Here is my newer IM Fusion 40 mixed reef roughly 3 months old
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG

Tank : IM Fusion 40
Stand: Home depot Vanity. Re-enforced for extra support. Sink filled with Gap Filler foam and cut even with the rest of the top. For $160 is was the better looking option than the stock stand.
2 x Radion G4 XR15 with Radion RMS AB+ at Maxed out at 50%
Ecotech MP10 with Backup Battery Lagoon mode 40%
IM Spin stream x2
Jager 100W heater
Filtration IM Custom caddy on one side running Filter floss, Chemipure Elite and Brightwell Xport BioMedia cubes and a Filtersock in the other chamber. Stock pump.
Smart AutoAqua ATO. Trigger Crystal 5 gal reservoir
Skimmer Aquamaxx HOB-1. Still have yet to use it.
Rock- Pukani Dry rock- Originally cured for over 4 months and then had been sitting in the sump of one of my other tanks for over 9 months.
Sand- CaribSea Dry Special grade
Salt- RedSeaCoral Pro
Screen- stock IM frame replaced screen with BRS 1/8 clear screen

Livestock
Longnose hawkfish
Rubriventralis Fairy Wrasse

Corals
Jedi-Mindtrick Monti
Reverse Superman Monti
Sunset Monti
JFox Halo Monti
JFox Slow burn monti
WWC Blue Polyp Monti
Metershower Cyphastrea
Blastomussa x3
Zoas- Dragon eyes, Mandarins ,Rastas
Fungia Plate coral
Elegance coral
Splatter Hammer coral
Purple tip Frogspawn coral
Golden torch coral
Toxic Waste Leptoseris
Blue eye leptastrea
Hollywood stunner
Rock Flower nems x2
Bali Ice Fire Acro
WWC Phantom Acro
WWC Mirage Mille
Cali tort Acro
UC Indo Unicorn Acro
Other no name Acros
WWC Cotton candy Chalice
Pink Panther Chalice
JFox Dayglo Favia
Other no name Favia

Parameters
SG 1.025
ALK 9.0
CA 430
MG 1420
PH 8.3
No3 0.5-1.0 ppm
Po4 0.03-0.05ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Dosing Red Sea Reefer Coral Nutrition A+B 2oml once a week. Adding 10ml 2x week of Continuum PhytoBlast

Overall fairly pleased with the setup. Love the G4 Radions battling a little Hair algae at the moment. Initially I was going to make this another SPS only tank but decided to change it up a bit.

Future additions Santa Monica drop 2.o algae scrubber if GHA turns into an issue. I may swap out the stock pump for a Sicce. Stock pump is a bit loud. Artfully Acrylic top possibly. May add another MP10, Controller and dosing pump possibly down the road. For now 5 gallon water changes weekly is doing the trick. Once more live stock is added I may add the HOB-1 Skimmer. It fits perfect between the two RMS mounts.

Livestock....... I have several QT tanks going with several fish to choose from. Not sure yet on the next fish I'll add. Some corals may come and go. Need to find a home for the Hollywood stunner or break up into frags. It was a freebie frag that was about the size of a pinky nail with a couple eyes when I received it about 6 months ago. I don't mind the look of it. It takes up too much real estate and has a pretty potent sting to irritate its neighbors. Sweepers run 4-6 inches long on it

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!!
Great collection of corals.
With that many corals and only two fish you going to run out of nutrients.
Your No3 is a bit on the low side.
and No4............. we call it here Po4 :D btw you are good on that.
If you keep your No3 that low you might want to drop your ALK to 8.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!!
Great collection of corals.
With that many corals and only two fish you going to run out of nutrients.
Your No3 is a bit on the low side.
and No4............. we call it here Po4 :D btw you are good on that.
If you keep your No3 that low you might want to drop your ALK to 8.
Diesel thanks for catching that typo and the kind words. I normally run ULNS in my SPS tanks. So that's where I get it from. ;) I'm tempted to add 3-5 smaller fish soon. Most likely smaller Wrasses and a goby. I do have a small 1.25in Potters Angel which has just about completed QT and I would love to add it but I know the LPS most likely wouldn't tolerate the constant picking. Plus the tank is on the smaller side for any Angel. I do currently feed on the heavy side since the Hawkfish is a pig. Do to the ULNS its the reason I have yet to add the skimmer. Definitely I'll keep an eye on the No3/Po4. Just need to keep a happy medium since some of the LPS might be moved to other tanks and more SPS added to the Fusion 40.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great game plan.
ULNS require a lower ALK 8 or below.
My ALK for SPS sits at 7.8 and my No3 at 4ppm.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great game plan.
ULNS require a lower ALK 8 or below.
My ALK for SPS sits at 7.8 and my No3 at 4ppm.
Thanks again. I think the RedSea ProCoral Salt is what is keeping the ALK a bit higher than I like. My other SPS tanks average 7.9-8.1 which have dosers and I can guage how much is consumed. So those are not to hard to keep within the ALK parameters. Any tips or suggestions on lowering the ALK slightly?

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stunner you have there. I bleached mine into oblivion when I put it under the LED's on my frag tank. :(
This particular stunner seems to tolerate both Radion's and Kessils pretty well. Its normally been mid-tank.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was about the size of a quarter and I had it in my 10g under an AI Prime. As the 10g was getting crowded I moved it to my 20L frag tank under an old school black box unit. It was off to the side getting medium-high light and it went ghost white in a matter of days. Just makes me sad as this is the first thing I've lost in a long time, and I grew it from a piece my LFS was gonna toss out. It was litteraly the size of a finger nail clipping

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was about the size of a quarter and I had it in my 10g under an AI Prime. As the 10g was getting crowded I moved it to my 20L frag tank under an old school black box unit. It was off to the side getting medium-high light and it went ghost white in a matter of days. Just makes me sad as this is the first thing I've lost in a long time, and I grew it from a piece my LFS was gonna toss out. It was litteraly the size of a finger nail clipping
Sorry to hear that. If you were closer I'd break you off a chunk of mine.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. I think the RedSea ProCoral Salt is what is keeping the ALK a bit higher than I like. My other SPS tanks average 7.9-8.1 which have dosers and I can guage how much is consumed. So those are not to hard to keep within the ALK parameters. Any tips or suggestions on lowering the ALK slightly?

Not doing WC with the redsea Pro.
Let you tank sit and test daily for ALK.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build I am wondering what did you do to the homedepot vanity to reinforce it for the tank? I have build a stand out of lumber and I am really not like the why it came out. So I am exploring the vanity idea. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build I am wondering what did you do to the homedepot vanity to reinforce it for the tank? I have build a stand out of lumber and I am really not like the why it came out. So I am exploring the vanity idea. Thanks for the help.
Thank you! As for the reinforcement I used 2x3 and 2x6 underneath the bottom and in the stand. Once all the pieces were measured and cut I used Gorilla wood glue to line up the pieces then nailed/screwed in place once everything was level. Also the back of the vanity was open since its meant to go against a wall. I used 1/2in Masonite that I painted and attached to the back of the vanity. I was able cut out openings for cords and the hose for ATO. Really wasn't too hard to make sure it reinforced and level. Tricky part was the sink portion. I originally wasn't too sure about what to do about it since I wanted to keep the stone top. I picked out a vanity with a rectangular sink to make things easier. I taped off the drain hole and used Gap Filler to fill it in. Once dry I used a bread knife to saw through the foam and used a small hand sander to even it out. Sorry I didn't document the stand build in pics but hopefully this will give you some ideas. Best of Luck!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! As for the reinforcement I used 2x3 and 2x6 underneath the bottom and in the stand. Once all the pieces were measured and cut I used Gorilla wood glue to line up the pieces then nailed/screwed in place once everything was level. Also the back of the vanity was open since its meant to go against a wall. I used 1/2in Masonite that I painted and attached to the back of the vanity. I was able cut out openings for cords and the hose for ATO. Really wasn't too hard to make sure it reinforced and level. Tricky part was the sink portion. I originally wasn't too sure about what to do about it since I wanted to keep the stone top. I picked out a vanity with a rectangular sink to make things easier. I taped off the drain hole and used Gap Filler to fill it in. Once dry I used a bread knife to saw through the foam and used a small hand sander to even it out. Sorry I didn't document the stand build in pics but hopefully this will give you some ideas. Best of Luck!
Thank you for that. That does not seem to be to hard looks like I am going to home cheapo to see what they have for. I can't justify spending 300 on the IM stand. All the reviews I have seen on them are saying they are not fully stable. And I am not going to take a chance on the stand given away and 40 gallons of saltwater go in to the floor. That would end my hobby real fast

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that. That does not seem to be to hard looks like I am going to home cheapo to see what they have for. I can't justify spending 300 on the IM stand. All the reviews I have seen on them are saying they are not fully stable. And I am not going to take a chance on the stand given away and 40 gallons of saltwater go in to the floor. That would end my hobby real fast
That is the exact reason I went with another option. Their stands are overpriced and underbuilt. I feel mine is a lot nicer for about half the price of the IM stand. HD has a lot of Vanities and some are really nice and expensive and others are pretty cheap and not very sturdy at all. I was looking for something that I could adapt to meet my needs and could support a tank with extra reinforcement that wouldn't break the bank.

OP
OP
Highgrade

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice tank! How do you like the spin streams with the stock pump?
Thank you. I like them a lot. Once broken in they quiet down. Mine have worked flawlessly. Most reviews mention they get stuck and need to be cleaned often. I scrub them with a brush every couple weeks to clear any build up around the edges.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back