Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday i got a second hand nyos 120 and cleaned it all up with vinegar.

Today I have been trying to get the skimmer up and running although i just cannot seem to get it dialed in.

I managed to get it to skim really wet but wasn't happy with that and went to start tuning again.

Now i cannot get the water height any higher than were the cup joins to the body. Fully open the air screw... Nothing... Fully close the fine water height screw... No difference... And the same goes for twisting the whole stand pipe.

My best guess is ive reassembled the skimmer wrong or something because this surely isnt right. The skimmer is sitting in 21cm of water.

I'll attach a video of what its doing... I don't think the height of the water in the stand pipe is right either. Its only half a cm above the water and i cant change it.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind ive figured it out... I installed the small plastic clamps on to the base upside down causing the body to not sit in the groove on the base and therefore cause a leak. If anyone else has a similar issue i can elaborate further...

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So turns out my celebration was very short lived! I got the skimmer to produce good foam for a while after fixing my assembly error with the mounts... However I found it to be inconsistent and then completely stop producing foam.

On top of the lack of foam, i now cannot get the water height in the skimmer right without giving it so much air that the bubbles are about 1.5cm diameter... Not good.

And finally... The skimmer is sending out loads of microbubbles, presumably from the water exit as i can see some relatively large bubbles in there too.

All i can think of is that the pump is not working correctly? (I didn't clean its internals)

Or its still breaking in from the body being cleaned 2 days ago?

Or there isn't enough bio load in the system even though ive been feeding quite heavy recently and have just nylon filter socks before the skimmer?

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So turns out my celebration was very short lived! I got the skimmer to produce good foam for a while after fixing my assembly error with the mounts... However I found it to be inconsistent and then completely stop producing foam.

On top of the lack of foam, i now cannot get the water height in the skimmer right without giving it so much air that the bubbles are about 1.5cm diameter... Not good.

And finally... The skimmer is sending out loads of microbubbles, presumably from the water exit as i can see some relatively large bubbles in there too.

All i can think of is that the pump is not working correctly? (I didn't clean its internals)

Or there isn't enough bio load in the system even though ive been feeding quite heavy recently and have just nylon filter socks before the skimmer?
Maybe check the pump model make sure it the right pump?I don't have the skimmer sorry

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe check the pump model make sure it the right pump?I don't have the skimmer sorry
Good idea actually, it does seem a bit overpowered to me? When i did have it working the air screw was only open a tiny bit and the exit for the water was very restricted...

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I think it is the correct pump. It says "nyos quantum 1.0" on the back and looks the same as the ones i have seen on YouTube.

Watching this video...

... I have noticed this guy has his in a much lower sump water height than me. Im running mine at 8.5 inches as i read online was correct for this skimmer. Is my water height wrong?

His skimmers bubbles are not exiting the neck but i have noticed they are much slower and calmer than mine. My skimmer is making bubbles alot faster

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im managing to get the bubbles to reach the top of the neck now but i cannot get it to make any foam without completing closing off the air screw.

However completely closing the air screw also makes the skimmer overflow.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for the most part this is what the skimmer is doing. I have managed to get it to do the same thing higher and lower in the neck but cant make it create foam

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I think it is the correct pump. It says "nyos quantum 1.0" on the back and looks the same as the ones i have seen on YouTube.

Watching this video...

... I have noticed this guy has his in a much lower sump water height than me. Im running mine at 8.5 inches as i read online was correct for this skimmer. Is my water height wrong?

His skimmers bubbles are not exiting the neck but i have noticed they are much slower and calmer than mine. My skimmer is making bubbles alot faster
yea ur pump is like it's going way to fast..do u have the bubble plate installed right?..8.5 should fine

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea ur pump is like it's going way to fast..do u have the bubble plate installed right?..8.5 should fine
Im pretty sure its installed right. I did watch that assembly video and that other review video i linked where the guy assembled it.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank u running?
im running a red sea reefer 350, so its 275L tank volume. It contains a medium foxface, a medium moorish idol (who i am feeding a fair bit), a medium/small boxfish that eats alot, a small clownfish and four green chromis. there is also a cleaner shrimp and pistol shrimp who get spot fed. Normally that wouldn't be a very high bioload but the tank is being fed a lot right now due to the idol.

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running a red sea reefer 350, so its 275L tank volume. It contains a medium foxface, a medium moorish idol (who i am feeding a fair bit), a medium/small boxfish that eats alot, a small clownfish and four green chromis. there is also a cleaner shrimp and pistol shrimp who get spot fed. Normally that wouldn't be a very high bioload but the tank is being fed a lot right now due to the idol.
I have a waterbox reef 130.4 running maxspec jump 400 skimmer

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long the skimmer been runing
it was second hand so its been running presumably years or months before I got it. but I got it 2 days ago and cleaned the body, neck, cup and bubble plate and it has now been running for two days. This is what i think might be causing the issue, i think maybe it needs to re establish a biofilm inside before it'll work?

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was second hand so its been running presumably years or months before I got it. but I got it 2 days ago and cleaned the body, neck, cup and bubble plate and it has now been running for two days. This is what i think might be causing the issue, i think maybe it needs to re establish a biofilm inside before it'll work?
I would give it a few more days to break in.....

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U said it completely stops making micro bubbles?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back