O M G ich

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all I got ich in my tank AGAIN OMG I just cane out of a fallow period in MAY all my fish survived were clean of ich for 2 months. I’m Acc going to cry I don’t know if I can do this again. I upgraded tanks and I did buy a protein skimmer and heater used, thinking it came on them?

My current livestock is : blue tang yellow tang foxface rabbitfish Lamark angel coral beauty tailspot Blenny diamond goby 2 clowns and a fire fish and 4 chromis.
I have 2 spare tanks, a 300L and a 70L will this be enough for the fish?
I’m thinking of buying all the fish I want, flame angel, few anthias midas Blenny yellow corris wrasse. All the coral I want. And then remove my fish quarantine them all and leave DT empty for 3 months and then never buy anything ever again.!

any advise appreciated

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer and heaters were dry, it did not come in on them. If they were wet, even somewhere inside the impeller, it’s possible, though unlikely. You didn’t add anything else to the tank wet since going fallow?

what fish are showing ich. If it’s just the blue (hippo) you could also just remove that fish and manage ich on the rest. Up to you.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer and heaters were dry, it did not come in on them. If they were wet, even somewhere inside the impeller, it’s possible, though unlikely. You didn’t add anything else to the tank wet since going fallow?

what fish are showing ich. If it’s just the blue (hippo) you could also just remove that fish and manage ich on the rest. Up to you.
I added the blue tang fox face and yellow tang after quarantining them with cupramine for 2 weeks. These fish never once showed any sign of ich during the treatment and after watching them for a week. The only fish showing ich are them three. And it was only after adding them to my DT

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the blue tang fox face and yellow tang after quarantining them with cupramine for 2 weeks. These fish never once showed any sign of ich during the treatment and after watching them for a week. The only fish showing ich are them three. And it was only after adding them to my DT
Your tank seems had Ich all along. You weakned the fish by drugging them and killing their immune system a lot; and now moving them to a new place.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seems had Ich all along. You weakned the fish by drugging them and killing their immune system a lot; and now moving them to a new place.
The tank was empty for 80 days how can that be?

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was empty for 80 days how can that be?
Ich seems prety hard to kill from what I have read. As you said, you already had other fish in tank and had ich previously. Fish may have ich but never show symptoms. If ppl feed their fish well adn crate a low stree place, you will not see ich pop up..

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the skimmer or heater wet in any way? down in the pump or anything?
The pump for the skimmer was definetly wet Cos when I tried clean it out water cane out the pump and I could even see fish waste etc

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich seems prety hard to kill from what I have read. As you said, you already had other fish in tank and had ich previously. Fish may have ich but never show symptoms. If ppl feed their fish well adn crate a low stree place, you will not see ich pop up..
My old fish that survived the first quarantine period and ich outbreak, they aren’t showing any signs of spots or flashing. The new fish I added 2 weeks ago all have a few spots on them

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich seems prety hard to kill from what I have read. As you said, you already had other fish in tank and had ich previously. Fish may have ich but never show symptoms. If ppl feed their fish well and crate a low stree place, you will not see ich pop up..

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If treated in copper for 2 weeks does that not kill ich? Because they all had spots when I did that treatment and by the end none of them did and carried on for another 6 weeks with no spots

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all I got ich in my tank AGAIN OMG I just cane out of a fallow period in MAY all my fish survived were clean of ich for 2 months. I’m Acc going to cry I don’t know if I can do this again. I upgraded tanks and I did buy a protein skimmer and heater used, thinking it came on them?

My current livestock is : blue tang yellow tang foxface rabbitfish Lamark angel coral beauty tailspot Blenny diamond goby 2 clowns and a fire fish and 4 chromis.
I have 2 spare tanks, a 300L and a 70L will this be enough for the fish?
I’m thinking of buying all the fish I want, flame angel, few anthias midas Blenny yellow corris wrasse. All the coral I want. And then remove my fish quarantine them all and leave DT empty for 3 months and then never buy anything ever again.!

any advise appreciated
Would all those fish be ok in a 300L tank for 2:3 months?

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I read this wrong. You had ich the first time around, you went fallow for 80 days right? During that 80 days, did you add any inverts or coral to the tank? That would have reset your fallow period.

Let's say you did not add anything and it was a full 80 days. Great. You added your older fish back in the tank. During that QT time, you treated with copper for 2 weeks? When you did the fallow period, where was the fish? I assume you had them in the QT for 80 days as well right?

Did you measure copper levels to make sure they were in the therapeutic range consistently? If it drops at anytime, the timer resets.

For your new batch of fish you added, while I think 2 weeks is the recommended time for QT copper, I tend to go longer periods to play it safe. When I QT, I try to do it for a min of 4 weeks up to 8 weeks, I am not in a rush to put something in my DT without 100% certainty they are good.

lastly, let's just say your QT was perfect, and no fish had ich. After you moved all the fish to your DT, did you add anything new that was "wet"? Inverts, corals etc? IF you did, without QTing the coral or inverts, it's possible ICH came in via a coral/invert.

I believe the Tomont stage of ich can host on aa frag plug, snail shell, etc. This is why for Coral/inverts people QT for 76 for corals and inverts to make sure the ich hatches and dies.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If treated in copper for 2 weeks does that not kill ich? Because they all had spots when I did that treatment and by the end none of them did and carried on for another 6 weeks with no spots
Unfortunately I would say No. Its too bad so many think this about copper and wonder why/were they went wrong. A better, more sure way to rid your fish of Ich is to use the Tank Transfer Method.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back