NYOS 160 Problem - Anyone Else?

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this skimmer - and it works great once it’s running. But every time I shut it down to clean it, it’s impossible to get the motor going again. I have to stick something in the rotor and give it a few pushes to get it spinning - and sometimes it takes quite a few tries. Anyone else have this? Is this a sign that the motor is on it’s at out??!

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is not common because I just purchased one, but have you tried contacting the manufacturer? I heard they have really good customer service, they might just send you a new pump

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this skimmer - and it works great once it’s running. But every time I shut it down to clean it, it’s impossible to get the motor going again. I have to stick something in the rotor and give it a few pushes to get it spinning - and sometimes it takes quite a few tries. Anyone else have this? Is this a sign that the motor is on it’s at out??!

The impeller needs cleaning often. One trick is to blow air through the line to jump start it.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should if it is clean. I also don’t think you should have to blow in it to get it kick started.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has just started doing that......I cleaned it and it now works normally so I will have to see if the issue returns. When I say cleaned it, I totally tore it down to each individual piece.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah same here, but still have the issue. I emailed NYOS last night, hopefully they help me out. Will keep you guys posted

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the air intake at the pump. Theres likely a calcification buildup. Once i cleared the obstruction mine starting turning over normally again. Needed a sheet rock screw to twist through the blockage then pulled it out.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a known issue with this skimmer. I normally blow air into the intake line when I’m lazy. But, when it’s stalling on start up, normally it needs a cleaning, not a full clean but the impeller will work.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all - and yes, there was some buildup. But I did full tear down, soak in vinegar, and scrub. Everything was spotless, but motor still failed to start without lots of probing

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a return pump that did the same thing. Examine the impeller. I don't know how long you own it, but after a while, the impeller shaft does show signs of wear (grooving) and needs to be replaced. That solved my problem.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the air intake at the pump. Theres likely a calcification buildup. Once i cleared the obstruction mine starting turning over normally again. Needed a sheet rock screw to twist through the blockage then pulled it out.
Yeah, that is another design flaw. It seems to clog extremely fast......I normally have to clean it out weekly.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is another design flaw. It seems to clog extremely fast......I normally have to clean it out weekly.
I dont quite understand why the Nyos calcifies quicker than any other similar skimmer but it certainly does. I clean mine every couple of months or it jams up.

Seeady66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take the shaft out of the impeller when you cleaned it. If not that may be your problem as it’s hard for vineger to get in there to clean when the shaft is left in.
Doesn’t need much to stop the impeller starting back up
Adrian

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i had this problem twice with mine & Eco Tech replaced both times within the warranty period. I asked about changing it to a DC pump but they replied they didn't know of one that would work.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine since January and it is doing exactly this. Once it shuts down (feeding, cleaning) it will not fire back up on it's own. I have not looked at the air intake but I'll check it out tonight. I have fully cleaned it several times (vin soak, brushing, etc) but nothing has helped.

At the moment the only way I can get it running again is by lifting the skimmer out of the water and placing it back down. Fires up during that.

It's a great skimmer when it works, but due to this issue and somewhat difficult/finicky controls, it's far too much effort.

Does anyone know the US Distributor for NYOS where customers can submit warranty claims? I've heard its Ecotech but please don't hold me to that. :) I'll continue my search...

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does the same, as others mentioned blowing into the venturi line fixes it but i noticed if i just leave it for 5-10 minutes after restarting it eventually starts pulling water back in. it is annoying though that such a nice skimmer otherwise "cant be turned off"

ecotech is the distributor and their customer service is top notch, i havent called them about this issue but others have noted here that their response is dont shut it off....

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the air line hose from the silencer and blowing into it should help avoid having to pull the skimmer out of water to get it started again.

I found the buildup in the air intake of the pump wouldnt clear out simply by soaking or ruinmg in vinegar. I use a sheet rock screw amd twist it through the blockage then pull it out. Its itritating and doesnt happen with my other skimmers but once clean it should start up normally again for a few months before it needs to be cleared again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back