Nuvo 10 Crash?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can we see updated ammonia test

Looking for change vs holding of same color after several hours, to check for an increase trend

just an update on how the tank handles the suspected single input of ammonia from the water change if applicable

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 sorry for it being so late here you go, ammonia as of 12:50am, looking better!!!!?? I think so according to my eye

IMG_2767.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, whatever api hue that may be it’s not green :)
no rise given a little time things seem nice cruise control setting yay

good job team neat work thread. Nuvo 10 crash averted. By you being so naturally thorough and non hesitant, and not zipping in three shots of Prime in response to some API coloring, we get to watch live time how bacteria that just went through surgery / tank rip clean behave

this thread will help others see that action is ok, and, you're in a system 1/4th-1/10th of the dilution from most tanks we use, you had the most on the line no room for error or fast crash occurs

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@William DeCoursey no, why do you ask? evaporation? salinity? This tank is hooked up to an ATO and all livestock (besides coral) have been transferred to another tank of mine. Would like to hear your answer. Thanks

just a shot in the dark. your ph looked pretty low and you had unexplained fish deaths that could have been oxygen related.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, I tested just ammonia levels of the water w/o salt and then 5 minutes after salt was added. Here are the results

The vial on the left is just water no salt mixture
The vial on the right is the fully mixed water and salt

I will let this salt mix for much longer (15hrs) and then test the water again right before I do a water change before leaving.

Thanks for all the tips and opinions

file-7.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job, I enjoy having this thread at the top of our sand rinse thread. really great laser clear pics n documentation.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 so newbie question but where can I see that sand rinse thread. I found it once but now cant get to it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

we have so many links around its hard to find em

but that's a lot of work. I think its a half a million bucks of other peoples money on the line just like your tank was, only you hesitated the least to get the results. xCryx did perfect too/picked yours for top focus for a while because if people will be thorough, recycles and partial cycles can be controlled, all the time.

its not that a recycle event might occur, its that we can command it to occur or not. all one has to do is decide if the will to break every known rule in reefing is in their dna, then run it if so and your tank will turn out shiny.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we'll have to make the kenya tree corals the mine canary. no celebrating till they look like happy broccoli stalks ha. currently they're knee-capped laying face forward on the playing field.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 correct! I know you said the corals are the last thing you look at when cleaning but I am examing the sunny D's and I slowly see their polyps bulging up. Ya, they aren't pretty right now but you gotta start somewhere right? The mother kenya isnt changing but the frags are starting to perk up slightly. Pictures tomorrow!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its predictable like clockwork but I admit to being scared every time I just never admit it until we're in the clear lol.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

Last photos before off to Australia, another water change done at 9am this morning. Will post when I get back in a month!

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 74

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have left your tank in the best possible biological shape for an extended untouched period. You reduced competing heterotrophs that sap oxygen away from nitrifiers, opened up pores and channels back from the rock, reduced clouding to none that way flow is effective, removed any dead animals that were algae feed while its gone, so many positives here.

take care see ya on the update side :) :)
B

if there's a wee bit of GHA, we can fix that easy upon return

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are you doing and how's tank ‍

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 thanks for reaching out. Sorry I did not post pictures after the month trip to Australia. Basically, I came home and lost that mother colony of kenya tree coral and still a decent amount of algae (but obviously what else should I expect with any reef tank not touched for a month. I then moved back into school about a month ago and have been dealing with some sort of algae issue (PLEASE HELP). I bit the bullet and just bought a 4 stage plus RODI unite from BRS and am mixing up a fresh back and completely stripping down the tank and scrubbing and dipping the corals and rock in hopes of restarting this tank with the freshest start possible. Thanks again and any advice will be taken to heart!

IMG_4154.jpg IMG_4157.jpg IMG_4153.jpg IMG_4156.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey glad voyage went well and I think it looks great still, a little elbow grease ll do ha nice

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 thank you. Does my idea of stripping it down and refilling with fresh RODI sound good? The corals are really struggling with the algae and never really open that much

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back