Nuvo 10 gallons Equipment help

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
trying to get a nuvo 10 gallons when I move to my new place , stuck between either either Santa Monica .6x algae scrubber or running of the the high end nano skimmer ( eshops, name, or aquamaxx ...) In the middle chamber. Thanks

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that small water changes are going to be your best bet for nutrient removal. You may find you do not need either choice above. That said a small skimmer or scrubber can work or even both if they fit. It is always better to have multiple forms if you can. I am a big proponent of protein skimmers, but if I had to pick one device on that size tank I might pick the scrubber because it removes organic and inorganic nutrients. I should say I have never used the specific equipment you mention.

OP
OP
Phamousreef

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a tank that small water changes are going to be your best bet for nutrient removal. You may find you do not need either choice above. That said a small skimmer or scrubber can work or even both if they fit. It is always better to have multiple forms if you can. I am a big proponent of protein skimmers, but if I had to pick one device on that size tank I might pick the scrubber because it removes organic and inorganic nutrients. I should say I have never used the specific equipment you mention.
I'm trying to grow mostly SPS you don't think I need need a skimmer ?

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to grow mostly SPS you don't think I need need a skimmer ?

If you are going to grow SPS, I'd invest in an ATO and an auto-dosing system for 2 part supplements. Growing SPS in that tank is very difficult due to the alkalinity swings you get from the corals using alka / calc and from the evaporation. I wouldn't worry about a skimmer as others have said an just rely on large, weekly water changes.

Matt

OP
OP
Phamousreef

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are going to grow SPS, I'd invest in an ATO and an auto-dosing system for 2 part supplements. Growing SPS in that tank is very difficult due to the alkalinity swings you get from the corals using alka / calc and from the evaporation. I wouldn't worry about a skimmer as others have said an just rely on large, weekly water changes.

Matt
But doesn't SPS rely on consistency? So doesnt big water change will mess up the water chemistry?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not plan on water changes a skimmer will definitely help. I am no expert in SPS.

OP
OP
Phamousreef

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do plan on doing a consistent water change thinking about doing 1 gallon water change twice a week or a 2 gallon water change once a week , but I heard SPS require very clean water that is why I'm trying to figure what is the best way to keep them alive and thrive

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But doesn't SPS rely on consistency? So doesnt big water change will mess up the water chemistry?

They do require stability, so your new water needs to be pretty much in line with the water in your tank from an Alka/Ca/Mg perspective. If you are dosing, topping off, and using a consistent salt mix you should be able to do this. The large water changes are your way of excess nutrient export (don't keep the tank "too" clean or your SPS will die from lack of nutrition!).

I've seen people use micro algae scrubbers with great success so I'd look into that too. I tried the Innovative Marine Ghost Skimmer and it just didn't work well. Microbubbles, poor skimmate production, fussy water level requirement, etc.

Throw in a bag of carbon, get some good flow, do regular water changes on top of the dosing/ato and you're golden.

OP
OP
Phamousreef

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do require stability, so your new water needs to be pretty much in line with the water in your tank from an Alka/Ca/Mg perspective. If you are dosing, topping off, and using a consistent salt mix you should be able to do this. The large water changes are your way of excess nutrient export (don't keep the tank "too" clean or your SPS will die from lack of nutrition!).

I've seen people use micro algae scrubbers with great success so I'd look into that too. I tried the Innovative Marine Ghost Skimmer and it just didn't work well. Microbubbles, poor skimmate production, fussy water level requirement, etc.

Throw in a bag of carbon, get some good flow, do regular water changes on top of the dosing/ato and you're golden.
Also if I doing a gallon or two a week should I dose still?

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if I doing a gallon or two a week should I dose still?

depends on the salt. I have the same tank. No skimmer, just marinepure spheres and chemipure. I use red sea coral pro salt and do about 3 gallons a week. Feed really light, an only have one fish and have no issues with nutrients at all. I will probably back down my water change schedule as it matures.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment I’d suggest is,
- an ATO (auto top off)
- kalk dripper or dosing pump
And good light/flow if you’re looking to keep SPS.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back