Nutrition and Fish Health

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you essentially suggesting that we should try to incorporate more fresh and live foods into the diet of our fish? If that’s what you’re getting at, what do you think of getting fresh / frozen seafood at the supermarket, thawing it in tank water, and feeding it to the fish? Stuff like clams on a half shell, mussels, shrimp, fish, etc.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that all the time and have been saying it for decades. (you didn't read the first post here by Brew did you?)

I wrote an article linked by Brew in the first post of this thread.
Clams, oysters and mussels are the best foods you can feed fish and if you can get them live, it's better. I buy fresh, live clams, the biggest I can get and freeze them myself. Then slice off paper thin slices to feed the fish.
Using this method and feeding live worms a few times a week has allowed my tank to thrive for decades without quarantining, medication or any sickness.

Feeding shellfish is also very cheap, practically free.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people fed correctly there would be no need for the disease forum :cool:

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that all the time and have been saying it for decades. (you didn't read the first post here by Brew did you?)

I wrote an article linked by Brew in the first post of this thread.
Clams, oysters and mussels are the best foods you can feed fish and if you can get them live, it's better. I buy fresh, live clams, the biggest I can get and freeze them myself. Then slice off paper thin slices to feed the fish.
Using this method and feeding live worms a few times a week has allowed my tank to thrive for decades without quarantining, medication or any sickness.

Feeding shellfish is also very cheap, practically free.
I decided to use this method with my new 29 gallon. I’ve watched ich fall off and never return. But now one of my fish has stringy white poop. Should I just continue to feed live and frozen foods? Will that be enough to fight off parasites?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live food along is not the entire story, but it is a good start. There is more to it than feeding.

Back