• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

NYAquatics, mixed experience

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an order from @NYAquatic today. I met the FEDEX driver outside my door as I wanted to get them acclimated straight away. The order consisted of a Blue Hippo Tang, Pearscale Butterfly, Copperband Butterfly, Purple Tang.

Quick review
Pros:
- Clear policies and acclimation instructions
- Mike is a helpful person to talk to
- Purple tang and copperband seemed healthy in bag
- Communication prior to the order was great.

Cons:
- All four bags had inner bag leaking significant water, causing high salinity.
- Pearlscale dead on arrival. I'm not sure if it was because the heat packs didn't reach it, or the leaking water causing high salinity. Or just random bad luck.

Longer review
Right away, I found the Pearlscale dead on arrival. Other fish seem fine. Jury is out on Blue Hippo, but I've heard it likes to play dead. Was definitely active in the bag.

I also noticed every single inner bag leaked. This resulted in a bag water salinity of 1.030g. That was shocking to me. I'm currently still acclimating the fish right up to the 1.5 hour maximum time described by his instructions (this is to match salinity as methodically and deliberately as possible). I think the bag water leaks and evaporation caused it to rise. I am very disappointed in this regard. If it was only one bag, that's just bad luck. All four bags indicates a process failure, especially since the box and cooler were in good shape. I know they did a live sale recently and probably had a ton of orders to get out.

Luckily the other fish besides the Hippo are just chilling in the bucket. I decided to forego quarantine as I have a FOWLR with only one Regal angel, a couple small clowns and a goby. This is due to the high salinity and stress environment of the bag. My quarantine is not cycled, I was going to do water changes but I decided low stress was more important. If sickness does happen I will treat accordingly. I asked Mike about this and he gave me the pros and cons of each, perhaps leaning towards straight into FOWLR.

As far as customer service goes, Mike was reachable and easy to talk to. A little blunt, maybe even brusque, but nothing personal. Just matter of fact and gets to the point. I appreciate that. His policies are clearly stated so no complaints to me from the dead fish (unless it was because of the bag leaking, but no way to tell that I suppose). I will update this review as I put the fish in and monitor their health. I just wish they packed the bags better. As far as if I will use them again? Unsure, would like to speak with him first. My apprehension is not with the dead Pearlscale. **** happens, especially shipping in the dead of winter or summer. My apprehension is with the fact that each bag leaked a decent bit of water. At least one cup if not more.

Will update the review accordingly if fish go south. I hope NYAquatics packs their fish better next time.

Last edited:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back