NYOS Quantum Thread!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a NYOS Quantum thread, so people can both find a good resource for frequently asked questions, share tips, and more. I think this skimmer is fairly set and forget, but there are a few questions I think I personally need answered at least. There's also some people who DIY changes, such as a cup drain.

Here's my quantum 120:

38052618901_0518fd0a1e_b.jpg

37343292184_b7c67680dc_b.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions:
  1. My cup lid is constantly rattling super loud. Every few minutes I need to go in there to adjust it to stop rattling. Any suggestions?
  2. I feel like everyone says theirs is dead silent, mine is quiet, but not dead silent. I've reassembled the skimmer multiple times to see if I did anything wrong, but never found an improvement. One thing I think is weird, is the power chord from the pump lifts the skimmer body a little because it comes out the bottom under the wedge pipe. I've held the skimmer up and suspended it in water, and the sound didn't go away, but I suspect maybe this is a clue to why my skimmer is still a bit loud. Suggestions?

cc. @ricenoodle @Broadfield

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is quiet, but not dead silent. I also have the 120 on a Reefer 170.

I was careful not to overtightened the screws on the acrylic during my last cleaning, but noticed it was making a little too much noise. Tighten everything again and back to normal.

I purchased the 120 primarily based on the noise recommendations.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the 120. Very happy with it but when it was new I had to put a bottle of NoPox on top of the cup to stop the vibration. Over time it disappeared and no more NoPox needed Sitting five feet away from it right now with no other sound in the room I hear the hum of my Gyre over the skimmer.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is quiet, but not dead silent. I also have the 120 on a Reefer 170.

I was careful not to overtightened the screws on the acrylic during my last cleaning, but noticed it was making a little too much noise. Tighten everything again and back to normal.

I purchased the 120 primarily based on the noise recommendations.

Yeah I purchased the Simplicity 120 and the NYOS 120 to try them out side by side. Overall the decibels were similar, but the sound was different. I ended up liking the NYOS a bit more so kept that.

I actually tried loosening everything a bit, but it didn't help. I probably am currently at the baseline of sound. It's not terrible, just curious if there was more I could do. How does your powercord look for the pump?

I also have the 120. Very happy with it but when it was new I had to put a bottle of NoPox on top of the cup to stop the vibration. Over time it disappeared and no more NoPox needed Sitting five feet away from it right now with no other sound in the room I hear the hum of my Gyre over the skimmer.

Interesting. I guess I have some bottle I could put on top of it.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hooked up a CO2 scrubber to a nyos 120? Was the results worth it?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my own bottle of unused No3P04-x on top of the lid, and it eventually fell into the water. The vibration is so strong that I guess it shook it off. I'm having to adjust the lid every 5 - 10 minutes. It's so loud that I can hear it from the other room. Has anyone else come across so much noise from the lid? I'm thinking of putting a small bead of silicon in the groove to help it out.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hooked up a CO2 scrubber to a nyos 120? Was the results worth it?
I did but didnt see much results. There was an initial spike but went diwn fairly quick. I think i will try and add 3/8 tubing and some adapter instead of using the 1/4” tubing to the scrubber. I honestly stopped chasing PH because tank looks great. Im like 7.8

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Skimmer i git the 120. Only thing that annoys me is getting the skimmr cup off. I feel like im going to crack it sometimes. Mine is silent no problems there

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the NYOS Quantum 160 and it’s sat on a piece of rubber mat type material which was under my original C Skimm 1800 in the Red Sea Max S 650 so this will also help dampen some of the noise and mine is virtually silent.

I seem to remember the power cord shouldn’t affect the skimmer body as there is a small indent for it to go through from memory. I remember this because when I initially set it up I trapped the cord and nearly cut in in half!

I have herd some rattling of the lid in mine since I last cleaned it and these are in line with big air bubbles which are coming from the bottom of the skimmer (inside) so maybe I didn’t tighten everything as I should. I tried to go easy and light tightness this time having cracked one of the plastic Venturi vents inside when I initially installed it.

I’ve also got a big drain cup/tub which lasts ages between emptying. I installed it mainly for when I’m away so people don’t need to mess with it.

I also use food grade silicone grease around the connection junction of the skimmer cup so it’s comes of very easy for cleaning

EDD5AB6A-1188-4D15-A6C7-5F85C09A1E83.jpeg

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the NYOS Quantum 160 and it’s sat on a piece of rubber mat type material which was under my original C Skimm 1800 in the Red Sea Max S 650 so this will also help dampen some of the noise and mine is virtually silent.

I seem to remember the power cord shouldn’t affect the skimmer body as there is a small indent for it to go through from memory. I remember this because when I initially set it up I trapped the cord and nearly cut in in half!

I have herd some rattling of the lid in mine since I last cleaned it and these are in line with big air bubbles which are coming from the bottom of the skimmer (inside) so maybe I didn’t tighten everything as I should. I tried to go easy and light tightness this time having cracked one of the plastic Venturi vents inside when I initially installed it.

I’ve also got a big drain cup/tub which lasts ages between emptying. I installed it mainly for when I’m away so people don’t need to mess with it.

I also use food grade silicone grease around the connection junction of the skimmer cup so it’s comes of very easy for cleaning

EDD5AB6A-1188-4D15-A6C7-5F85C09A1E83.jpeg
Food grade silicone grease!!! Bravo

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade silicone grease!!! Bravo
You will wonder how your ever lived without it lol!!!

Just slides off and slides back on again, smooth as silk.

RhynoNynja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the Nyos 160 and I am having issues with it priming (if that's what you call it). When I turn it on the pump spins up, but no bubbles are produced. The first few times this happened I thought maybe it was just due to it being new and not broken in, but I have had it running for 1 week now and every time I restart it I have to play with it for 5 - 10 minutes to get it to produce bubbles. I finally figured out tonight that if I pull it out of the water until the input nozzle sucks a bit of air that will kick start it into producing bubbles. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I can check? The skimmer is running in the recommended 8" of water and I don't see anything physically wrong with the skimmer. Once it gets going it seems to produce a good skimmate, but having to fiddle with it every time I start it up is annoying.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. Was told by eco tech this is just fine. They swapped out the motor block but that didn’t help. So I️ never shut it off anymore. I’m very unhappy.

Easy way to restart - disconnect Venturi hose at top and blow into it. Mine fires right up when I️ do that.

RhynoNynja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. Was told by eco tech this is just fine. They swapped out the motor block but that didn’t help. So I️ never shut it off anymore. I’m very unhappy.

Easy way to restart - disconnect Venturi hose at top and blow into it. Mine fires right up when I️ do that.

Thanks for the reply. I figured the blowing into Venturi hose trick tonight after I posted this. That does work very well.

Very annoying that you have to do this to a $500 skimmer! I have emailed Nyos and Ecotech, we’ll see what they say.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had that issue on a 120, but I've seen that before when there's a bubble stuck inside the pump. I'm not sure that's your issue, but you can try it. Remove the cup and anything else in the way while submerged, and tilt the skimmer all sorts of directions and shake gently to see if any huge bubbles come out of the pump. If you see some pretty big bubbles escaping, that could be it? Might be a long shot, and maybe you tried it.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a chronic problem for me. Ecotech wouldn’t ship me a replacement and I didn’t want to send the whole thing in and be skimmerless for a month. I️ may just get a better skimmer and sell the nyos or keep it as a spare. Frustrating.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my NYOS Quantum 120's cup lid is officially the worst. It's so bad. It vibrates so much that even the heaviest objects I can find get tossed off the lid after some time, and it goes back to the loudest rattling ever. As soon as I touch the lid, it's quiet. No matter what I do, it'll go back to rattling.

I'll probably get some big rubber bands. Just kind of sucks that such an expensive thing has this weird rattling problem.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back