o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Voice this time...

Just wanted to load the drone video to see if anyone thought it was interesting. Hoping to do a complete system review video in the next few weeks. Dealing with some health issues. But all the major aspect of the system overhaul are pretty much up and running.

Dave B

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting set up.. from the drone to the security web feed to the tanks to the new midstream. I love all those toys.. LOL. I have a few myself. But I have not dropped the dime on the viewer I see you wearing.. Nice...!!!

U

User1

View Badges
No Voice this time...

Just wanted to load the drone video to see if anyone thought it was interesting. Hoping to do a complete system review video in the next few weeks. Dealing with some health issues. But all the major aspect of the system overhaul are pretty much up and running.

Dave B

Hope you feel better. I liked it. Then again I'm biased because I enjoy your tank and videos.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it's been so long since I updated the thread. It's mid September and the fish and corals are doing better than ever before.

Corals are growing like crazy - Colors are awesome. Colors were actually better about 6 weeks ago, but I got lazy in keeping the dosers fiiled an runnning accurately.

Using the Coral Essentials product line has been super easy and the results have been great. Colors better than any other time in the past 15+ years of keeping SPS.

Here are some video of what's been going on in the past few months.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinals that were born last March in our system are now parents. With so many fish in the frag tank the wife wanted me to try to do something to try to save the babies. Last night we shut off all the lights in the back yard and then tried to catch a small Bangai in a 180g frag tank with 500+ frags in it. It took about 10 mins and we got him. And fortunately when we got him he didn't spit out his babies until he was in the net. I had no idea there were that many baby fish in his mouth. I always thought they had like a dozen babies. But in this short video you can see there were alot more than a dozen.

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Dave,

just got done reading most of your story. I must say congratulations on your persistence and ability to grow such a successful system. I also really like that you have followed your own path. Thank you for taking the time to document and share with us.

Regards

Shaun

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I caught my Goldflake Angels spawning one night. I have lots of contacts in the hobby and nobody has ever heard of Goldflake Angels spawning in captivity (ever).

Tonight while heading upstairs to bed at midnight I caught the Goldflakes getting a little frisky. I grabbed my cell phone and managed to catch not 1 but 2 pairs of angels spawning - in less than 90 seconds (the video is 100% unedited).

This tank also has a trio of spawning Bellus Angels, a trio of spawning Flameback angels and last week for the first time ever I caught my Venustus angels spawning.

Here's a chance for you to see something that perhaps nobody else ever has until tonight.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up reading through most of the story here - absolutely incredible and a gorgeous tank. So glad that you persisted through the hardships and love to see all the fun gadgets getting good use :D

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. When I leave the midwest and retire - I am going to go to a place where I can keep reef tanks outside in the backyard. So cool.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow what a roller coaster for you. With the multiple catastrophes you've had, it's difficult to come back. I'm glad you did; your outdoor tank is nuts. I'm in SoCal and thought about doing something like that, but then I realize it's another tank to take care of. Scrapped that idea fast!

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simply amazing.. Cant believe you have hammers and angels.. MY angels always ate mine... nice system.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Sorry for your losses over the years. But you are dedicated beyond most people. The power company should have paid for your losses imo.

What do you feed 170 fish every day? Do you quarantine fish? If not it seems your doing great with diseases.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've followed your YouTube channel for a while now. Nice tanks and I certainly miss living in California! Quick question...

Do you think there's a happy place for PAR between the 1600 PAR outside and 300 PAR most tanks get?

Very interesting to see just how much light they can adapt too, but I feel like 1600 or whatever the outside PAR was....(somewhere around there) is likely way too much, but I also feel that 300 isn't enough.

Thoughts?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been in the hobby for a long time. I am just about to enter my 36th year of keeping reef tanks. I know what you had to deal with in 1996 and I am blown away that you were able to maintain a tank that looked that good. I imagine that you were like me back in the old days and just could not wait for the next Issue of a Reef Keeping magazine to come out. I think I had subscriptions to almost every SW aquarium magazine on the market.They were about the only source of up to date info I could get my hands on in the late 80s up until the late 90s.
Also. like you I am also an avid scuba diver and still collect many of my own corals and fish.

Reading your first few posts and laying out your history of keeping aquariums almost felt surreal for me. While I never took the same level of financial hit I did have crashes that typically came out of left field and in ways that I could never imagined or planed for. Like you I also stepped away from the hobby for periods of time after a crash and would just leave the tank running but not look at it. The Rat in the pipe is almost like a metaphor for how this hobby can be gut wrenching. Your cement story crash reminds me of how the cleaning lady killed my tank by unleashing a whole can of pesticide in the house to kill a few ants near the tank.

I honestly think you should write a book called "The Truth About Reef Keeping". This hobby is filled with so many people that believe you can just throw out cash and get a perfect reef tank. It is only those people who have been in the hobby for decades who know the highs and lows of the hobby and how every possible bad scenario needs to be thought out and blocked before it can happen. Even with all of that there is always a Rat waiting to kill your tank.

Anyway I really enjoyed your thread. I wished I had taken more pictures of my tank back in the 80s and 90s but it was so expensive to buy film and develop it and 95% of the time the tank pictures never came out looking even remotely good, so I stopped doing it very early on.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back