OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational quarantine still has risk. The fish's immune system may be able to keep it looking healthy while it is actually hosting a disease or parasite. How will you know if they are not carrying anything in their gills? If.medication is not an option for you I recommend the "tank transfer method," or a saltwater molly.
Thanks for the reply

Hmm, that is true. Surely if I go weeks and weeks, any ich would eventually show up, right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I managed to get a picture of the blenny and I saw some white spots on its face

Do you think this is ich or just the pattern? I will try to get the same angle another day to see if they are still there, but just visually do you think it looks like ich?
Screenshot_20231231-031452_Video Player.jpg
Those looks more like nasal pores. If there are some on the other side in the same location, that’s it.
The spots don’t stand up off the body as much as ich does.

Jay

Aqualund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply

Hmm, that is true. Surely if I go weeks and weeks, any ich would eventually show up, right?
It seems intuitive that it would. But that's not a guarantee. You're also forgetting about things like Marine Velvet and Uronema...which are far more deadly and worse to fix in a display Tank. Its just not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems intuitive that it would. But that's not a guarantee. You're also forgetting about things like Marine Velvet and Uronema...which are far more deadly and worse to fix in a display Tank. Its just not worth the risk.
Understandable

Wouldn't velvet be obvious within the first few days, or could that even take some time?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have a tailspot blenny and clownfish in quarantine. I am not medicating. How long should I wait until they go into the display tank? Is 14 days enough or is 30 better? I do see a few spots on the blenny but I am mostly certain that it is just the pattern on the fish, but I will see if these spots change locations or dissapear and reappear

Thanks

Currently I have two fish in observational QT. I wait 90 days.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
The fish have been in the QT for 9 days and the blenny has spots on it but thdy haven't changed or moved positions or dissapeared etc so I can say that there is no ich, right?

Do you think that any signs of ich would have appeared by now?

Thanks

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
The fish have been in the QT for 9 days and the blenny has spots on it but thdy haven't changed or moved positions or dissapeared etc so I can say that there is no ich, right?

Do you think that any signs of ich would have appeared by now?

Thanks

Can you post a picture?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The doesn't look like ICH to me. Looks more like grains of sand or other free-floating material that is clinging to the slime coat.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Same here,
and also 9 days is a long time for ich feeding stage, pretty sure it doesn't last that long, going to continue observing the fish daily and eventually add to the display tank
thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ich will spread and relocate every 24 hours and reproduce and infest the fish. Not sand either which will fall off fairly quickly. Nasal pores or secondary bacterial are suspects

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here,
and also 9 days is a long time for ich feeding stage, pretty sure it doesn't last that long, going to continue observing the fish daily and eventually add to the display tank
thanks
What is your salinity in QT?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ask because, if this turns out to be ICH, you can reduce the salinity to combat it.
With certain fish as Hyposalinity (1.009) can stress out more delicate and smaller fish.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because, if this turns out to be ICH, you can reduce the salinity to combat it.
Yeah
When I had an ich outbreak before I was going to do that but then my refractometer only reads down to 1.015, ordered a new one and it arrived broken so I had to do copper as time was running out as the population of the ich just increased, ofc if I were to do hypo, I'd get a working refractometer that goes down to 1.009

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back