient levels get too low.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back