Nyos floating fish trap (TankMatez Bubble trap) OR Aqua medic fish trap?

Which fish trap works best?

• Total voters

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to trap anything specifically at the moment, just wanna keep one around before I end up buying a crap trap when I do need one asap.
I read several reviews online but nobody seems to compare different fish traps.

Which design do you suggest? Anyone got experience with both design by any chance?
nyos-floating-fish-trap_3.jpg_July-29-2021-347pm.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Trap-2.png

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used both tankmatez and the more typical 'box' traps - i prefer the box traps. Haven't used the nyos one but my experience has been that the ones that rotate and float up take too long and fish escapes. Also the round ones need more room to actually work so I feel like the box ones work better for more shy fish. I like just letting a door fall down trapping them. Just have had more luck with the box trap. Both will work and both are a pain, but you really need to consider where you want to place the trap or possible locations.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a fish trap 3 weeks ago. Looked at the Nyos and it just looks like the fish would be able to escape if it's a jumper. Not having a way to completely enclose the fish was the deal breaker for me. Not to mention you have to have enough open space in your tank to allow the trap to be on the wall and enough room to be able to float to the top and not hit anything. It didn't seem to be a good fit for my situation.

I went with the Ice Cap fish trap 150 (small size). It was fairly inexpensive and doubles as a protective box for fish that need to be separated for some reason. It works OK.

There's 2 options to release the door but both are dependent on the user either pulling the fishing line to release the piece holding the door open or tying the line to the door directly and releasing it directly. Both options aren't perfect but it will trap a fish if you get it right.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the tankmatz bowl and the ice cap box, each has its merit. The bigger fishes like tangs seem to favor the bowl, the more skittish ones like the box, maybe because I can put the box closer to their habitat. But my “go to” is the bowl for ease of setup and use. Only when the bowl fail then I will proceed to the box. Filefish, Firefish are two such candidate for the box.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used the icecap trap and those similar to it with great success. IME, the key is to starve out the fish for a few days and then add what food tends to interest that particular fish your trying to catch the most. Over the years ive been able to catch butterflies, tangs, anthias, wrasses, clownfish rabbitfish and a few other types. Only the truly skittish like gobies and blennies have been somewhat elusive.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back