NYOS 160 Problem - Anyone Else?

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have this hooked up to an Apex? I’ve noticed that mine won’t fill up when I put the Apex switch on AUTO, then when I place it on ON, it works normally. I then switch it back to AUTO. It could be something in my programming though.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have this hooked up to an Apex? I’ve noticed that mine won’t fill up when I put the Apex switch on AUTO, then when I place it on ON, it works normally. I then switch it back to AUTO. It could be something in my programming though.
I think thats apex programming. Mine does the same thing, I belive its due to the defer statement in the program.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with Ecotech and they are sending me a brand new pump. The rep said that he has heard that this has been a motor issue. Once again Ecotech customer service is phenomenal. Should be here in 3-5 days. I'll keep folks in the loop but it might take some time to get the whole unit cleaned and new block in and running. Better yet - if I don't come back here to whine, assume all is well [emoji16][emoji225]

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please report back. Would be good to see if a pump fixes the need to blow into a $500 skimmer every day. I mean I love my skimmer and all but...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with Ecotech and they are sending me a brand new pump. The rep said that he has heard that this has been a motor issue. Once again Ecotech customer service is phenomenal. Should be here in 3-5 days. I'll keep folks in the loop but it might take some time to get the whole unit cleaned and new block in and running. Better yet - if I don't come back here to whine, assume all is well [emoji16][emoji225]
Most importantly let us know if it happens again after 6 months on the new pump too!

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check back in. I'm assuming all will be good for a certain amount of time. So you're right - where it's at after 6+ months of use that tells the story. [emoji3]

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - just received an email invoice (for $0.00) for the new/replacement pump. It's officially on it's way. Oh and although I offered, they did not need me to return the old pump.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick update - just received an email invoice (for $0.00) for the new/replacement pump. It's officially on it's way. Oh and although I offered, they did not need me to return the old pump.

I called yesterday, I had to pay $20 shipping which was fine, but they’re sending me a replacement monitor too. Will keep everyone updated once I’m able to get to the replacement, but optimistic this solves my problem! I was impressed with the speed of support response from them too FYI.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Swapped it out last night, started up as soon as I plugged it in - much different then my prior pump. Time will tell but so far so good!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped it out last night, started up as soon as I plugged it in - much different then my prior pump. Time will tell but so far so good!

what do you mean by monitor in the post above this? awesome the new pump works, if you shut off the pump and restart it, does it pull in the air as it should or do you need to mess with it to suck in the air and work properly

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what do you mean by monitor in the post above this? awesome the new pump works, if you shut off the pump and restart it, does it pull in the air as it should or do you need to mess with it to suck in the air and work properly

It started right up beautifully. Just plugged it in and it was good to go.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. My NYOS 160 just started doing this. For about 9 months I've had to blow in the air to get it going, but after a good cleaning, the impeller needs to be spun for it to get going. Super annoying.

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s a pump failure? Looking to purchase but scared of reviews, so the new skimmers have the new pumps?

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine about once every 6 months. When it kinda stall(not every time), I just lift it out of the water and it kicks in fine.

Not ideal, but just a quick remedy.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the NYOS 160 for about 10 months now and I have this problem about 1-4 times a week. The biggest problem I've had with it is I can't keep it dialed in. It's never been quite right and I have to watch it like a hawk. It's the top item on my list of replacing equipment.

So with that being said, any recommendations for replacing a NYOS 160? :)

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember the last time I have to "kick-start" the pump. I can dial it in pretty easily even when I have to re-adjust for dosing Prazi, Chemi-clean, or other additives into the display tank.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have the same issue. I'm on my second pump from nyos. Changing the pumps did nothing after 3-4 weeks. It's the same results, you need to clean the pump almost twice a month for it to run right. Nyos (ecotech marine) denies any issues with the pumps. Ecotech told me my issue is isolated and basically denied all the threads about this problem, lol. I have to do the same blow air into the intake tube to get it going.

Back