OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the sliced airline on my skimmer cup, and it makes a HUGE difference. My decibels are down by 4 points, bringing it down to 57dB (down from 61/62). Even though the lid would be quieted down by moving it or putting something heavy on it, it was still a big source of noise.

I'm so happy you guys mentioned the airline tube trick. This is such a great improvement. If you guys haven't tried it, I would highly recommend it!

Thanks @Scurvy and the guy who thought it up in the first place!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue others on this thread have had. My NYOS 160 will not restart after doing a feed mode on my APEX. I would blow into the air line as well....but super annoying. I've had it for over two years and it's not really dirty. My old Nac 5 still doesn't do this on my mandarin tank. I keep thinking it has something to do with how much water is being let in on the main adjustment pipe, but nothing seems to help.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue others on this thread have had. My NYOS 160 will not restart after doing a feed mode on my APEX. I would blow into the air line as well....but super annoying. I've had it for over two years and it's not really dirty. My old Nac 5 still doesn't do this on my mandarin tank. I keep thinking it has something to do with how much water is being let in on the main adjustment pipe, but nothing seems to help.
Next time you do a good cleaning on it take a look into the venturi. Circled in the shot below. Mine was essentially clogged with some sort of calcification when I found it. If you can clear the blockage it should start up normally for a good while until it needs another cleaning. I needed a flat head crew driver to work in there and scrape it out. I also used a sheet rock screw twisted down through the air inlet to twist in and pull the blockage out. Just be careful not to snap/crack any of the clear plastic.

images

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you do a good cleaning on it take a look into the venturi. Circled in the shot below. Mine was essentially clogged with some sort of calcification when I found it. If you can clear the blockage it should start up normally for a good while until it needs another cleaning. I needed a flat head crew driver to work in there and scrape it out. I also used a sheet rock screw twisted down through the air inlet to twist in and pull the blockage out. Just be careful not to snap/crack any of the clear plastic.

images

My NYOS started getting this same issue about a year after setting it up. After a good cleaning it stopped! I also cleaned the piece pictured in Scurvy's post, which I guess probably did the trick.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my NYOS Quantum 120, noticed that the impeller "head" is cracked. Everything seems to work OK, but there does seem to be a heck of a lot more air bubbles (maybe unrelated?).

IMG_4337.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my NYOS Quantum 120, noticed that the impeller "head" is cracked. Everything seems to work OK, but there does seem to be a heck of a lot more air bubbles (maybe unrelated?).
I would think you might see larger air bubbles if the rotation of the needle wheel was impacted at all, not necessarily more. They may not get chopped up quite so fine with a slower rotation?? Seems like an odd spot to crack... How dirty was the pump? Any extra gunk inside the housing around the magnet that might cause torque?

I'd probably call looking to get a replacement. My luck being what it is that piece would snap after I put it back together and started it up. ;Dead;Dead

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you might see larger air bubbles if the rotation of the needle wheel was impacted at all, not necessarily more. They may not get chopped up quite so fine with a slower rotation?? Seems like an odd spot to crack... How dirty was the pump? Any extra gunk inside the housing around the magnet that might cause torque?

I'd probably call looking to get a replacement. My luck being what it is that piece would snap after I put it back together and started it up. ;Dead;Dead

Hmm, yeah not entirely sure if it's slower or faster. I guess what I meant is that there's a ton of microbubbles coming out of the skimmer body through the outlet now. Up until recently I never had this issue, and I can here a hissing. I guess I could fiddle with how I reassembled the body to see if that helps, or maybe just get this impeller fixed first to see if that is causing anything.

The pump itself was fairly clean. My tank has no coralline (separate issue, or good thing maybe), so there wasn't much buildup other than some poop.

I've emailed NYOS, but maybe I need to call. And yeah, I was totally prepared to snap the whole impeller by accident when putting it back in. Somehow it survived!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found how to clean the inside of the long tube at the back yet if indeed it’s possible?

Mine has some gunk inside it and I can’t find anyway in. I’ve emailed NYOS twice and not even had a reply which is pretty rubbish after care and I’m even closer to them in UK

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found how to clean the inside of the long tube at the back yet if indeed it’s possible?

I know you are able to pull that tube up and out of the bottom outlet area which lets you get fingers into the outlet of the body for cleaning. I thought the upper part of the long tube was solid though. Ill have to give a closer look.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy in a local forum has had one running for 2 years and is asking $200 for a Nyos quantum 160. I’m interested but worries that it’s been running for 2 years.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy in a local forum has had one running for 2 years and is asking $200 for a Nyos quantum 160. I’m interested but worries that it’s been running for 2 years.
I can tell you my 120 has been running about 2 years and Ill be taking it from my 65g onto my next 110g without a 2nd thought.
Ask to see it cleaned up and broken down. Take a look at the pump for any signs of damage/wear and decide from there. Assuming its in decent shape then $200 is a dang good price for a 160. Ive seen them listed for 300/350 on here.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be pretty clean. I asked for more details on it.
9573A1C9-4F38-4E19-985B-3003114867DC.png
Hard to be sure but that looks like a 120 to me. Could simply be the image playing games with me but it looks slimmer than a 160. Google the 160 and check the images. The body has a more wine glass shape to it. The 200 price is more in line with a used 120.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hooked up a CO2 scrubber to a nyos 120? Was the results worth it?
Yes....I have ran mine to a reactor filled with soda lime for almost 6 months now. Made a HUGE difference in PH levels....both keeping it up around 8.2-8.3 and more importantly, holding it there.

Nyos.jpg
NyosCO2.jpg

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Ecotech for a replacement skimmer cup for my 120, and they want $150 for just the cup. I guess I'm better off buying an used skimmer and using the parts at that point

saltybadger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

So got my hands on a Quantum nyos 160. The pump itself is quiet, But once i open up the air intake, the impeller sounds like its grinding and rattling!
It makes this noise fully assembled and completely apart with just the venturi pipe attached to the pump. So i know nothing other than the pump/impeller is making the noise.

I've pulled it apart and put it back together 20 odd times and there is no noticeable damage.

Its used and about 2 years old. Any ideas?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

So got my hands on a Quantum nyos 160. The pump itself is quiet, But once i open up the air intake, the impeller sounds like its grinding and rattling!
It makes this noise fully assembled and completely apart with just the venturi pipe attached to the pump. So i know nothing other than the pump/impeller is making the noise.

I've pulled it apart and put it back together 20 odd times and there is no noticeable damage.

Its used and about 2 years old. Any ideas?

Probably a blockage inside the nipple of the Venturi. Pull the pump apart and stick a tooth pick or sheet rock screw into the nipple where the air line attaches to it. Calcium has a tendency to build up in there preventing proper air flow. I need to clear mine probably twice a year or I get that grinding sound as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back