o2manyfish - 750g Display Tank, 1500g System with Outdoor Frag Tanks

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice. i have been following your other thread for years. Did not even know there was this one.

Anyway where did you get those things to hold the r/o tubing bent in the calcium reactor pictures.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

With the new 180g frag tank up and running it gives me the chance to collect more unusual fish.

And with the tank only being a few weeks old, the unusual fish in the frag tank are like nothing you have ever seen before... I guarantee it.

It's a 10min video with me rambling and stuttering. But turn off the volume and see something nobody else has.

Dave B

U

User1

View Badges
Your updates are always a blessing and a curse :) Blessing in that is always great to see what new and exciting things you have going on. You really do amazing with your setup both indoors and out and I enjoy your video(s). Curse in that you have done so much over the last 6 or so months and I look at what I've done in a year and it makes me just want to throw in the towel.

Question on the two unique fish. The Sailfin looks like it is doing really well despite that hole - really odd thing that I've never seen. The blue tang I was wondering what happened? I wasn't sure if people are cutting the tails off like a dog and they are designer (hope not) or if it is just a rare deformity. Looks like they are both doing well in your care. Nice work.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saf1, Don't be jealous of my past 6 months! I was fortunate enough to be able to retire last summer before I turned 50. And then in August was diagnosed with Temporal/Parietal Dementia. So I have plenty of times to play with my tanks and now I'm on task to try to automate and bullet proof everything so that the tanks are a part of my life for as long as possible.

Both these tangs were wild collected. Interesting enough there were 2 of the Small Blue Hippos without tails. One was already spoken for. I spoke with my friends who imported the tangs, and they said the collectors come across tail less fish quite often. But there is only one other "holy" tang they have ever heard of, it was sold for a silly price and ended up in a display tank in a Tattoo & Piercing Parlor on the east coast. Supposedly they inserted an flashing barbell/stud in the tang and it became the greatest viral marketing ever for the Piercing shop.

Dave B

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see your builds on here. Finally made the switch from RC....

When it rains, are you having any issues maintaining water chemistry on the outdoor tanks? Thinking of doing the same down here.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saf1, Don't be jealous of my past 6 months! I was fortunate enough to be able to retire last summer before I turned 50. And then in August was diagnosed with Temporal/Parietal Dementia. So I have plenty of times to play with my tanks and now I'm on task to try to automate and bullet proof everything so that the tanks are a part of my life for as long as possible.

Both these tangs were wild collected. Interesting enough there were 2 of the Small Blue Hippos without tails. One was already spoken for. I spoke with my friends who imported the tangs, and they said the collectors come across tail less fish quite often. But there is only one other "holy" tang they have ever heard of, it was sold for a silly price and ended up in a display tank in a Tattoo & Piercing Parlor on the east coast. Supposedly they inserted an flashing barbell/stud in the tang and it became the greatest viral marketing ever for the Piercing shop.

Dave B

Do you have a link for this pierced tang? I'm gonna go try to find a picture or something now.

Edit: It is quite common for fish to have holes, scars, etc. Most are from surviving some near miss. My scuba instructor told us a story of how he or a buddy accidentally shot an undersized grouper when spear fishing. Pulled the spear out and the fish swam away. Next time they saw that grouper it had a scar where the spear pierced, but it was fine. Fish are remarkably resilient.

U

User1

View Badges
Do you have a link for this pierced tang? I'm gonna go try to find a picture or something now.

If you watch the video above on this page it is there. He spends some time trying to get a good video of it along with Dory the missing tail.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch the video above on this page it is there. He spends some time trying to get a good video of it along with Dory the missing tail.

I watched his video. I mean the one he mentions that the east cost tattoo parlor bought.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see your builds on here. Finally made the switch from RC....

When it rains, are you having any issues maintaining water chemistry on the outdoor tanks? Thinking of doing the same down here.

I don't remember where Dave mentions it, but he has addressed this question before. In case you need an answer sooner than he can respond.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember where Dave mentions it, but he has addressed this question before. In case you need an answer sooner than he can respond.

I’ve seen multiple people ask, but it was directed towards salinity specifically. I’m more curious as to the parameters of the rain water and if it’s caused any effect on the system. After reading through, doesn’t look like it effects the system much. However the amount of rainfall in SC to FL is a bit different?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen multiple people ask, but it was directed towards salinity specifically. I’m more curious as to the parameters of the rain water and if it’s caused any effect on the system. After reading through, doesn’t look like it effects the system much. However the amount of rainfall in SC to FL is a bit different?

Oh yeah, Florida would be a lot different. Especially with the midday showers everyday throughout the summer, but then again with the heat it could be like top off. Just depends on your location to a large city and air pollution.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what your QT system/procedure is. With so many cool and unique fish, do you QT at all? If so, how?

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, Florida would be a lot different. Especially with the midday showers everyday throughout the summer, but then again with the heat it could be like top off. Just depends on your location to a large city and air pollution.

My thoughts exactly. Living in St. Pete, so close to Tampa. The air quality in Cali could produce similar issues. Curious to see what the OP has to say. Maybe collecting some rain water would be the first step. I'd say I'm going to start small, but that never lasts long.....

U

User1

View Badges

He mentioned it in the RC thread he has. I'll have to go back and try to find it. I believe I asked how he manages some of the storms we get from time to time then remembered he is down South vs. us Northern CA types. Storming all last week. He even mentioned how it held up during the fires.

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A truly phenomenal journey. Tons of documentation. I have to say, the heartache (and $$$) associated with so much loss, you are either really stubborn or have an insane amount of patience. Great story!!!

U

User1

View Badges
Nice update @o2manyfish - classy.

Love your setup. Always enjoy your videos. Was it my system that I didn't catch any voice over or was it just the drone coverage.

Back