o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Past 6 months have been a challenge. In mid-Nov my Dad had a Heart Attack and I walked out of the house within 10 mins of the phone call and came back home 9.5 weeks later when Mom & Dad were able to take care of themselves. Outside of a heater contactor that failed. The system went 9.5 weeks with a friend changing the Co2 tank on the Dastaco and a couple of people algae wiping so I could use the web cams to keep an eye on everything.

In January the Apex screwed me again (2x), and I had to hire someone to come pull dead colonies while I was taking care of my family. We lost almost 3 5g buckets of colonies from the main display tank alone. It took awhile to get over that loss emotionally because the only way I can avoid that accident from ever happening again is to build my own controller --- And that's one of my lock down projects.

Tonight I was just in the mood to use the camera.....

o2manyfish - 400g Mothers Day  1.jpg

o2manyfish - 400g Mothers Day  2.jpg

o2manyfish - 400g Mothers Day  3.jpg

o2manyfish - 400g Mothers Day  4.jpg

o2manyfish - 400g Mothers Day  5.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that news. I hope your Dad is better now.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear all the bad news, hope your father is doing well.
can you elaborate on what happened with the Apex and if there was anyway to workaround it remotely? I'm a frequent traveler and spent 3 years on remote assignment while tank was run by my wife, and me flying back eveery 2-3 weeks to do the major chores. After a couple of apex mishaps I ended up running a set of bypass cables from DT control pannel to basement so that when apex failed all my wife had to to was to unplug 6 cables from Apex outlets and place them in other outlets and the tank would run without controller relying on redundant temp controllers, built in timers and external timers... it made the setup much more complex and increased my wiring mess yet provided a much needed level of reassurance. I even have another apex brain she can plugin, yet it will need calibration for probes and need to make sure the brain recognized the powerbars in same order as you can't really have a back up plug and play brain for Apex so u haven't used that yet.
from pics you posted I can see tank is doing great already, I'm sure you'll get it to its previous glory. I'm hoping there were no fish losses and also not much coral losses in the frag tanks?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested to hear what failed. You had mentioned a heater contact failed, which we've all probably seen. Over the years, depending on how tight you run your temp, those heater contacts can switch off 100,000's of thousands of times. BRS mentioned in a video theirs failed and after doing the math, noted theirs turned off/on 1 million + times.

I must say, you win the tenacity award in reefing. Every time you face a disaster, you always overcome.

Hope your dad is recovering well!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your dad is doing better, hope you're OK as well, family first!

Based on your pictures, you wouldn't know there was even a struggle! I wanted to come back and tell you that you were my inspiration for grabbing a pair of Goldflake Angelfish!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow; so sorry to hear about the difficult news - best to you and your family, and hope your dad is doing well. The tank losses certainly hurt, as well - but very glad to see that things are looking better now across the board.

U

User1

View Badges
Looks amazing @o2manyfish as always. Really beautiful work that radiates the passion and care. A standard.

Hope all is well with you and yours! All the best.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back