NUVO EXT 40 Gallon - Trigger Systems Triton20C v2 Cube Sump - 20 inch

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the precipitation, it generally happens if you add the calcium and alk doses simultaneously. Are they staggered? Dosing alk for 12 hours, Ca for 12 hours? 4 hours back and forth? Something like that should help. If they're being added at the same time you'll be more prone to the precipitation.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***~Update~***
8/29/19

Cleaned top layer of sand bed.
Cleaned up more of the Cyano in refugium
Changed Filter socks
Cleaned skimmer Cup *Dry*

Seems like the salt I use is low in alkalinity. Is that bad?

When it comes to precipitation issues what have you done to improve it? Not sure if that is what I am encountering. Have read a bunch of articles but can’t seem to figure it out. @Randy Holmes-Farley

Alkalinity stays between 6.2 - 6.8
PH 7.98 - 8.14
Nitrate - 5
Ammonia 0
Phos- .03 - .1
Mag- 1425
Cal- 455
Alk- 6.2 - 6.4

Yesterday Alk was at 6.6 and today it’s at 6.2. Calcium was at 465 and today’s its at 455.

I am dosing 9ml of Alkalinity - 12 doses .8ml per dose. And 6ml of Calcium - 12 doses .5ml per dose. Red Sea.

It seems as if there is air in the lines though so it might not be dosing appropriately although I had primed and calibrated.

Should I reduce the quantity of doses And increase the amount of ml per dose? Does that make a difference. From my understanding the one effects the other ( precipitation ) vice versa.

I have Alk dosing half hour before the calcium doses.

E4D2D103-2EC4-4A0E-8737-E56F458ABFA8.jpeg 87DD1866-6244-44E7-95FF-C5D5E935F077.jpeg DA3ECE9E-A1E7-48F4-B49C-713E67F2CF8E.jpeg
I need a go fund me account for @MindStream and my 13 Gal Build. lol who will support?! Jk sorta haha.
Regarding the precipitation, it generally happens if you add the calcium and alk doses simultaneously. Are they staggered? Dosing alk for 12 hours, Ca for 12 hours? 4 hours back and forth? Something like that should help. If they're being added at the same time you'll be more prone to the precipitation.
Half hour apart so I will change it to an hour and a half apart. Going to need to do some math to get it to that schedule

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much alk per day (dKH per day) are you dosing?
I am dosing 9ml of Alkalinity - 12 doses .8ml per dose. And 6ml of Calcium - 12 doses .5ml per dose. Red Sea.

It seems as if there is air in the lines though so it might not be dosing appropriately although I had primed and calibrated.

Should I reduce the quantity of doses And increase the amount of ml per dose? Does that make a difference. From my understanding the one effects the other ( precipitation ) vice versa.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was asking in dKH per day. Liquid volumes dosed never communicate to others how much you are actually dosing unless they know that product well.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When are the doses scheduled to occur? Or how is the table program set up?

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking in dKH per day. Liquid volumes dosed never communicate to others how much you are actually dosing unless they know that product well.
.10 dKH per 1 ml per 100l. Red Sea Liquid concentrate. My tank having 40 gal of water volume which would mean I would need to dose 1.52ml for .10 dKH.

9ml = .6578 dKH dose total.

I think the air in the lines is part of the issue as well. I’m going to be transferring the liquids from the original bottle to the dosing containers. maybe The tube I have inside the bottle is too long and might be a smidge bent causing the spacing?

I will address the air gaps in the tubing and see what happens. If it improves then I will leave it alone and if it still drops I will double the dose amounts.

Thanks so kindly in advance for your help pretty new here so appreciate the assistance and patience! :)

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are the doses scheduled to occur? Or how is the table program set up?
6 doses per day @ 1.6 ml per dose. Alk
6 doses per day @ 1 ml per dose. Cal (not too worried about calcium - keeping Alk is my issue weird)

All being scheduled to start dosing 1 hour before the calcium

Ty!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***~Update~***
8/29/19

Cleaned top layer of sand bed.
Cleaned up more of the Cyano in refugium
Changed Filter socks
Cleaned skimmer Cup *Dry*

Seems like the salt I use is low in alkalinity. Is that bad?

When it comes to precipitation issues what have you done to improve it? Not sure if that is what I am encountering. Have read a bunch of articles but can’t seem to figure it out. @Randy Holmes-Farley

Alkalinity stays between 6.2 - 6.8
PH 7.98 - 8.14
Nitrate - 5
Ammonia 0
Phos- .03 - .1
Mag- 1425
Cal- 455
Alk- 6.2 - 6.4

Yesterday Alk was at 6.6 and today it’s at 6.2. Calcium was at 465 and today’s its at 455.

E4D2D103-2EC4-4A0E-8737-E56F458ABFA8.jpeg 87DD1866-6244-44E7-95FF-C5D5E935F077.jpeg DA3ECE9E-A1E7-48F4-B49C-713E67F2CF8E.jpeg
image.jpg

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 doses per day @ 1.6 ml per dose. Alk
6 doses per day @ 1 ml per dose. Cal (not too worried about calcium - keeping Alk is my issue weird)

All being scheduled to start dosing 1 hour before the calcium

Ty!
Odd... if you're dosing them staggered, then there shouldn't really be a precipitation issue. I doubt it's the concentration as well, since it's a commercial product. As @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned, it'd be good to know a more precise amount that you're adding - potentially diluting the solution and upping the volume and/or number of doses to achieve the same total value

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd... if you're dosing them staggered, then there shouldn't really be a precipitation issue. I doubt it's the concentration as well, since it's a commercial product. As @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned, it'd be good to know a more precise amount that you're adding - potentially diluting the solution and upping the volume and/or number of doses to achieve the same total value
I did right after check it out I however have not received a response just yet.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m going to have to buy a microscope and see what it is that keeps growing on the sand bed. #microscope #sandbed #bacteria #freefloating #cyano #dinoflagelates

I’m also thinking about getting a UV light. Not sure which one though. Currently going towards the Aqua UV 15 Watt Advantage 2000+ Hang on. Open to #suggestions #UV

Did a 5 Gal water change today. My babies were probably stressed out!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to remove a block of the Marinepure biofiltration ceramic media a week or would that be too much too soon maybe every two weeks or three? #marinepure #biofiltration #ceramicmedia #nitrifyingbacteria
#refugium

I feel that it’s essential to do in order to clear up the microalgae/bacteria that is growing. I will be adding more of course so the good bacteria can have a home, keep up with the #bioload as the fish grow and eventually get a pod population going.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back