O M G ich

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, another victim of the great ich scam.

your fish will always have ich. Ich is not a death sen by any means. What does in fact kill fish is when there is a problem within your tank that causes the fish to get stressed and therefore their immune system becomes compromised and parasites can take over. A healthy fish will never die from ich.

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is a pretty big mess. What I would do is remove anything susceptible to copper poisoning and treat the DT. Then I would do a lot of frequent water changes and eventually I would put all the things you removed, back in the tank. Sound like a plan?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is a pretty big mess. What I would do is remove anything susceptible to copper poisoning and treat the DT. Then I would do a lot of frequent water changes and eventually I would put all the things you removed, back in the tank. Sound like a plan?
In my experience I would say no, not a plan. Remove fish, research and execute the Tank Transfer Method on the fish, go fallow in the display for the correct time with out adding anything for that period. While the DT is in fallow continue to feed coral, do water changes, vacuum the sand, ect. After the TTM put fish in there own tank, this can be a very simple set up just watch ammonia levels and monitor while the DT is in fallow. Once fallow is over and fish have not shown signs put back in the DT. Thats a plan, long and time consuming yes but a better way to be free of Ich. Don't trust copper!

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
In my experience I would say no, not a plan. Remove fish, research and execute the Tank Transfer Method on the fish, go fallow in the display for the correct time with out adding anything for that period. While the DT is in fallow continue to feed coral, do water changes, vacuum the sand, ect. After the TTM put fish in there own tank, this can be a very simple set up just watch ammonia levels and monitor while the DT is in fallow. Once fallow is over and fish have not shown signs put back in the DT. Thats a plan, long and time consuming yes but a better way to be free of Ich. Don't trust copper!
NOOOOO pls so copper doesn’t even work ah. I really don’t have time Nor the tanks for the tank transfer mEthod was really hoping doing copper treatment for 2 weeks on the fish in seperate tank, while dt empty for 76 days would be fine

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I read this wrong. You had ich the first time around, you went fallow for 80 days right? During that 80 days, did you add any inverts or coral to the tank? That would have reset your fallow period.

Let's say you did not add anything and it was a full 80 days. Great. You added your older fish back in the tank. During that QT time, you treated with copper for 2 weeks? When you did the fallow period, where was the fish? I assume you had them in the QT for 80 days as well right?

Did you measure copper levels to make sure they were in the therapeutic range consistently? If it drops at anytime, the timer resets.

For your new batch of fish you added, while I think 2 weeks is the recommended time for QT copper, I tend to go longer periods to play it safe. When I QT, I try to do it for a min of 4 weeks up to 8 weeks, I am not in a rush to put something in my DT without 100% certainty they are good.

lastly, let's just say your QT was perfect, and no fish had ich. After you moved all the fish to your DT, did you add anything new that was "wet"? Inverts, corals etc? IF you did, without QTing the coral or inverts, it's possible ICH came in via a coral/invert.

I believe the Tomont stage of ich can host on aa frag plug, snail shell, etc. This is why for Coral/inverts people QT for 76 for corals and inverts to make sure the ich hatches and dies.
I didn’t add anything to the tank for the 80 days once I added the fish back i upgraded tanks and bought a heater and protein skimmer and a return pump thinking something came on them. The fish were in copper for 2 weeks then I did water changed every 1/2 weeks in the tank for the remaining days during DT was in fallow period. Il be honest I didn’t check copper except the first time I added the 2nd dose it was 0.5 I think? And I didn’t do a water change for 2 weeks

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

NOOOOO pls so copper doesn’t even work ah. I really don’t have time Nor the tanks for the tank transfer mEthod was really hoping doing copper treatment for 2 weeks on the fish in seperate tank, while dt empty for 76 days would be fine
I won't be as bold to say copper doesnt work but i dont trust it. Ive read so many posts about your very situation. I used 15 gal rubbermaid bins for doing ttm with 10 fish. A cheap airator, tubing and stones. The tube and stone gets tossed after each transfer, so extra tube and stones. A couple chunks of large pvc for hiding and cheap heaters. Proper ttm takes around 2wks also but yes its a little more involved.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back