Nuvo 10 Crash?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to review, you’ve already done the full tank reset it’s 100% done and the corals are back into the tank is that right? To review, you rinsed the new sand totally cloudless before install and the rocks were swished off twist cleaned in buckets of saltwater right/ so they have no detritus

The corals can go back in the rip cleaned tank without wait, they’re not still in the bucket right

Also, per that top post you have reduced lighting 40% intensity or so (no full production lighting intensity after a rip clean)

Things are looking good in the follow up shot just wanted to hit those check points

Your corals now are at the same stress level as when you brought them home, but in the cleaned tank with no irritants they w get happy faster now I bet, drop that lighting intensity down and bring it back up this coming week

This looks to be a successful rip clean just wanted to wait a couple days to get your final take on it in person and another update shot if coral gets better in a few days then we’ll link it to our collection, well done

If you can reach in the tank and disturb sand and it’s this clean below, and your rocks can be swished mid tank and nothing comes off them, then you’ve stopped any crash from occurring. The single most important aspect of a rip clean is that you have zero cloud on the new setup from either sand or rock, this is a totally rinsed sandbed ready for use:

If you are about to leave out of town soon and someone is there to topoff change water etc then the tank is in better condition to be left now vs before with irritants littering the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 everything you said I have done; there is absolutely no cloudiness and nothing has shaken or fallen off the rock structure. The sand is spotless. Some of the Kenya coral frags are starting to perk up slightly (except the mother colony still) and some of the zoas are peaking out (I can see the polyps under blue light but obviously still closed). The tank is hooked up to a 5 gallon ATO so that should only need to be filled once during my time away.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :) cannot wait to feature this thread + I have a friend in pm right now contemplating first rip clean this helps to see a mid stroke CPR run

Zero cloud means total success it's key. Thanks man for updating can't wait

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we updated your thread right in the sand rinse thread even before updates are done. The whole system could die and that threads statements will be held to account, or it won't. You seemed resolved to clean vs partially clean and your pics show it. I think you did export of toxins, CPR via rip cleaning of oxygen-commanding heterotrophic bacteria-laden detritus and you unplugged all live rock pores, thereby restoring filtration activity.

You turned your stilled reef into a fringing reef zone for a minute

Crashing waves

Ejection of detritus not storage

Corals had to adapt to some rough, we w introduce them to a Darwin Award if they don't want to perk the heck up

we think nearly every coral will rise to this occasion when we require it, and we want to know if this is dangerous for reefs or just exactly what restores them. Updates are welcomed

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at any moment you are walking by that tank in the next day or two and it's looking better, but want to boost it there's one single thing that boosts it more than anything: a 25% water change. Yep, on a system that just got a big water change

Not saying you have to, am saying it's the go-to for any perk up if something looks challenged, and if nothing looks challenged it's the ultimate boost to a system already turning around. Even after the first refill there are tiny castings about, just since it was the first. That little 25% siphon around the edges of the rock/ change out that little booster of water for fresh made saltwater is a professional tank tuners trick of the year

Any degree of repeat water changes are power strokes of life for a nano, we can back off pretty quick no prob and it'll run fine on normal changes but these initial strokes are just key options.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 planned on doing 25% water changes the next three days before I leave! Will post a picture after each water change :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great I believe you earned a skip cycle cleaning / thorough

will kick back n enjoy the hopeful recovery thanks for documenting so well. Tank parameters had no factor here, rare.

Resetting your organic stores to none (which we know compound again/circle of life this is the collective waste from the animals we buy, have to revisit the rip clean one day for max lifespan) and starting with a full water change makes your parameters mix up to whatever salt brand you use, and they're all ok, which is why we never asked. Minus the detritus means any params you mix to are fine.

Considering the work above, it's no stretch to imagine I'll change salt brands 100% instantly during one of those runs on my tank. the pico is expected to comply and it does lol so if you want to use same salt for changes that helps to reduce stress, but if you happen to need a new brand one day just change to it, nothing goes wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

Below is a picture of the tank 2 days after the fresh cleaning and 20-30% water change every day so far.

The tests are below to be interpreted for yourselves (rather than just posting numbers). Ignore the pH I tested for Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia.

**Sunny D frag started to turn slightly transparent (assume bleaching) so I reduced the light intensity slightly more.

Corals are not looking different BUT the rock in front is exploding with BB (as you can see by the darkening) so I can tell there is a lot of healthy life in there and it was not wiped out during the clean

file1-5.jpeg

file-6.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yay great updates.

you have CPR'd it well, it will regen as the days and feedings go by. nice response on the lighting its exactly the right move, slow ramp up. its cloudy this week on the reef :) and despite localized stresses, the greater system is bright and shiny.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no this is perfect, we just wait. even the water changes you've done are 100% on par with what makes great rip clean outcomes, no variance, I'm confident we need time. Your little nano is a hospital patient just getting up and getting back to walking after full body surgery, to trouble shoot your tank I look at everything in it but the corals, knowing they'll follow suit if those rocks are free of irritants, the pores are opening up again to expel wastes from those little bugs/pods, its all breathing now.

**any corals that weren't going to make it definitely wouldn't have lasted much longer leaving all the stress in place/dieoff on the rocks and imbalanced water column from lots of waste degrading in-tank, like a set of uncleaned bioballs. you have reset your tank to top condition, and now the inherent genetic strength of the corals will bring them back. I bleached my entire system, that 13 yr nano reef from page 1, from jan-march of this year it turned white. I had a rigged heater system going/non name brand and it had shut off for months and let my tank go to 68 degrees constant. or lower

barely caught the temp error in time...

its all back now due to simple feed water change, feed + water change, CPR set to the rhythm of stayin' alive from the bee gees lol

I predict 100% of your corals come back by next week, and if that's wrong, and we have a true loss of a coral, it'll be the first on our sand rinse thread and I can still say all the others aren't going to die/their home is ideal now.

You've done so much action, there is no more to be done. We watch it reef and rehab itself, in all confidence I think 99.9%-100% of it survives/looks good in a week. You hesitated not one degree. this is probably the best example of a rip clean I've seen I'm moving it up to very first link in the sand rinse thread. well done. normally we wade through 56 different forms of "I can't" before we get to some action, but not here.
B

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be feeding the corals little spot feeds at times they seem most open, whatever a tiny bit of your best feed is... food input/output is now the driver and the tank is clean, has room for some waste, so we can make use of that clean sink by feeding nicely

All of these actions are designed to make room for more feed input as feed input determines Coral regrowth rate and export rate determines how quickly the tank gets to needing touchup work, the reef cycle we're all trying to extend

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that no mechanism exists in reefing to have a tail end of ammonia unoxidized while another portion is oxidized, it’s all or nothing. The number of api .25 misreads are so common on running tank threads, even without cleaning, that I don’t bother mentioning it anymore there’s ten thousand examples on google

Lack of surface area in a reef tank means it can’t handle any bioload, and it dies overnite

It’s that not sustained .25 is sometimes true, it’s that it’s never true and anyone who owns a seneye tester can confirm, it does not occur in reefing unless medication events might be happening undisclosed. We have twenty api misread threads collected in our cycling thread. It’s expected

Your tank will smell bad without testing required if you have a source of ammonia great enough to overpower existing rocks and sand.

Purple is when we’d write new skip cycle rules- so far your tank is the best example of a successful skip cycle in a nano I’ve seen recently. Keep testing if you like. Not a prob, but our course of action doesn’t change. Dose nothing in response to the .25 api reading, we show. no prime, no amquel, nothing

To put an end to this particular concern over ammonia, simply keep updating the ammonia test until tomorrow. It goes to green by midnite if a crash is coming. If it stays at .25 for a long time and never increases, though you have a daily bioload in place, then it’s example #21

Literally everything that happens for 23 pages is happening in your tank and the update pics are the same / pretty neat to observe. Two Kenya corals are mad that were already mad when we started + a clean nano is what I see. The zos will open in a couple more, regeneration takes a few days it’s in recovery mode.

The one action that has no limit is feed + water change, those can be infinite. On my nano page one, if the system was fed then 100% water changed every day vs weekly, the corals would grow twice as fast. Feed in, feed out is how to regen when the greater system is waste flushed

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Thank you for everything, I will post on Wednesday with 1 more water change and a small feed (1ml of reefroids) for the last time before going out of the country for about 3 weeks. Besides refilling the ato and a small feed like mentioned above 1-2x a week this nano will be on autopilot

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@William DeCoursey no, why do you ask? evaporation? salinity? This tank is hooked up to an ATO and all livestock (besides coral) have been transferred to another tank of mine. Would like to hear your answer. Thanks

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that no mechanism exists in reefing to have a tail end of ammonia unoxidized while another portion is oxidized, it’s all or nothing. The number of api .25 misreads are so common on running tank threads, even without cleaning, that I don’t bother mentioning it anymore there’s ten thousand examples on google

Lack of surface area in a reef tank means it can’t handle any bioload, and it dies overnite

It’s that not sustained .25 is sometimes true, it’s that it’s never true and anyone who owns a seneye tester can confirm, it does not occur in reefing unless medication events might be happening undisclosed. We have twenty api misread threads collected in our cycling thread. It’s expected

Your tank will smell bad without testing required if you have a source of ammonia great enough to overpower existing rocks and sand.

Purple is when we’d write new skip cycle rules- so far your tank is the best example of a successful skip cycle in a nano I’ve seen recently. Keep testing if you like. Not a prob, but our course of action doesn’t change. Dose nothing in response to the .25 api reading, we show. no prime, no amquel, nothing

To put an end to this particular concern over ammonia, simply keep updating the ammonia test until tomorrow. It goes to purple by midnite if a crash is coming. If it stays at .25 for a long time and never increases, though you have a daily bioload in place, then it’s example #21

Literally everything that happens for 23 pages is happening in your tank and the update pics are the same / pretty neat to observe. Two Kenya corals are mad that were already mad when we started + a clean nano is what I see. The zos will open in a couple more, regeneration takes a few days it’s in recovery mode.

The one action that has no limit is feed + water change, those can be infinite. On my nano page one, if the system was fed then 100% water changed every day vs weekly, the corals would grow twice as fast. Feed in, feed out is how to regen when the greater system is waste flushed
I agree that the .25 readings are often errors, but not .50 . If you haven’t been letting your saltwater fully mix for 24-48 hours you could be introducing ammonia that way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back